Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 24-05-2016 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86073)
I am actually quite confused with the PGDE scheme. Does that mean selected candidates have to undergo 6 months of untrained contract teaching stinct and then another 16 months of training under NIE? Do u all have any idea whether the candidates will be paid during the 6 months of untrained teaching stinct?

candidates will be paid during the untrained teaching stint (contract teaching). includes pro rated mid year, year end bonus and AWS. no pb

Unregistered 26-05-2016 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86073)
I am actually quite confused with the PGDE scheme. Does that mean selected candidates have to undergo 6 months of untrained contract teaching stinct and then another 16 months of training under NIE? Do u all have any idea whether the candidates will be paid during the 6 months of untrained teaching stinct?

If you're successfully selected, you will be posted to a school for contract teaching. This can range from 6mths to a year because if you're posted to schools after August, you would have missed the start of the PGDE in July. Note that July 2016 PGDE intake is the last cohort which will last 1 year; from Dec onwards it will be 16 mths.

You'll be paid - GEO 2 (Untrained) pay, depending on your class of honours.

Do note that your Principal will have the final say of whether you'll go to NIE. Some contract teachers leave MOE because they are found unsuitable for teaching or they do not want to continue teaching.

Unregistered 29-05-2016 06:17 PM

any contract teacher has received offer to get into NIE?

Unregistered 29-05-2016 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86268)
If you're successfully selected, you will be posted to a school for contract teaching. This can range from 6mths to a year because if you're posted to schools after August, you would have missed the start of the PGDE in July. Note that July 2016 PGDE intake is the last cohort which will last 1 year; from Dec onwards it will be 16 mths.

You'll be paid - GEO 2 (Untrained) pay, depending on your class of honours.

Do note that your Principal will have the final say of whether you'll go to NIE. Some contract teachers leave MOE because they are found unsuitable for teaching or they do not want to continue teaching.

im interested to teach. but after looking at your comments, isnt it a total waste of $$ spent on a degree if your principal rejects u to go NIE?

moreover so if your degree is an arts degree (eg english / chinese / maths)...besides being a tutor, there's very limited prospect for these type of degrees if u cannot get into NIE.

Unregistered 02-06-2016 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86382)
im interested to teach. but after looking at your comments, isnt it a total waste of $$ spent on a degree if your principal rejects u to go NIE?

moreover so if your degree is an arts degree (eg english / chinese / maths)...besides being a tutor, there's very limited prospect for these type of degrees if u cannot get into NIE.

Math grads aplenty in quantitative finance in banks being paid top dollars. Highly valued for their mathematical and analytical mind

Unregistered 02-06-2016 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86554)
Math grads aplenty in quantitative finance in banks being paid top dollars. Highly valued for their mathematical and analytical mind

what if u have english / chinese degrees? i cant think of many jobs that require these 2 degrees besides tutors, journalists and a general degree scheme in the civil service...

Unregistered 03-06-2016 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 86556)
what if u have english / chinese degrees? i cant think of many jobs that require these 2 degrees besides tutors, journalists and a general degree scheme in the civil service...

Don't be narrow-minded. Read up more, go out to the real world more often to make connections. I've friends with Arts degrees who are working in both public and private sectors. These include business, banking, marketing, media, procurement etc.

Unregistered 03-06-2016 03:28 PM

Quote:

Then don't join teaching lor. Teaching is not for everyone.

Unregistered 14-06-2016 12:43 PM

Quote:

Only on rare occasions are contract teachers rejected and barred from going to NIE. Most of the time, its related to EQ problems. There are smart teachers that just can't relate or form positively bonds with their class. I met some adults that are so soft-spoken, the students are climbing all over their heads.

Anyway, its extremely hard to become a teacher now. Recession is coming and there are too many applications. On top of merging schools, MOE is slowing down hiring. I heard they have completely stopped hiring AEDs. Good luck for your job hunt.

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher 17-06-2016 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 87126)
Only on rare occasions are contract teachers rejected and barred from going to NIE. Most of the time, its related to EQ problems. There are smart teachers that just can't relate or form positively bonds with their class. I met some adults that are so soft-spoken, the students are climbing all over their heads.

Anyway, its extremely hard to become a teacher now. Recession is coming and there are too many applications. On top of merging schools, MOE is slowing down hiring. I heard they have completely stopped hiring AEDs. Good luck for your job hunt.

Yup. Usually those who get rejected, are those who really cmi at teaching. This is determined through classroom observations by the various KPs in the school (Usually P or VP). The chances of rejection after you get accepted into contract is very low, though it may happen. Just as how the chances of failing practicum when you're in NIE is very low but it may happen as well.