Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 08-06-2022 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220803)
I am a middle manager like you do. Technically, it is impossible for you to be a C grade GEO 4/5 HOD because of the portfolio you are holding, the impact of your work compared to regular teachers

Which serves to further reinforce my point. Why are young middle managers underpaid for doing the same work (maybe even more?) that older, hentak kaki middle managers are being paid?

Unregistered 08-06-2022 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220911)
This doesn't make any sense at all. Is teaching not part of the "world"?

Teaching is part of the world, so is cleaning, coding, engineering etc.

But there's a premium paid for professions that create greater value for the economy and unfortunately, teaching isn't one of them.

If teachers are so talented, I challenged those, especially those who are in the service for decades, to leave the profession and use teaching as prior experience to demand the so called "managerial pay" you claim you deserve.

Unregistered 08-06-2022 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220933)

But there's a premium paid for professions that create greater value for the economy and unfortunately, teaching isn't one of them.

If teachers are so talented, I challenged those, especially those who are in the service for decades, to leave the profession and use teaching as prior experience to demand the so called "managerial pay" you claim you deserve.

Er…without Teachers there won’t be all other professions. Doctors lawyers etc still have to learn their abcs from primary sch onwards yeah?

Unregistered 08-06-2022 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220883)
Boy SMEs in Singapore employs 70% of the workforce. Teachers are really a privileged group compared to other professions. Do you dare say you work harder than lawyers, doctors or auditors.

Just compare your salary against the median salary to know how pampered you are. Don’t forget to add in all the bonuses that are only available to civil service. And please don’t compare yourself to the bank and tech sector. NIE is not the institution that attracts the best and brightest.

You're going off track and hence your argument doesn't carry any weight. Did the post do any comparison with the elite sectors you mentioned?

It was merely comparing with the MX scheme, which is just another generic, generalist scheme (as quoted in the news) out there. How many people in the MX group are actually sitting in those elite positions? Wrong comparison boy.

I applaud the elites who are able to prove themselves and hence deserve their high salaries. The teachers here aren't asking for sky high salaries like them, are they?

Unregistered 08-06-2022 02:36 PM

good luck yall teachers. lmaoooo. everyday report sch before 7am sing national anthem then end work 2pm - 6pm depending on ccas or meetings.

really wanna join MOE but keep rejecting me last time cos my grades not good. (i am teaching about 12 students that time, charging 40-50 per1hr30mins)

MOE rejected me again, now i am just doing private tuition (i am teaching python and r on top of math/phys/chem) and now having close to 65 students. (some 2 weeks some 1 week, got 1 kid the dad is damn rich from international sch, paying me 200 per lesson)

work from 2pm all the way to 10pm, sometimes earlier cos i do group tuition. take home now almost 15k w/o cpf. Now June holidays almost 2nd weeks in i alrdy clocking in close to 10k liao, trying to hit 25k this month.

at the same time i also doing alot of programming specialization courses. gonna open a full 8 weeks course on python with a friend (comp sci major) working in amazon, hope to charge 300-400 per pax

wont go through this if moe accepted me back then. (even though i can charge higher per hr since i will be NIE trained) , grass is really greener on the other side. i really wanna teach in a classroom settling in sec/jc but ;(

to my peers now in MOE laughing and mocking me back then cos u all got in while i got rejected, now yall earning 5k++? good luck have fun:)

Unregistered 08-06-2022 03:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ah, so what are the professions that deserve that premium? Teachers guide and nurture Singapore's future workforce. Does the latter not "create greater value" for the economy?

Are teachers asking for "managerial pay"? What gave you that idea? Would teachers enjoy some form of pay increment? Definitely! Who wouldn't?

Also, this is a thread pertaining to the discussion of teacher salary. Is it unreasonable for teachers to share their opinions about the matter?

If anybody feels that teachers are not bringing value to society, I "challenge" them

1) To speak to teachers about the time and effort spent on mentoring the young of Singapore. These instances can take place in and out of classrooms, sometimes past working hours even.

2) To find out more about how a teacher juggles doing variants of work of a tutor, counsellor, mentor, coach, chaperone, administrator and etc.

3) To find out the rise of mental health awareness and how it changed the day to day job of a teacher

and etc..

Unregistered 08-06-2022 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220951)
Ah, so what are the professions that deserve that premium? Teachers guide and nurture Singapore's future workforce. Does the latter not "create greater value" for the economy?

Are teachers asking for "managerial pay"? What gave you that idea? Would teachers enjoy some form of pay increment? Definitely! Who wouldn't?

Also, this is a thread pertaining to the discussion of teacher salary. Is it unreasonable for teachers to share their opinions about the matter?

If anybody feels that teachers are not bringing value to society, I "challenge" them

1) To speak to teachers about the time and effort spent on mentoring the young of Singapore. These instances can take place in and out of classrooms, sometimes past working hours even.

2) To find out more about how a teacher juggles doing variants of work of a tutor, counsellor, mentor, coach, chaperone, administrator and etc.

3) To find out the rise of mental health awareness and how it changed the day to day job of a teacher

and etc..

Well, we can always be expecting clowns/trolls who will never be happy and always belittling the profession no matter what is being said. Why bother? And hey! Let's look forward to Mid year bonus happening in July, cheers!

Unregistered 08-06-2022 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220928)
Which serves to further reinforce my point. Why are young middle managers underpaid for doing the same work (maybe even more?) that older, hentak kaki middle managers are being paid?

I find that baffling too. As a young KP, I think my pay is lesser than some of my JHs yet doing far more.

Unregistered 08-06-2022 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220883)
Boy SMEs in Singapore employs 70% of the workforce. Teachers are really a privileged group compared to other professions. Do you dare say you work harder than lawyers, doctors or auditors.

Just compare your salary against the median salary to know how pampered you are. Don’t forget to add in all the bonuses that are only available to civil service. And please don’t compare yourself to the bank and tech sector. NIE is not the institution that attracts the best and brightest.

Umm I dunno how old you are but right now NIE BA/BSc(Ed) programme is only accepting AAB/B and above.

Unregistered 08-06-2022 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 220960)
Umm I dunno how old you are but right now NIE BA/BSc(Ed) programme is only accepting AAB/B and above.

And NIE BA/BSc(Ed) isn't exactly taking the ultimate cream of the crop either, even with the TSP upgrade...

MOE's managed to attract good talent these few years. Problem is, they don't know how to keep it.