Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 30-07-2017 01:25 AM

Talk to your HOD about your desire to stay - if they want you too, they can request to HR that you be posted back (if there are vacancies available). Depends on whether HR grants it, though - it's not necessarily a given.

No harm giving it a try if you really like it there, though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99034)
Hey, was wondering if any PGDE teachers here can provide insight. I really like the school I'm doing contract teaching rn. What are the chances I'll get posted here again after I finish 16 months in NIE? Is it possible?

Unregistered 30-07-2017 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony (Post 99022)
Hi fellow teachers, just want to do a rough benchmark with the market.

I have been teaching for a total of 6+ years and generally B performer with the occasional A. I was told this is roughly top 10-20% performance compared to the rest.

To be honest I feel my progression especially in terms of pay so far is rather disappointing. Currently SEO1 level drawing only ~6.8k even graduating with FCH from NTU and having served NS.

Is this suppose to be normal for a top performer? I understand teaching is not just about the dollars, but frankly seeing so many of my colleagues taking a lepak one corner approach and go through motion with average ratings, I don't seem to be progressing much faster.

If this carries on I might consider venturing outside to the private education sector as some of my ex-colleagues who have gone out are drawing significantly higher.

i'm in my 4th year now, never served NS (female), FCH but only drawing 5k as GEO 3. You're so much better off than me!

Unregistered 31-07-2017 12:26 AM

Whats the annual increase like for a teacher anyway? For a average performer I assume its ard 300-400?

Unregistered 31-07-2017 05:44 PM

So happy to find this thread!
Can anyone advise how to increase the chance to get shortlisted in PGDE?
I'm looking for mid career switch and I applied for it in March this year but didn't get shortlisted. I was unemployed now. Will this reduce my chance to get shortlisted?
A little background fyi. I was an engineer in chemical industry. I resigned when I got pregnant because I had to travel alot for work purposw. I just stay at home until gave birth and now that I settled the daycare of my baby and I'm ready to return to full time employment.
TIA for the kind advices!

Unregistered 01-08-2017 08:21 AM

Aed lbs

Hi, are there any AED LBS teachers here? Was wondering how long it'll take for them to get back to us after the interview. It's been a month. Not sure if that's good or bad.

Thanks!

Unregistered 01-08-2017 11:22 AM

Can I get someone's advice regarding the current salary offered to me?

Basically, I'm a mid-career applicant switching into the teaching career now. (Worked for 4 years in a non-teaching field) I understand that I will be getting a pay-cut for sure. However, the starting pay seems to be on the low end for a mid-career switch applicant.

I'm getting offered $3.6k+, while I heard fresh grads are getting ard $3.5k. I graduated with 2nd Upp. Do they not take into consideration the 4 years worked or is there other arrangements?

Anyone that have some experience pls do offer some advice to me. :)

Unregistered 01-08-2017 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99137)

Basically, I'm a mid-career applicant switching into the teaching career now. (Worked for 4 years in a non-teaching field) I understand that I will be getting a pay-cut for sure. However, the starting pay seems to be on the low end for a mid-career switch applicant.

I'm getting offered $3.6k+, while I heard fresh grads are getting ard $3.5k. I graduated with 2nd Upp. Do they not take into consideration the 4 years worked or is there other arrangements?

Hi there, sorry for cutting in but may I ask you a few question as follows:
- r u taking PGDE scheme?
- do u hv any teaching experience like part time tutor etc?
- r u a graduate of Singapore Uni?
- r u active in cc?

I wish to get PGDE. I'm a graduate from Malaysia Uni and I was an engineer in chemical industry. Currently unemployed. I applied PGDE before but didn't get the interview so I'm trying to figure out what is the qualification and requirements they want. Any inputs would be very much appreciated!

Unregistered 01-08-2017 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99137)

At the end of the day MOE does not entertain salary negotiation. If you like then accept the offer, if not just move on. No point thinking of all these distractions of whether fair or unfair, compare with others etc.

Unregistered 02-08-2017 07:36 PM

am i slow?

I'm a female, graduated with FCH and is seconded to an independent school though i am still with MOE.

Entered the teaching service in July 2013.
Performance grades were as follows:

2013: C
2014: B
2015 (promoted to GEO 3): C+
2016: C (had HL of 30 days though officially I took only 7, took 6 days marriage leave too)
2017: most likely C (since I am on 16 weeks ML)

Looking at my peers, my male colleagues are already promoted to SH. I am still a low level GEO 3. I am thinking why is my progression so slow.. is it normal?

Unregistered 02-08-2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 99190)
I'm a female, graduated with FCH and is seconded to an independent school though i am still with MOE.

Entered the teaching service in July 2013.
Performance grades were as follows:

2013: C
2014: B
2015 (promoted to GEO 3): C+
2016: C (had HL of 30 days though officially I took only 7, took 6 days marriage leave too)
2017: most likely C (since I am on 16 weeks ML)

Looking at my peers, my male colleagues are already promoted to SH. I am still a low level GEO 3. I am thinking why is my progression so slow.. is it normal?

If what you are after is promotion, then your secondment to independent sch is a bad decision from the start. Promotion is fastest in govt schools.

If what you are after is focus well on T&L, with dimmer prospects of promotion, then independent sch is the place to go.