Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 17-07-2017 08:45 PM

Hi guys, may I check with yall. If we do not clear the stipulated 4 modules required of our cs2 during our undergraduate years in NTU/NUS, will we be required to take them in NIE - during PGDE.

Unregistered 18-07-2017 12:35 PM

Yes you need to

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98783)
Hi guys, may I check with yall. If we do not clear the stipulated 4 modules required of our cs2 during our undergraduate years in NTU/NUS, will we be required to take them in NIE - during PGDE.

I presume you are a scholar. No but It is a contractual agreement to do what is stated in the contract. Failing which, MOE reserves the right to void the contract and recover the damages.

With the excess teachers, esp in the JC track, I would just complete the 4 modules.

Unregistered 20-07-2017 07:09 AM

Yes..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 98783)

Some CS yes

Unregistered 28-07-2017 03:35 PM

PGDE untrained contract teaching

Is anyone waiting for interview by moe?

Anthony 28-07-2017 04:53 PM

Hi fellow teachers, just want to do a rough benchmark with the market.

I have been teaching for a total of 6+ years and generally B performer with the occasional A. I was told this is roughly top 10-20% performance compared to the rest.

To be honest I feel my progression especially in terms of pay so far is rather disappointing. Currently SEO1 level drawing only ~6.8k even graduating with FCH from NTU and having served NS.

Is this suppose to be normal for a top performer? I understand teaching is not just about the dollars, but frankly seeing so many of my colleagues taking a lepak one corner approach and go through motion with average ratings, I don't seem to be progressing much faster.

If this carries on I might consider venturing outside to the private education sector as some of my ex-colleagues who have gone out are drawing significantly higher.

Unregistered 28-07-2017 05:47 PM

Let's say you started off with a salary of 3.3k and worked for 7 years, with your current of 6.8k+ would mean you had an average increment of 500 per annum which is considered quite a huge amount. I think you are not being shortchanged :)

BusinessSingapore 28-07-2017 06:26 PM

After the recent saga on the PE teacher who took upskirt video I can't help but to think of a few acquaintance who went on in life to become a PE teacher. And all of them have some kind of social interactions deficit, or in other words weird.

I think this kinda weirdness gets under the radar as we all grew older but it was really obvious when everyone was younger.

Then again I am not in the teaching field so I can't generalize the PE profession. What are your experiences though?

Unregistered 28-07-2017 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony (Post 99022)

I have been teaching for a total of 6+ years and generally B performer with the occasional A. I was told this is roughly top 10-20% performance compared to the rest.

To be honest I feel my progression especially in terms of pay so far is rather disappointing. Currently SEO1 level drawing only ~6.8k even graduating with FCH from NTU and having served NS.

Is this suppose to be normal for a top performer? I understand teaching is not just about the dollars, but frankly seeing so many of my colleagues taking a lepak one corner approach and go through motion with average ratings, I don't seem to be progressing much faster.

If this carries on I might consider venturing outside to the private education sector as some of my ex-colleagues who have gone out are drawing significantly higher.

Life is all about choices, you cannot have the best of both worlds. Base on what you mention I assume you are around 31 years old drawing at least 18 months package as a top performer, that works out to be $122,400 give or take.

This sort of money at your age isn't shabby even by private sector standards. Of course you want to compare against cream of the crop in global MNC or foreign bank then yes it is just a fraction of what they can get.

But have you considered other things like working hours, less complicated work environment, job security etc.? You want to compare salary should at least compare with the non-scholars in other ministries and stat boards, compare with the elite in private sector is just apple vs orange.

Unregistered 28-07-2017 09:14 PM

Quick question

Hey, was wondering if any PGDE teachers here can provide insight. I really like the school I'm doing contract teaching rn. What are the chances I'll get posted here again after I finish 16 months in NIE? Is it possible?

Unregistered 30-07-2017 01:23 AM

SEO1 after 6 years is pretty fast. Faster then some scholars, even - it implies a promotion every 1-2 years. Actually, as an SEO1 (thus an office holder of some sort) you should be able to compare the progression of your peers within your school. No point comparing against GEO5s who've reached the pay ceiling and are just coasting along.

If you are dissatisfied with this level of renumeration then private practice is probably more suitable for you, unless you are holding out in hope of eventually hitting superscale.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony (Post 99022)