Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 01-05-2022 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216452)
I fully agree. Comparison creates envy.

Slower progression happens in any organisation. Everyone cannot be leaders. Before we enter the ministry/civil service, we should accept that there is such a thing as an accelerated scheme for scholars. It means that within the system, there will be people with slower progression. It’s by design. You don’t have to like it, but you cannot choose to enter the system willingly and THEN complain that it exists.

Performance bonuses are to me an extra. I’ve planned my lifestyle based on my salary and not my uncertain bonus (that varies). If i do well, good. If i don't do well, also good. My family, friends, hobbies matter more to me than the endless pursuit of this elusive progression that I have no ultimate control over.

If you want fast progression, fat bonuses, a system where retrenchments are common (thats how young and new people replace the old and experienced and well paid folks), there are plenty of such companies out there. Question is: if you take a deep look at yourself, your qualifications, your abilities, your attitude, do you REALLY think you have it to survive/thrive in such a cut-throat environment? Be real. No free lunch in the world.

it’s ok .they will never understand that

Unregistered 01-05-2022 06:14 PM

Unless you are referring to KPs who helicopter down from HQ, otherwise school could have spent years identifying and grooming one to take up the KP position and to be competent in the job. Do you think it makes sense to have a tenture? & frankly speaking, if you are capable, you would have been identified. No need to be bitter about it.

Unregistered 01-05-2022 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216531)
Unless you are referring to KPs who helicopter down from HQ, otherwise school could have spent years identifying and grooming one to take up the KP position and to be competent in the job. Do you think it makes sense to have a tenture? & frankly speaking, if you are capable, you would have been identified. No need to be bitter about it.

I'm not talking abt myself.
But from the way u speak u must be one of the hod hoggers

Unregistered 02-05-2022 12:49 PM

Nowadays, there is so much competition to enter teaching that those who manage to get in are usually the good to excellent ones. This is unlike the mass hiring of the past where any basic person with a degree can be given a pass, thus any one who can teach well is usually able to take on Kp roles early on. But over time, Given that almost everyone is a scholar, it’s natural that the quality of new trainees are usually pretty decent and capable. At the current rate of slow promotions and lack of positions, these young and capable ones are simply going to leave after their bond ends. It’s not like they have no options as some people allude to here. More than half my batch are intending to leave after their bond ends. MOE needs to do something soon, or its just going to be a vicious cycle of young teachers leaving and being replaced by new trainees.

Unregistered 02-05-2022 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216594)
Nowadays, there is so much competition to enter teaching that those who manage to get in are usually the good to excellent ones. This is unlike the mass hiring of the past where any basic person with a degree can be given a pass, thus any one who can teach well is usually able to take on Kp roles early on. But over time, Given that almost everyone is a scholar, it’s natural that the quality of new trainees are usually pretty decent and capable. At the current rate of slow promotions and lack of positions, these young and capable ones are simply going to leave after their bond ends. It’s not like they have no options as some people allude to here. More than half my batch are intending to leave after their bond ends. MOE needs to do something soon, or its just going to be a vicious cycle of young teachers leaving and being replaced by new trainees.

Precisely. We need greater mobility.
The current system does not favour us.

Another suggestion is to adopt saf promotion.
Like last time no 3sg, 2sg, 1sg one
Then u create sub ranks

I suggest
GEO 1A
GEO 1B
GEO 1C
GEO 2A
GEO 2B
GEO 2C
GEO 3A
GEO 3B
GEO 3C
GEO 4A
GEO 4B
GEO 4C
GEO 5A
GEO 5B
GEO 5C

After all GEO 1 to 5 were created from GEO1A1, 1A2, 1A3

Unregistered 02-05-2022 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216638)

Then u create sub ranks

I suggest
GEO 1A
GEO 1B
GEO 1C
GEO 2A
GEO 2B
GEO 2C
GEO 3A
GEO 3B
GEO 3C
GEO 4A
GEO 4B
GEO 4C
GEO 5A
GEO 5B
GEO 5C

What's the use? If the salary ceiling at the highest grade remains unchanged, you just get more promotion certs over your career and have to give more promotion treats, but actually your salary progression is still shite.

Unregistered 03-05-2022 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216638)

Then u create sub ranks

I suggest
GEO 1A
GEO 1B
GEO 1C
GEO 2A
GEO 2B
GEO 2C
GEO 3A
GEO 3B
GEO 3C
GEO 4A
GEO 4B
GEO 4C
GEO 5A
GEO 5B
GEO 5C

you should go back to school :P haha

Unregistered 04-05-2022 05:29 PM

Do parents compliment letters help in faster promotion? Or does being nominated in award help?

Unregistered 04-05-2022 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216833)
Do parents compliment letters help in faster promotion? Or does being nominated in award help?

Getting compliments from stakeholders may be one of the factors that influences the panel to rank you higher, and it could contribute towards you getting a better performance grade.

But promotion is based on CEP leh.. raising CEP requires you to demonstrate the ability to perform some or all of the functions required at a higher level. Depending on what exactly the letter is about.. if it's about good T&L, probably won't help you get promoted faster. But if you get a lot of recognition (not just from parents but also colleagues/KPs/SLs) for strong Student Development work, you may be seen as a potential AYH and thus have your CEP raised.

Being awarded OYEA/PAT may be helpful. Or being a finalist.

Long story short.. faster promotion is very very hard to strategise towards. You just have to do your best, and wait for HR's magic finger. Nobody really knows how to game the system, and perhaps that was the design intent.

Tinkermaster 04-05-2022 07:02 PM

Not direct in anyway. Compliment letters only play a residual effect during ranking and not to any great extent. You can be nominated for different awards but even winning any does not really accelerate your promotion. But it probably does allow HR to focus on you as a candidate for certain appointments but this is also pretty rare unless the award is a at a larger scale e.g PTA etc. Then the SLs will probably repark more things on your plate to help you with your next appointment promotion. But to qualify and win those, usually you are already a KP doing substantial work or else you will not even be nominated.