Career as Teacher - Page 802 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Career as Teacher

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #8011 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2023, 08:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, I am a second-year BT (currently GEO2) and while my fellow batchmates (we graduated from NIE the same time; and same gender as I am) are being promoted to GEO3 in April this year, I was informed that I will be promoted in October instead.

I wrote in to HR and was told that I did not "fulfill the criteria to be promoted in April". I am not sure of the reason why and which criteria they are talking about.

Anyone has any idea/was in similar situation as me and can provide some advice please? Thank you!
Your surprise is not the worst. Had a friend who did not get the auto cohort promotion after NIE graduation. The promotion to GEO3 only came ONE YEAR later than those of the same batch same gender. Queries were directed to both SLs and HR, but no clear answer was given.

This friend did not make mistakes and got C+ and Bs. Not a scholar but still TA holder. Did not go on any types of leave either.

Promotions are indeed slowing down...But is it likely to be affecting even cohort promotions...?

Reply With Quote
  #8012 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2023, 09:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
exactly. then why do they expect teachers to do so many things that are out of teaching? planning school events, professional development, after school remedial. do these for free? when they can focus on classroom teaching instead.
have u not been keeping abreast of news on the educational priorities esp those coming out of political leaders mouth?? a teacher is not hired to teach but to develop a child holistically . thatís every teachers job

Reply With Quote
  #8013 (permalink)  
Old 04-04-2023, 10:18 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Whats e CEP benchmark for FHQ posting? Any idea?

Reply With Quote
  #8014 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2023, 01:39 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Whats e CEP benchmark for FHQ posting? Any idea?
Minimally SEO 2
Reply With Quote
  #8015 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2023, 01:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think we hv a big problem when ppl join the teaching profession for career progression. Many of current and older generation of Ps thankfully are not like that.
Got to pay the bills dude. Last time teachers are really highly paid. A normal teacher can afford landed properties, with some having multiple condos, and on top of that, receive pension after retirement. There were schemes like Teachers Estate to help teachers own a landed property. Compare that with today? Young officers can barely afford the tiny HDB flats. Owning a condo is impossible unless both are in the SEO paygrades.
Reply With Quote
  #8016 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2023, 01:55 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Your surprise is not the worst. Had a friend who did not get the auto cohort promotion after NIE graduation. The promotion to GEO3 only came ONE YEAR later than those of the same batch same gender. Queries were directed to both SLs and HR, but no clear answer was given.

This friend did not make mistakes and got C+ and Bs. Not a scholar but still TA holder. Did not go on any types of leave either.

Promotions are indeed slowing down...But is it likely to be affecting even cohort promotions...?
Most likely offended someone, and promotion got blocked by P or SLs.
Reply With Quote

  #8017 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2023, 05:34 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Got to pay the bills dude. Last time teachers are really highly paid. A normal teacher can afford landed properties, with some having multiple condos, and on top of that, receive pension after retirement. There were schemes like Teachers Estate to help teachers own a landed property. Compare that with today? Young officers can barely afford the tiny HDB flats. Owning a condo is impossible unless both are in the SEO paygrades.
Young officers cannot afford a bto? That's absolutely rubbish. Starting salary now is almost 4k.a teacher couple would earn between 8-9k combined after teaching a few years. A 4 room bto costs. A hdb bto at jurong west costs 291k and even if you're looking at a more attractive location such as at Queens town, it's 541k.

Why look at owning a condo? 80% of Singapore residents stay in hdb. If you're saying that teachers should be able to stay at a condo, you're saying that teachers should be in the top 20% of income earners in the country!
Reply With Quote
  #8018 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2023, 07:17 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Young officers cannot afford a bto? That's absolutely rubbish. Starting salary now is almost 4k.a teacher couple would earn between 8-9k combined after teaching a few years. A 4 room bto costs. A hdb bto at jurong west costs 291k and even if you're looking at a more attractive location such as at Queens town, it's 541k.

Why look at owning a condo? 80% of Singapore residents stay in hdb. If you're saying that teachers should be able to stay at a condo, you're saying that teachers should be in the top 20% of income earners in the country!
The original poster was comparing with teachers of the past. Therefore it is relevant to compare between the lifestyle afforded to teachers in the past vs teachers in the present. Not everyone wants to live in non-mature estates, for various reasons. A 4rm in matured estates cost $600k to 800k nowadays. Even if husband and wife earn $5k each after a number of years teaching, a flat of such prices will cost at least 5x their annual income. And both couple need to work continuously to afford paying the instalments, and any stints of NPL will severely strain their finances.
Reply With Quote
  #8019 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2023, 10:03 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Cost of living is kinda out of our scope here leh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The original poster was comparing with teachers of the past. Therefore it is relevant to compare between the lifestyle afforded to teachers in the past vs teachers in the present. Not everyone wants to live in non-mature estates, for various reasons. A 4rm in matured estates cost $600k to 800k nowadays. Even if husband and wife earn $5k each after a number of years teaching, a flat of such prices will cost at least 5x their annual income. And both couple need to work continuously to afford paying the instalments, and any stints of NPL will severely strain their finances.
Reply With Quote
  #8020 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2023, 10:59 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
GEO2 2019 C (fresh from practicum)
GEO3 2020 C+
GEO3 2021 B
GEO3 2022 A (took on int KP)
GEO4 2023

How is this rate? For a male PGDE TA holder. Is it better for my career to make a move to HQ?
I think this is considered fast? I'm assuming you will be getting your cluster sup interview for the KP role shortly, and doubt your school will let you leave quite immediately (maybe after 2 years?). But moving to HQ will definitely help to boost you further in terms of exposure and experience.

Can hear from the rest too on your rate of promotion and how you can plan forward. kudos!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
school teacher pay dazzlego Income and Jobs 10 30-07-2015 12:39 PM
Career advice for mid-career changer Rhin Income and Jobs 5 21-07-2010 11:21 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,755 Replies, 2,291,334 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,012 Replies, 5,099,266 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,022 Replies, 1,085,007 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,438 Replies, 12,592,031 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
740 Replies, 412,862 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,489 Replies, 805,542 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,191 Replies, 6,838,263 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,149 Replies, 10,461,163 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,816 Replies, 1,444,574 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,767 Replies, 1,517,212 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,663 Replies, 2,385,544 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,343 Replies, 3,461,022 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,810 Replies, 1,576,742 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,155 Replies, 3,797,159 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,900 Replies, 4,724,235 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,346 Replies, 1,164,741 Views
Maritime and Port Authority of... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 20,015 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
825 Replies, 388,037 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,282 Replies, 637,306 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
323 Replies, 327,511 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,503 Replies, 1,401,446 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
163 Replies, 82,995 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,057 Replies, 451,428 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
279 Replies, 392,945 Views
Any Ministry or Statboard still... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 12,512 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
34 Replies, 77,828 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
722 Replies, 553,603 Views
Private Banking Salaries ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
83 Replies, 139,031 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
761 Replies, 425,092 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
415 Replies, 501,279 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2