Career as Teacher - Page 559 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Career as Teacher

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #5581 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2022, 05:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Mid year bonus

Hi, can check what is MX13(I) and MX14 equivalence in GEO scheme?

Reply With Quote
  #5582 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2022, 07:12 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi All,

If my performance grade for this year was a C-, would this disadvantage me when I go for interviews with other schools during APEX?

Like will other interviewees have better prospects of being selected ahead of me?
You might be at a disadvantage, but how big the disadvantage is exactly will depend on the actual reason(s) for your C-, and also whether your Principal is petty and bears grudges, or if he/she is professional and objective if contacted for information by your prospective receiving P or Br Head.

Reply With Quote
  #5583 (permalink)  
Old 20-06-2022, 07:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, can check what is MX13(I) and MX14 equivalence in GEO scheme?
If you are asking because of the supplementary payment on top of the mid year bonus, all GEO2 and above will not receive such supplementary payments.

GEOs are not classified as lower salaried civil servants.

Reply With Quote
  #5584 (permalink)  
Old 21-06-2022, 07:10 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Cool lets be critical thinkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
\

Things are not as simple as we comprehend. There are a lot of dots needed to be connected to realize your above suggestions.

When you reduce class sizes, you need to consider the allocation of resource e.g. classrooms and facilities. Then you also have to consider beyond MOE, the inter-ministries' works e.g. urban planning and economic progression for the Nation. There are National imperatives to be weighed.

Blame on the declining birth rate. If you compare to the 80s and 90s, the educational landscapes back then were much simpler as we had sufficient kids to maintain the scale of operation. At least, MOE is not embarking on any retrenchment drives.

As an educator, we need to look at the situation objectively.

However, I acknowledge that MOE should look more intentionally into the mental-wellness of the teachers. Works can be all-around and daunting at times and the working pace appears to be moving faster with all the new approaches e.g. E-Pedagogy and regulations stacking up.

We need to continue streamlining the processes and if need be, revamp certain structures to support the teachers to move ahead.

Jiayou my fellow educators!
Blaming the declining birth rate is simply parroting what you’re told by your higher ups. Since you talk abt connecting the dots, how abt exercising what you preach regarding the declining birth rates?

If schools/MOE are willing and committed to improve the student to teacher ratio, the increase in quality of learning will reap benefits manyfolds. it might even spur our local population to consider starting families and having more kids.

the decision/policy makers took so much effort to emulate the education system of other developed countries (Finland etc) through overseas visits & observations etc, but somehow stopped short of modelling (or conveniently ignored) the classroom size in such countries.

the change in student teacher ratio will definitely impact other national considerations. but since we claim we care so much abt our pple’s education, then those other national considerations need to be readjusted accordingly.

i’m not a disgruntled educator. there’re many merits in Singapore’s education system. however, it’s not a perfect one, and there’s much more that can be done. as much as we try to encourage our students to be critical thinkers, we ourselves need to be one. otherwise this echo chamber syndrome will lead us to a vicious cycle of self detriment
Reply With Quote
  #5585 (permalink)  
Old 21-06-2022, 05:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Blame on the declining birth rate. If you compare to the 80s and 90s, the educational landscapes back then were much simpler as we had sufficient kids to maintain the scale of operation. At least, MOE is not embarking on any retrenchment drives.

As an educator, we need to look at the situation objectively.
This is horse ****. If MOE is going to keep their "excess" teachers on payroll, instead of moaning about the excess, they can reduce the class sizes. If they want to reduce the education service's draw on the labour pool, then retrench teachers or provide incentives for them to jump to other areas of civil/public service, or provide incentives for private sector employers to take in teachers.

Since they already have the teachers and are not intending to forcibly downsize (read: retrench), then why not deploy them meaningfully?

Or is it because we afraid that in the future, we might become too accustomed to the improved teacher wellbeing and student outcomes that it becomes too difficult to turn back..?
Reply With Quote
  #5586 (permalink)  
Old 21-06-2022, 06:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Blaming the declining birth rate is simply parroting what you’re told by your higher ups. Since you talk abt connecting the dots, how abt exercising what you preach regarding the declining birth rates?

If schools/MOE are willing and committed to improve the student to teacher ratio, the increase in quality of learning will reap benefits manyfolds. it might even spur our local population to consider starting families and having more kids.

the decision/policy makers took so much effort to emulate the education system of other developed countries (Finland etc) through overseas visits & observations etc, but somehow stopped short of modelling (or conveniently ignored) the classroom size in such countries.

the change in student teacher ratio will definitely impact other national considerations. but since we claim we care so much abt our pple’s education, then those other national considerations need to be readjusted accordingly.

i’m not a disgruntled educator. there’re many merits in Singapore’s education system. however, it’s not a perfect one, and there’s much more that can be done. as much as we try to encourage our students to be critical thinkers, we ourselves need to be one. otherwise this echo chamber syndrome will lead us to a vicious cycle of self detriment
Idealistic suggestions but lack of concrete solutions. As a start, volunteer yourself in your school's timetabling committee then you will truly understand the constraints and struggle of resource allocation.

All of us can agree that no system is perfect but what we can do is to strike a nice balance between idealism and reality. We are not blindly following the Senior Management but like you say, we need to be critical yet honest to face the harsh realities we are in.

