Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 13-06-2022 07:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221594)
Is it true more and more teachers have left teaching?

Apparently not…

s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/parenting-education/no-jump-in-teacher-resignation-says-moe

"SINGAPORE - MOE did not see a spike in teachers leaving the service during the Covid-19 pandemic.

The annual attrition rate for the entire teacher population, which stands at about 32,000, remained stable at 2 per cent to 3 per cent in the past five years.

The figure is slightly higher for younger teachers - less than 5 per cent of them called it quits each year in the past two years before completing their three-year bond."

Unregistered 13-06-2022 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221598)
Apparently not…

s://.straitstimes.com/singapore/parenting-education/no-jump-in-teacher-resignation-says-moe

"SINGAPORE - MOE did not see a spike in teachers leaving the service during the Covid-19 pandemic.

The annual attrition rate for the entire teacher population, which stands at about 32,000, remained stable at 2 per cent to 3 per cent in the past five years.

The figure is slightly higher for younger teachers - less than 5 per cent of them called it quits each year in the past two years before completing their three-year bond."

There are some considerations here though.

1. 3% is nearly 1000 teachers yearly. Using a % makes it sound damn low. For MX people, I guess there was no way to sugarcoat the numbers. It's either ~10% or about 2000+ of them.

2. GEO5 HOTs and KPs have reached a comfortable level of income and own work pace. They are unable to find another place that matches their current income anyway. Hence they wouldn't dare to leave.

3. Recruitment for fresh grads have been reduced so much that the total number of young ones isn't even significant in the first place. Hence the number of youngsters quitting will be even less significant.

Unregistered 13-06-2022 04:57 PM

Marriage leave

Hi, experienced colleagues, a question about marriage leave.

I know we are entitled to 3 days of marriage leave. My question is, must this be taken in 1 shot or can it be spread out?

For context, I ROMed last year in 2021 (not planning to have wedding) during term time as I had to produce cert for my new house. Was supposed to take 3 days leave for "honeymoon", which is actually just 2 days local staycation due to travel restriction. However, even the hotel was designated as an SHN hotel during that period, so I literally only took 1 leave day for ROM only.

Now, in 2022, I'm thinking to using up my remaining 2 days marraige leave entitlement for the 2 days staycay that I am supposed to have, maybe next term. Can any experienced colleagues advise if this is possible in the first place, and of course, whether it's frowned upon? (I know it will be haha but I don't really care if it's my entitlement).

Unregistered 13-06-2022 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221638)

I know we are entitled to 3 days of marriage leave. My question is, must this be taken in 1 shot or can it be spread out?

For context, I ROMed last year in 2021 (not planning to have wedding) during term time as I had to produce cert for my new house. Was supposed to take 3 days leave for "honeymoon", which is actually just 2 days local staycation due to travel restriction. However, even the hotel was designated as an SHN hotel during that period, so I literally only took 1 leave day for ROM only.

Now, in 2022, I'm thinking to using up my remaining 2 days marraige leave entitlement for the 2 days staycay that I am supposed to have, maybe next term. Can any experienced colleagues advise if this is possible in the first place, and of course, whether it's frowned upon? (I know it will be haha but I don't really care if it's my entitlement).

This is my anecdotal experience, but I couldn't use my marriage leave at all. I was told that the leave is to be used only during the wedding period. Which really sucks cause I got married in Dec, no point taking leave.

Unregistered 14-06-2022 03:27 PM

Quote:

Marriage leave is not an entitlement. Unless you are getting married again, your SLs will likely not approve such leave. Imagine you do not take compassionate leave when your love ones passed on, can I then take at a later date and say that I am entitled to them? It will be really strange for the off/leave to be reflected in the relief plan and might even start this unwanted culture of taking marriage leave months down the road.

Unregistered 14-06-2022 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221848)
Imagine you do not take compassionate leave when your love ones passed on, can I then take at a later date and say that I am entitled to them? It will be really strange for the off/leave to be reflected in the relief plan and might even start this unwanted culture of taking marriage leave months down the road.

To be fair the situation you posted can happen. People grieve in different ways. I would hope that in such a situation an SL would be compassionate enough to allow someone to take leave even some time after a loved one has passed.

Unregistered 14-06-2022 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221848)
Marriage leave is not an entitlement. Unless you are getting married again, your SLs will likely not approve such leave. Imagine you do not take compassionate leave when your love ones passed on, can I then take at a later date and say that I am entitled to them? It will be really strange for the off/leave to be reflected in the relief plan and might even start this unwanted culture of taking marriage leave months down the road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221853)
To be fair the situation you posted can happen. People grieve in different ways. I would hope that in such a situation an SL would be compassionate enough to allow someone to take leave even some time after a loved one has passed.

It's really interesting how these 2 posts alone show how the type of superior affects workplace morale. And what makes it even more challenging is that for teachers, so many stakeholders are involved and affected just from a single decision hmmm...

Unregistered 14-06-2022 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 221594)
Is it true more and more teachers have left teaching?

yes its true. most of my colleagues after 5 or 6 years mentioned the shiokness of watching school girls zao geng panties is no longer there. Everyday also same color and pattern. So many left.

Unregistered 15-06-2022 07:59 AM

I believe marriage leave has to be taken in one shot, ie no spacing out. Do speak to your leave approving officer to see if the organization can help out.

They have no obligations but truly, I find that speaking to the approving officer sheds more light than here as different Ps would necessarily react differently

Quote:

Unregistered 15-06-2022 11:18 AM

Moe flp

Hi guys,

Would like to know what is the typical progression for EOs on FLP?

Thanks in advance!