Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 13-08-2017 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99524)
May I know the reason you failed practicum and probation? Like you kinda knew about that before you actually failed? What went wrong?

I couldn't submit most lesson plans

Unregistered 26-08-2017 10:43 PM

(This question is only directed to teachers or ex teachers or those with real anecdotal evidence - spouse is a teacher etc..)

How is the workload of a teacher. 7-5pm? Given that one leaves school at 5pm on average, is it possible not to bring work home?

Also, is it possible to moonlight giving 3-4 private tuitions while juggling workload as a teacher (assuming you aren't aiming to promote) and just want to be a simple teacher - aka do not take up more duties.

Unregistered 27-08-2017 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99801)
(This question is only directed to teachers or ex teachers or those with real anecdotal evidence - spouse is a teacher etc..)

How is the workload of a teacher. 7-5pm? Given that one leaves school at 5pm on average, is it possible not to bring work home?

Also, is it possible to moonlight giving 3-4 private tuitions while juggling workload as a teacher (assuming you aren't aiming to promote) and just want to be a simple teacher - aka do not take up more duties.

During off peak periods it's possible to finish everything if you stay a little later, for peak periods I would say it's quite impossible. There were some days I had to finish markings to meet deadlines even if it meant working pass midnights.

A few tuition is manageable some times but it gets very difficult during certain period, I don't recommend taking up more than 2 assignments. Pumping up many assignments for the extra $$$ not worth the effort unless you really single, no family, no friends & just work & sleep everyday.

Unregistered 28-08-2017 07:31 PM

Hi teachers,
Are teachers really busy that you have to work till at least 5pm almost every day?
What about holidays? That you barely have time to go on vacation? Esp those better performing teachers because you are given more tasks? Is it true?

Unregistered 28-08-2017 11:13 PM

How is life as a PE teacher like? No marking/form classes... isn't it the best?

Unregistered 29-08-2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99805)
During off peak periods it's possible to finish everything if you stay a little later, for peak periods I would say it's quite impossible. There were some days I had to finish markings to meet deadlines even if it meant working pass midnights.

A few tuition is manageable some times but it gets very difficult during certain period, I don't recommend taking up more than 2 assignments. Pumping up many assignments for the extra $$$ not worth the effort unless you really single, no family, no friends & just work & sleep everyday.

May I know when are the peak periods in a year? Also, are you teaching humanities/language or science/math?

Unregistered 31-08-2017 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99839)
How is life as a PE teacher like? No marking/form classes... isn't it the best?

No marking no need set papers no homework, no classroom management issues cos rowdy students all enjoy PE lessons. No parents to question over results and teaching. No consultations.

The most challenging is to organize sports day. But just repeat past year proposals can already.

Unregistered 31-08-2017 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99801)

It really depends on the school. There are over 200 pri and sec schs as well as JCs, and each sch has its discretion in setting the official time for teachers to leave the workplace. In my previous school, teachers can only leave after 2.45pm on Mon, Tues & Thurs; 3.45pm on Wed; and 12.30pm on Friday. Some schools are quite liberal - 2pm or even 1pm. In schools where the Principal or management breathes down the necks of teachers, it's probably 4pm or 5pm for everybody. I'm glad that in my current school, the management trusts us, so our official departure time is quite good.

Yup it's possible to moonlight. I'm currently giving tuition to 4 students. In August alone I brought back $2000 in cash, so I save up my salary in full. (I live with my parents and I'm planning to get married soon). Tuition is indeed lucrative, and I rather use spare time helping other students as well as earning extra cash, than to plan sch activities or other time-consuming stuff. As long as you fulfill your minimum duties e.g. taking care of form class, planning lessons, marking etc, no one can fault you in sch.

Unregistered 31-08-2017 11:03 PM

The concept of whether giving tuition is worth it depends on whether you think long term or short term. For those who want fast cash and/or not willing to climb the corporate ladder, teaching tuition can yield anything from $400 - $3000 extra. It's easy OT money, but nothing fantastic.

But if you really want big money in the long term, you will need to start early to invest outside office hours in management track and doing all the extra projects, CCA, studies etc. The rewards will take some time to materialize as SH/LH level is only slightly above normal teacher.

Once you reach HOD/VP it starts to get lucrative. If you reach superscale level then of course the money's much more then anything a normal teacher can get even if you whack all your remaining hours in tuition.

Depends on individual.

Unregistered 01-09-2017 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99902)
The concept of whether giving tuition is worth it depends on whether you think long term or short term. For those who want fast cash and/or not willing to climb the corporate ladder, teaching tuition can yield anything from $400 - $3000 extra. It's easy OT money, but nothing fantastic.

But if you really want big money in the long term, you will need to start early to invest outside office hours in management track and doing all the extra projects, CCA, studies etc. The rewards will take some time to materialize as SH/LH level is only slightly above normal teacher.

Once you reach HOD/VP it starts to get lucrative. If you reach superscale level then of course the money's much more then anything a normal teacher can get even if you whack all your remaining hours in tuition.

Depends on individual.

HOD may still be possible. To reach the rank of VP and beyond, it is rather impossible for normal teachers (there are exceptions of course). These positions are mainly reserved for the overseas scholars, who are groomed to take those positions.