Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 09-10-2017 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 100753)
Dear all,

Recently I was notifyied that I will be shortlisted for the position for non-trained teacher position. I have about 10 yr experience in IT/project management with a local 2nd lower class degree and last drawn about $6.7k. May I know what salary should I expect while I am in NIE and how fast will I be able to progress?

Btw my preferred role is to teach PE. Appreciate any PE teacher to share the workload and experience with me. Thank you all!

the max. salary for untrained teacher is less than 5k if im not wrong.

PE NIE PGDE is 2 years, need to pass PPT

after graduating, you may be promoted to a higher grade than the fresh grads given your experience.

Unregistered 10-10-2017 10:36 PM

Take note that it is MOE that you'll be trying to convince, not NIE. For the teaching route, you would need to pass an interview and get hired by MOE, who will then sponsor you through NIE. I believe now they send you for at least one year of contract teaching before the school approves you to head to NIE.

1) Overseas uni accepted too. There's probably a list of "reputable courses", but I've no idea what it is. If you know of fellow alumni in MOE then you're safe.
2) 30 is fine.
3) I believe MOE is not trying to grow numbers right now so they're just recruiting to replace attrition. So rather competitive right now.
4) I'm not too sure, though since it's a relatively low candidature I suspect it's not that in demand. Would maths be something you would consider teaching, too? I know the MOE website lists what degrees they're looking for to teach various subjects; you should take a look there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 100699)
My questions as follows:
1) does nie only take local uni grads?
2) im 30. Will age be an issue?
3) is it difficult to be selected by nie? Do they have a high number of applicants for the limited positions?
4) is there a demand to teach principles of accounts (POA)?

lesmisrable 11-10-2017 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 100468)
Seems like your salary after emplacement is quite similar to a fresh grad's. Though your promotions after that are, of course, way faster than a graduate joining the service in 2014 would have been.

Based on the figures provided it seems like doing the part-time degree and emplacement have been beneficial. I do wonder though now that they've unified the pay scales (with diploma holders starting lower on the same scale, rather than having different tracks entirely) how the typical progression for a diploma holder would be.

Because MOE doesn't recognize the working experience of the non-grad in schools. It's rather demoralizing.

lululalaland 12-10-2017 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 100753)
Dear all,

Recently I was notifyied that I will be shortlisted for the position for non-trained teacher position. I have about 10 yr experience in IT/project management with a local 2nd lower class degree and last drawn about $6.7k. May I know what salary should I expect while I am in NIE and how fast will I be able to progress?

Btw my preferred role is to teach PE. Appreciate any PE teacher to share the workload and experience with me. Thank you all!

From what i understood when i attended the teaching information session, PE teachers are in demand. You got to pass the PE test first before interview. In the interview you got to convince the interviewers your passion. I also applied with working experience. If you are only a degree holder, your salary most probably will not exceed 4k. Your prior working experience doesn't benefit teaching PE. However, your pay rise after nie will be faster than a fresh grad.

lululalaland 12-10-2017 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 100577)
MOE really treats dip holders poorly even though they do the same job as degree holders. I'm 27-years-old male, starting pay was $3.9k when I entered NIE PGDE in 2015. I had first class honours from NUS. Now with 1.5 years trained teaching exp, I've 4.3k. How is it that a teacher with 10 years of exp is only worth $500 more than a teacher with 1.5 years of exp???? Feel unfair for you.

Well, first class honours is viewed more highly than a regular degree holder. With a higher starting pay, your progression will be much faster. Besides local uni degrees are more recognised than private degrees. Its sad but the reality.

Unregistered 13-10-2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 100577)
MOE really treats dip holders poorly even though they do the same job as degree holders. I'm 27-years-old male, starting pay was $3.9k when I entered NIE PGDE in 2015. I had first class honours from NUS. Now with 1.5 years trained teaching exp, I've 4.3k. How is it that a teacher with 10 years of exp is only worth $500 more than a teacher with 1.5 years of exp???? Feel unfair for you.

Hmm I entered teaching with third class honours, starting pay was also 3.9k. After 1.5 years, it was 4.5k. I feel unfair for you too.

Unregistered 13-10-2017 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 100924)
Hmm I entered teaching with third class honours, starting pay was also 3.9k. After 1.5 years, it was 4.5k. I feel unfair for you too.

Did you enter as fresh grad? What subject and level are you teaching? Are you male or female? How i wish i was offered 3.9k.

Unregistered 14-10-2017 03:49 PM

Course Chemin

Yes fresh grad. Male, primary school track teaching EMS.

Unregistered 14-10-2017 05:44 PM

Teacher starting pay for males should be ~4k (more if good honours) if NS is taken into account.

Unregistered 14-10-2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 100939)
Yes fresh grad. Male, primary school track teaching EMS.

Is 3.9k before or after nie? Now i wondering how moe calculates. I am offered much lower 3.6k indicated in the medical email.