Career as Teacher - Page 672 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Career as Teacher

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #6711 (permalink)  
Old 13-12-2022, 10:45 PM
anonnnymos
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

the last few pages really hit the nail on the head for a lot of suffering GEO3 officers.

I am one myself - 6 years as GEO 3 - First Class Hons from NUS but stuck in a school where many GEO5 are just cruising and constantly rejecting work and their best skill is siamming arrows. But know how to talk a lot of self praise when cannot keep up with technology and are despised by the students - most of the work are really done by the GEO3 and GEO4 who are cannibalising themselves and burning themselves out.

Solution is to also reject the work and make the HOD spread it out more evenly - but they also scared of the geo 5, who have no qualms of doing a crappy job - then end up next year arrow the geo 3 again.

Reply With Quote
  #6712 (permalink)  
Old 13-12-2022, 11:16 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Are school teachers allowed to teach tuition??

On weekends, after Sch on Sch days

Reply With Quote
  #6713 (permalink)  
Old 13-12-2022, 11:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Are school teachers allowed to teach tuition??

On weekends, after Sch on Sch days
Short answer: yes, it can be allowed


Long answer: BY RIGHT must get Principal's approval, and even if approved, cannot exceed 6hr/week, cannot have any evidence that it is affecting your work in school, bla bla bla bla bla bureaucratic bullshet

BY LEFT remember SAF last core value. Do what you need to do but lie low.

Reply With Quote
  #6714 (permalink)  
Old 13-12-2022, 11:31 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonnnymos View Post
the last few pages really hit the nail on the head for a lot of suffering GEO3 officers.

I am one myself - 6 years as GEO 3 - First Class Hons from NUS but stuck in a school where many GEO5 are just cruising and constantly rejecting work and their best skill is siamming arrows. But know how to talk a lot of self praise when cannot keep up with technology and are despised by the students - most of the work are really done by the GEO3 and GEO4 who are cannibalising themselves and burning themselves out.

Solution is to also reject the work and make the HOD spread it out more evenly - but they also scared of the geo 5, who have no qualms of doing a crappy job - then end up next year arrow the geo 3 again.
It’s wiser to volunteer for work that interests you than to wait for arrows to come your way. Arrows are usually work that you won’t like.
Reply With Quote
  #6715 (permalink)  
Old 14-12-2022, 10:19 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Short answer: yes, it can be allowed


Long answer: BY RIGHT must get Principal's approval, and even if approved, cannot exceed 6hr/week, cannot have any evidence that it is affecting your work in school, bla bla bla bla bla bureaucratic bullshet

BY LEFT remember SAF last core value. Do what you need to do but lie low.
Thanks for this answer. How do Sch teachers view teaching tuition as a full time gig though?

When I was a kid, I used to attend this tuition centre, which has only grown larger and more expensive, but you pay for what you get.

So I always assumed teaching tuition full time pays better.
Reply With Quote
  #6716 (permalink)  
Old 14-12-2022, 02:48 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It’s wiser to volunteer for work that interests you than to wait for arrows to come your way. Arrows are usually work that you won’t like.
this is easy to say... but work assignment is usually already "locked on" to specific people by SLs and KPs... high profile work usually reserved for scholars...the rest will be thrown down to others...If laojiao GEO5s reject, thrown down further to the lower grades...
Reply With Quote

  #6717 (permalink)  
Old 14-12-2022, 02:57 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for this answer. How do Sch teachers view teaching tuition as a full time gig though?

When I was a kid, I used to attend this tuition centre, which has only grown larger and more expensive, but you pay for what you get.

So I always assumed teaching tuition full time pays better.
You have been correct all this while. If you calculate the pay per working hour, full time tutors do have a higher earning rate.
Reply With Quote
  #6718 (permalink)  
Old 14-12-2022, 03:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It's OK, you're still young! Still have lots to enjoy in life

I've got a friend who is a full time tutor and she enjoys her freedom and work life balance a lot. No restrictions of any kind from Ministry, no marking, no lesson planning, no CCA, no committee, no FTship. Can plan own flexible hours, can have some online tutoring, can even play mobile games with her kids during breaks in between. She earns probably around the salary range of a GEO4. May be slightly higher or lower depending on the number of kids she decides to take in.
That is the goal. Thanks for sharing !
Reply With Quote
  #6719 (permalink)  
Old 14-12-2022, 06:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Short answer: yes, it can be allowed


Long answer: BY RIGHT must get Principal's approval, and even if approved, cannot exceed 6hr/week, cannot have any evidence that it is affecting your work in school, bla bla bla bla bla bureaucratic bullshet

BY LEFT remember SAF last core value. Do what you need to do but lie low.
Will principal approve? Wouldn’t he think that this teacher is too free to have time to do tuition?
Reply With Quote
  #6720 (permalink)  
Old 14-12-2022, 06:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Will principal approve? Wouldn’t he think that this teacher is too free to have time to do tuition?
Just stating what is on the official HR communications to teachers.

In practice, principal will not approve. Possibly because they may be under some HR direction not to approve.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
school teacher pay dazzlego Income and Jobs 10 30-07-2015 12:39 PM
Career advice for mid-career changer Rhin Income and Jobs 5 21-07-2010 11:21 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,705 Replies, 7,142,058 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,386 Replies, 3,965,454 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,504 Replies, 12,900,512 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
750 Replies, 586,692 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
929 Replies, 448,644 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,072 Replies, 5,461,948 Views
Working in SMRT ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
46 Replies, 63,204 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,396 Replies, 10,788,809 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,547 Replies, 3,614,564 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,092 Replies, 2,552,712 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,287 Replies, 1,162,611 Views
Civil Servant Bonus Mid-2024
2 Replies, 529 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,412 Replies, 1,225,981 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,928 Replies, 1,658,246 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,398 Replies, 931,008 Views
Health Promotion Board ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 12,047 Views
A*Star (Agency for Science,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
45 Replies, 110,058 Views
Civil Servant Bonus Mid-2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
279 Replies, 211,438 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
876 Replies, 468,481 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,475 Replies, 4,982,036 Views
PMO (Prime Minister's Office... ( 1 2 3)
24 Replies, 8,169 Views
ITE Polytechnic Scheme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
353 Replies, 401,209 Views
GIC offer ( 1 2)
18 Replies, 947 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
833 Replies, 477,257 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,944 Replies, 2,989,392 Views
Nparks ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
42 Replies, 38,183 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,594 Replies, 2,566,871 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
283 Replies, 406,777 Views
DBS Bank career advancement,... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
138 Replies, 311,824 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 07:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2