Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 30-04-2022 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216292)
I think the most surprising (and depressing) thing is that since MOE changed to the GEO system, the salary ranges (lower and upper limits) for the different grades have not been adjusted. Like hello, since then, we don't have inflation meh?? So in terms of real income, teachers' pay have dropped.

Before the mergers of the schools, MOE used to have a wage increase every 3-4 years for every teacher, to take inflation into account.

The last time we had that was in 2015. Since then, I think the signal is clear from MOE that, they do not mind teachers resigning since they think the current compensation packages for teachers is "competitive".

Unregistered 30-04-2022 10:10 AM

Who know if the OYEA result is released?

Unregistered 30-04-2022 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216294)
Before the mergers of the schools, MOE used to have a wage increase every 3-4 years for every teacher, to take inflation into account.

The last time we had that was in 2015. Since then, I think the signal is clear from MOE that, they do not mind teachers resigning since they think the current compensation packages for teachers is "competitive".

I think they realise good Teachers impossible to keep.
A good group tuition teacher earns 600,000 per year
They would rather employ 5 average Teachers at 120,000 per year

Unregistered 30-04-2022 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216299)
I think they realise good Teachers impossible to keep.
A good group tuition teacher earns 600,000 per year
They would rather employ 5 average Teachers at 120,000 per year

If you put yourself in the shoes of the KP, 2 HOT who max out at GEO 5, cost as much or even more than 3 newly graduated NIE trainees.

But if you look at the amount of time those 3 newly graduated NIE trainees are willing to put in, how much extra work they are willing to do, it is much more than the 2 GEO 5.

Of course those of us who are in GEO 5 will loudly trump "but we have more experience than those NIE trainees!" but frankly, deep down, we can tell that is overrated.

Unregistered 30-04-2022 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216300)
If you put yourself in the shoes of the KP, 2 HOT who max out at GEO 5, cost as much or even more than 3 newly graduated NIE trainees.

But if you look at the amount of time those 3 newly graduated NIE trainees are willing to put in, how much extra work they are willing to do, it is much more than the 2 GEO 5.

Of course those of us who are in GEO 5 will loudly trump "but we have more experience than those NIE trainees!" but frankly, deep down, we can tell that is overrated.

What is KP/HOT

Unregistered 30-04-2022 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216293)
Is it really confirmed that the ministry allowed for a greater % of B? Any KPs in ranking panel able to confirm this?

Yes, because of covid. But I have to say the quantum is lower

Unregistered 30-04-2022 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216306)
What is KP/HOT

Key Personnel

Happy Ordinary Teacher

Unregistered 30-04-2022 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216298)
Who know if the OYEA result is released?

Also hope to know!

Unregistered 30-04-2022 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216292)
I think the most surprising (and depressing) thing is that since MOE changed to the GEO system, the salary ranges (lower and upper limits) for the different grades have not been adjusted. Like hello, since then, we don't have inflation meh?? So in terms of real income, teachers' pay have dropped.

Yup. Service-wide salary revisions used to be done every 4 to 5 years that would see upward shifts in the ranges at each subgrade, to account for inflation. This is the only way for officers at the ceiling of their subgrade, and also superscale officers (who don't get annual increments), to get a pay rise.

The last one was done in 2015 and since then, in MOE's eyes, there has not been any inflation :)

Unregistered 30-04-2022 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 216307)
Yes, because of covid. But I have to say the quantum is lower

Thank you...able to share what was the % quota for these grades before and after? :)