Walk through the fire so that you may reach your calling.
Reply With Quote

  #5587 (permalink)  
Old 21-06-2022, 06:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
This is horse ****. If MOE is going to keep their "excess" teachers on payroll, instead of moaning about the excess, they can reduce the class sizes. If they want to reduce the education service's draw on the labour pool, then retrench teachers or provide incentives for them to jump to other areas of civil/public service, or provide incentives for private sector employers to take in teachers.

Since they already have the teachers and are not intending to forcibly downsize (read: retrench), then why not deploy them meaningfully?

Or is it because we afraid that in the future, we might become too accustomed to the improved teacher wellbeing and student outcomes that it becomes too difficult to turn back..?
I agree with you that MOE can work harder towards deploying the teachers meaningfully. However, how to quantify meaningfully Meaningfully is subjective to individual. Create more positions? Reduce class sizes? Provide incentives to transit to Stat boards/Ministries? Good ideas but what are the methodologies behind? How are the demand and supply of other Stat Boards/Ministries? How can we intentionally reach an equilibrium of the workforce figures across the Civil Service?

Yes. I agree all of us should work towards a better future but let us think deeper to come up with a sound proposal of reducing class size.
Reply With Quote
  #5588 (permalink)  
Old 21-06-2022, 08:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi All,

If my performance grade for this year was a C-, would this disadvantage me when I go for interviews with other schools during APEX?

Like will other interviewees have better prospects of being selected ahead of me?
No definitely. I was a D grader back then as my RO don't like me. I complained to MOE and changed a RO. Then I applied for open posting. I managed to get another school which my new principal asked me to forget about the past. It is quite true when people say, "Don't stay at a place which don't value and appreciate you. Go to a place where people value you and appreciate you." I am working as hard as I used to be but I am happier at the new school. Good leaders don't look at your grades. They can see your strength which your old school leaders could not see. So, go to a new place which the new school cherish you. Don't suffer in silence, get out quickly. Start anew in a new school.
Reply With Quote
  #5589 (permalink)  
Old 21-06-2022, 09:19 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwashi View Post
Teaching is considered a professional field. It has prospects but is very demanding and they expect you to be perfect. Sort of like, teacher must be perfect role model and cannot go to club, teacher cannot smoke, teacher cannot have sex, etc.

I'm exaggerating, of course.

If you're planning to do a phd you can probably end up as a principal very fast. But then it becomes admin rather than teaching. Of course, as a teacher nowadays it's still more admin than teaching too. You've got to juggle all the involvement in all kinds of committees and actual teaching.

There was this joke a friend told me last time.. it was something like, "so this school has best volleyball team, best this, best that, has Singapore Quality Class certification, and produced the top O level scorer. But do they still educate children about what living life is about?"
To learn such a thing you cannot join clubs that are considered "competitive"

Basically all the clubs that bring medals every year

No sinkie parent will allow their kid to do that
Reply With Quote
  #5590 (permalink)  
Old 21-06-2022, 10:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I agree with you that MOE can work harder towards deploying the teachers meaningfully. However, how to quantify meaningfully Meaningfully is subjective to individual. Create more positions? Reduce class sizes? Provide incentives to transit to Stat boards/Ministries? Good ideas but what are the methodologies behind? How are the demand and supply of other Stat Boards/Ministries? How can we intentionally reach an equilibrium of the workforce figures across the Civil Service?

Yes. I agree all of us should work towards a better future but let us think deeper to come up with a sound proposal of reducing class size.
Sorry, these methodologies are what we pay you high flying scholars to develop. Superscale officers constantly parroting the notion of "excess teachers", yet expecting timescale EOs to be the one to propose workable solutions? Wake up. Perhaps glide back down to earth and walk the ground for a while to revisit the challenges of being a classroom teacher again.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
school teacher pay dazzlego Income and Jobs 10 30-07-2015 12:39 PM
Career advice for mid-career changer Rhin Income and Jobs 5 21-07-2010 11:21 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,143 Replies, 956,519 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,184 Replies, 2,888,613 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,047 Replies, 7,132,029 Views
Management Consultant MBB Big4 etc... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
227 Replies, 106,257 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,279 Replies, 2,114,288 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,497 Replies, 725,750 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,222 Replies, 3,939,893 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
563 Replies, 215,400 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,157 Replies, 3,150,615 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
966 Replies, 658,902 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,044 Replies, 253,293 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
730 Replies, 205,520 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
354 Replies, 181,216 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,398 Replies, 1,169,944 Views
20% salary bump? ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 5,142 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
524 Replies, 285,221 Views
RM Salaries and Commissions
0 Replies, 85 Views
What are some good non-fang tech... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
71 Replies, 18,706 Views
Be a commodities trader ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
223 Replies, 216,398 Views
jobs at Tech companies
4 Replies, 3,240 Views
Bnp paribas graduate ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
194 Replies, 114,029 Views
Credit Suisse ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 5,685 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
341 Replies, 110,612 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
560 Replies, 233,188 Views
How much do you earn and save? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
385 Replies, 181,900 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,475 Replies, 2,533,554 Views
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
351 Replies, 143,478 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,844 Replies, 9,611,985 Views
Relationship manager / Personal... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
49 Replies, 51,147 Views
Enterprise Singapore hiriing... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
146 Replies, 143,368 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2