Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

HQ Worker 12-04-2017 06:45 AM

There are plenty of non-scholars in HQ. Since entry level position is SEO1 level though your CEP probably needs to have been increased at least once (even if you've not taken up the role). If you're already holding an appointment, should qualify. Depending on your relationship, could possibly let your RO know you are interested in applying and see if he/she dissuades you.

I wouldn't say they deliberately groom young officers, but being used to taking in new officers who get posted back to school every 2-3 years I would imagine most divisions have processes in place to manage the assignment of work, e.g. You might be a team member in your first year, but leading project teams by your last.

Prior to joining HQ I felt rather incredulous about all these HQ officers parachuting back to schools as middle managers, but now that I'm here I can see how the nature of work does prepare you for managerial duties (even if in a somewhat different context).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96584)
Hi, to all who have been in the service long enough, is it true that it is unrealistic of young teachers who are not scholars to apply for HQ positions? What are the requirements for HQ positions? Do they groom young officers?


Unregistered 12-04-2017 01:27 PM

Just curious. I was in the service from 1998 to 2003. Left at GEO1A2, about $4,700 a month.
Just wondering, assuming I'd stayed on the normal teaching track, what kind of salary would I be getting now? 7+ k ?
Any difference if on the Leadership track?
Anyone around my generation can answer?

Unregistered 12-04-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96601)
Just curious. I was in the service from 1998 to 2003. Left at GEO1A2, about $4,700 a month.
Just wondering, assuming I'd stayed on the normal teaching track, what kind of salary would I be getting now? 7+ k ?
Any difference if on the Leadership track?
Anyone around my generation can answer?

Assuming your performance is average and stay within teaching track, probably somewhere in mid range of senior teacher. I would say ard 6.5k. 7k+ need to be master teacher or max of senior teacher which performance needs to be above average.

Unregistered 12-04-2017 10:20 PM

Dear LostHOD / HQWorker,

Would you say having a Masters is useful when it comes to teaching? Does it help with career progression for the different tracks (leadership, teaching or specialist)?

HQ Worker 13-04-2017 06:49 AM

Caveat: I don't have a Masters myself, so answering just from observation/guesswork.

First question - when it comes to teaching, having a Masters could be useful. Depending on what you study, it could possibly allow you to appreciate your subject area better and thus be better able to teach it, how you design your lessons/school-based curriculum, etc...

Second question - for career progression, I don't think there's a direct impact other than perhaps improved performance due to your newly-acquired knowledge. No automatic boost to CEP / performance grade / salary just for having one.

However, for specialist track, having a Masters is actually a requirement to build up specialist knowledge in a specific field. At the moment, if you pass the interview for specialist track without having a Masters, they will actually fund your further studies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96615)
Dear LostHOD / HQWorker,

Would you say having a Masters is useful when it comes to teaching? Does it help with career progression for the different tracks (leadership, teaching or specialist)?


Unregistered 14-04-2017 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96606)
Assuming your performance is average and stay within teaching track, probably somewhere in mid range of senior teacher. I would say ard 6.5k. 7k+ need to be master teacher or max of senior teacher which performance needs to be above average.

Wrong la. Do proper research pls.

Unregistered 14-04-2017 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96606)
Assuming your performance is average and stay within teaching track, probably somewhere in mid range of senior teacher. I would say ard 6.5k. 7k+ need to be master teacher or max of senior teacher which performance needs to be above average.

Way too low. If no major disciplinary issues, I would expect ~10-11k.

Unregistered 14-04-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HQ Worker (Post 96594)
There are plenty of non-scholars in HQ. Since entry level position is SEO1 level though your CEP probably needs to have been increased at least once (even if you've not taken up the role). If you're already holding an appointment, should qualify. Depending on your relationship, could possibly let your RO know you are interested in applying and see if he/she dissuades you.

I wouldn't say they deliberately groom young officers, but being used to taking in new officers who get posted back to school every 2-3 years I would imagine most divisions have processes in place to manage the assignment of work, e.g. You might be a team member in your first year, but leading project teams by your last.

Prior to joining HQ I felt rather incredulous about all these HQ officers parachuting back to schools as middle managers, but now that I'm here I can see how the nature of work does prepare you for managerial duties (even if in a somewhat different context).


Hi HQ Worker,

In your experience in HQ, have you seen or worked with any non-scholar officers who are GEO 3 or GEO 4? Is it true that one must be at least at KP or SEO1 before one can consider to apply to HQ?

LostHOD 14-04-2017 09:50 PM

Calleforsale
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96665)
Wrong la. Do proper research pls.

Suggest you also do proper research.

$7K is the max assuming he is not a HOD or a senior teacher. He will remain at 1A3 where his maximum pay at $7K will stagnate till he retires. (He may be promoted to SEO in his 40s or 50s depending on time norm.)

LostHOD 14-04-2017 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 96666)
Way too low. If no major disciplinary issues, I would expect ~10-11k.

No way 10 to 11K. The maximum pay of SEO1A1 is not 11k. Some VPs and ADs in HQ are not even drawing this sum considering the impact of their work.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2