Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 03-10-2016 10:44 PM

Students in SG
 
s://..com/watch?v=4wvcOE2Npp8

Unregistered 09-10-2016 03:41 PM

Is it possible to choose which school level (as in Pri, Sec, JC) to teach under PGDE?

Unregistered 09-10-2016 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 91047)
Is it possible to choose which school level (as in Pri, Sec, JC) to teach under PGDE?

They will decide for you. However, if you prefer another type of institution you can indicate during the interview, they may or may not allow the change depending on nation's needs.

Unregistered 09-10-2016 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 91055)
They will decide for you. However, if you prefer another type of institution you can indicate during the interview, they may or may not allow the change depending on nation's needs.

Thanks for the answer! That sounds dangerous. I took the Poly to Uni route. They aren't going to get me to teach JC just because the nation is in desperate need right?

Also, pretty much the entire 2nd paragraph from this page confused me:
nie.edu.sg/teacher-education/practicum/practicum-structure/pgde-pri-sec-jc-programme (add triple w. in front)
Quote:

The student teachers in the PGDE(Pri) and PGDE(Sec) programmes are equipped with the knowledge and skills to teach 2 3 primary school subjects, whilst the student teachers in the PGDE (JC) programme are equipped with the knowledge and skills to teach 1 subject at junior college level and 1 subject at secondary school level. The junior college teaching subject must be aligned to the secondary level teaching subject, with the exception of Economics. However, unlike the Dip Ed and BA/BSc(Ed) programmes, the PGDE student teachers do not need to offer academic subjects as they already come into the programme with the relevant content knowledge from their university training.
Just what do they mean by PGDE (Pri) and PGDE(Sec) equipped to teach 2-3 pri school subjects, while PGDE(JC) equipped to teach 1 JC subject and 1 Sec subject? This means PGDE(Sec) won't be taught the skills and knowledge to teach in any Secondary school subject? I don't know how to make sense out of this. And the last sentence of "do not need to offer academic subjects as they already come into the programme with the relevant content knowledge from their university training" - just what do they mean by this entire sentence?

Unregistered 09-10-2016 10:23 PM

Seems to be an error - Sec trainees will learn two sec subjects (think might be different for mother tongue teachers).

As for offering academic subjects, I assume they mean taking modules relating to the content knowledge - they assume your degree has covered that already, so in NIE the PGDE will only cover how to teach the subject (and not that much about the subject itself).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 91059)
Just what do they mean by PGDE (Pri) and PGDE(Sec) equipped to teach 2-3 pri school subjects, while PGDE(JC) equipped to teach 1 JC subject and 1 Sec subject? This means PGDE(Sec) won't be taught the skills and knowledge to teach in any Secondary school subject? I don't know how to make sense out of this. And the last sentence of "do not need to offer academic subjects as they already come into the programme with the relevant content knowledge from their university training" - just what do they mean by this entire sentence?


Unregistered 15-10-2016 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher (Post 88889)
The short answer I can tell you is, if it is genuinely 6 hours a week, then you are safe. Because aside from tuition, I can't really think of any other moonlighting stuff that can keep within this tight boundary. But I hope that you don't be like some of my friends. They started to give more priority to this "moonlight" as compared to their admin duties.. And that, I firmly believe is ethically wrong :)

In light of that, honestly MOE won't be able to find out how many hours per week are you spending on your side job stuff. Hence it is more of integrity and balance. How passionate are you towards teaching vs towards your side job and how much can you commit outside of school without shortchanging your students?

One small detail left out from the conversation above, the 6 hours is "SUBJECT TO PRINCIPAL APPROVAL". You have to get permission from your principal in order to do this, but it is basically career suicide. I can't imagine anyone stupid enough to knock on the boss's office and ask for permission to have a second job.

Unregistered 21-10-2016 04:13 PM

Hi all,

I am an NUS undergrad and i am extremely interested in being a teacher after graduation. However, after reading all the comments here, it seems that MOE is becoming more stringent in their selection of teachers and I am rather worried about this. Although i am giving tuition now to gain more experience, is there other ways to increase my chances of getting selected by MOE? And also, would going for a student exchange programme put me at a disadvantage (or advantage?) for my application in the future? Can any current teachers please advice me on this? Thank you in advance!

Unregistered 22-10-2016 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 91377)
Hi all,

I am an NUS undergrad and i am extremely interested in being a teacher after graduation. However, after reading all the comments here, it seems that MOE is becoming more stringent in their selection of teachers and I am rather worried about this. Although i am giving tuition now to gain more experience, is there other ways to increase my chances of getting selected by MOE? And also, would going for a student exchange programme put me at a disadvantage (or advantage?) for my application in the future? Can any current teachers please advice me on this? Thank you in advance!

Is your passion in
1) helping students do well in academics
Or
2) providing a holistic educations for kids (NE, Technology, communication skills, leadership skills, arts appreciation....)

If it's 2), then yes high chance to be selected

Unregistered 23-10-2016 09:48 PM

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know how much does a Moe Kindergarten teacher are paid for a degree holder with honours? Can't seem to find any info from the moe website. Thanks!

Unregistered 27-10-2016 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 91202)
One small detail left out from the conversation above, the 6 hours is "SUBJECT TO PRINCIPAL APPROVAL". You have to get permission from your principal in order to do this, but it is basically career suicide. I can't imagine anyone stupid enough to knock on the boss's office and ask for permission to have a second job.

My excolleague's husband was a secondary school teacher, in a rather poor performing school. It seemed that he devoted much more of his effort into private tuition. I think school teachers should be banned from conducting private tuition due to obvious conflict of interest. Just like ppl working in bank have very stringent control on trading privately.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 08:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2