Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 24-11-2017 10:50 PM

Probably only HR really knows, or senior leaders... My guess: In the long term, not much. In the short term, maybe…

I've observed BTs with honours getting promoted (in grade) faster than BTs without. Not sure if that was the deciding factor, though. For ranking/grading (and promotions of more experienced officers), job performance is very much more important.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 10213)
Lastly, do honour grades matter in terms of prospect?

Unregistered 25-11-2017 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 102181)
A HOD should make it to SEO1 relatively easily, which maxes out around 9k. Most will move up to SEO2 (10k) and maybe even SEO3 (12k?) by retirement, even without going up the ladder further.

At SEO level it gets harder to get high performance grade, since you are ranked against other appointment holders. Assuming you really cap at HOD level, let's assume you'll be an average C grader. (I've heard that PB quantum is higher for SEOs, but I don't know the exact figures there). Assuming a more conservative 16 month package, at the SEO1 ceiling that's still about 140k per year. The annual cap could exceed 150k once you hit SEO2.

I'm not that familiar with private tuition industry, but I imagine it's hard to top that unless you are a star tutor, and possibly only if self-employed. Overall I imagine private might net you more $/hour - a major trade-off would be less stability as compared to MOE employment.

You'll probably need to do more research to investigate potential earnings in the private side (or maybe someone more knowledgeable can share?), but your personal job satisfaction should play a part here. Some people I know value the greater focus on teaching within the tuition scene; some prefer the hours; others I know feel a mission to do their part contributing to the public system (cheesy but true).

(Re: your initial question - Saikang projects, if executed well, will help demonstrate your ability to manage resources and timelines. This should, of course, be on top of your core classroom/CCA duties. If you're ‘hungry’, I suggest just being upfront with your RO about wanting more opportunities to learn more. If you're competent enough, he/she should appreciate having a reliable officer to task things to while simultaneously being groomed for further responsibilities.)

16 months is on the conservative side? Wow that's quite high.

Unregistered 25-11-2017 12:21 AM

GEO typically gets 15.5 month package - I'm just assuming +0.5 for SEO. Not sure about exact quantum, though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 101292)
PB for C (default grade) is around 1.5 months.

Mid, end year bonus all vary year by year depending on what is announced for civil service. Conservative estimate of 0.5 months each - total 1 month (it really varies).

Add the 13th month bonus and you get around 3.5 months total?

Unregistered 26-11-2017 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 102113)
Have you spoken to your RO regarding your wish to be part of the leadership track? Schools will typically look at grooming teachers after their 3rd year in service. However, school leaders will usually look for outstanding teachers who have taken on many bigger roles, scholars or teachers who scored distinction during practicum. If you wish to be on the leadership role, you need to let your SLs know your interest and hope that they will give you roles to showcase your leadership.

Is it true that an officer has to attain consistent B grade in the initial few years to be given a higher CEP and be considered for leadership roles?

Not sure how this works, especially when it is the norm to be given a default C grade (or C+) in the year of promotion (GEO 2 to GEO 3), which could be the 1st or 2nd year in service.

newt89 26-11-2017 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 102293)
Is it true that an officer has to attain consistent B grade in the initial few years to be given a higher CEP and be considered for leadership roles?

Not sure how this works, especially when it is the norm to be given a default C grade (or C+) in the year of promotion (GEO 2 to GEO 3), which could be the 1st or 2nd year in service.

Can't say for sure because it is extremely common to get a C grade in the first year of getting a new promotion, but for the CEP to go up, confirm must get B grade before.

Just now someone mention about honours or no, for me at least I got promoted up faster to GEO 3 although my batchmate got a better performance grade than me in the first year, so I guess with honours does help in the initial first promotion. After that it should be based on performance, because my colleague got onto leadership track earlier eventually. Of course another thing to note will be availability of post to get promoted to, if positions all filled up no choice need to wait longer (if staying in the same sch). Currently, because a lot of sch merging, even if sch got position also might be filled up by an external kp from a merging sch...not easy lor...

HOD also got different kind one, some very good at delegating work, got more time than their reportees haha giving tuition also must see what type of kp there are in your sch, some hush hush still ok, but I heard got ppl kenna warn by SL, saying the 6 hr tuition cannot be from tuition agency or tuition center, only can be friends or relatives kind

Unregistered 29-11-2017 04:14 PM

Pb

How much pb for C, C+ and B graders? Thanks in advance

Unregistered 29-11-2017 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 102551)
How much pb for C, C+ and B graders? Thanks in advance

depends on economy
with this yr end bonus of 1mth, good economy
we can expect

B - 3.5 mths - making a total of (~6 mths, plus 13th mth, yr end and mid yr)
C+ 3 mths - making a total of (~ 5.5 mths)
C - 2.5 mths - making a total of (~5 mths)

Unregistered 29-11-2017 10:25 PM

Really? Hadn't realised the quantum varies with economic conditions. Have not observed any differences in the last 7 years or so.

My own observation for the rates is about 1 month less than what you've estimated. There's some version within the bands too - think maybe up to +-0.25mths.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 102565)
depends on economy
we can expect

Unregistered 29-11-2017 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 102565)
depends on economy
we can expect

Too high for GEO payscale

C is about 1.5 only

Just a career 30-11-2017 11:11 AM

Male.
Started in 2010 full time (after contract and PGDE).
Starting pay 3,300 as contract teacher.
Current pay 6,900. GEO5.
Total bonus this year, including PB, 5 months.