Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 04-03-2020 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129631)
Yes it will affect. Even for a KP who takes NPL for childcare. Her promotion was delayed..

What crappy quote... how do you know it got delayed... Are you an SL?..

Basically...from now on... promotion pace is going to be slower than before.. so we all just need to get used to it..

Unregistered 04-03-2020 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129660)

Basically...from now on... promotion pace is going to be slower than before.. so we all just need to get used to it..

Actually, it also depends on who you are. Example, if you are a scholar, unlikely your promotion will be delayed because of a NPL. (I personally know of a scholar who took NPL yet still got promoted the very year the person returned to service.) On the other hand, I know of normal officers who were told their promotion was delayed due to their NPL. (They were seen as not being able to cope. If they had to take NPL because of personal reasons, higher management feels that they may use the same reasons again next time. So delay promotion.) not very sound but what can we do?

Unregistered 04-03-2020 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129638)
Just curious if anyone applied through open posting for non teaching positions after no pay leave?

You mean apply to HQ? Yes, I know of a few colleagues who successfully applied to HQ after NPL.

Unregistered 04-03-2020 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129661)
Actually, it also depends on who you are. Example, if you are a scholar, unlikely your promotion will be delayed because of a NPL. (I personally know of a scholar who took NPL yet still got promoted the very year the person returned to service.) On the other hand, I know of normal officers who were told their promotion was delayed due to their NPL. (They were seen as not being able to cope. If they had to take NPL because of personal reasons, higher management feels that they may use the same reasons again next time. So delay promotion.) not very sound but what can we do?

Not SL. But based on what I know as true examples

1) normal teacher, non scholar got promoted to GEO5 during her NPL( take care of ailing parent)
I felt her promotion was Long overdue as she should be a high CEP officer.

2) cep shouldn’t be affected by just one NPL.

3) had colleagues who are KP. Also not promoted to GEO5 despite being KPs. Being a KP doesn’t mean your chance of promotion is increased

4) had a colleague after 2 NPL breaks ( extended after each maternity) . Got promoted to GEO5 after her second NPL. Then became KP.

Promotion is dependent on performance and CEP.

All above examples are non scholars and around the same age range and years in service.( +-3yrs)

Unregistered 04-03-2020 09:56 PM

Not SL,

But I have seen people being promoted to geo 4 in their 4th year in service. Males and females included.. Hut they are considered high CEP based on the committees and portfolio which they are undertaking

Not that they are KPs but have the potential to be one in future.

Unregistered 04-03-2020 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129660)

The examples of teachers being promoted to geo 4 in their 4th year in service include males and females. With the most recent happening in 2019.

Unregistered 05-03-2020 08:43 AM

Part time load for pri sch teachers

Is it very tough for schools to allow teachers to take on part time load. Report later 8.30am. What does this mean for the school. School did not explain to me why cannot grant me later report time. Just say due school's needs.

Unregistered 05-03-2020 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129671)
Is it very tough for schools to allow teachers to take on part time load. Report later 8.30am. What does this mean for the school. School did not explain to me why cannot grant me later report time. Just say due school's needs.

Speak to your RO, then your SL if needed. Do you have personal reasons to do so?
I think it should be communicated better than "school needs" but you should also communicate clearly why you need it.

For one, bargaining for later reporting time due to part time load is not convincing enough. Family needs would be a better reason. Bargain. Instead of 8.30 a.m. every day, see if you can come in on time for 2-3 days and 8.30 a.m. on the other days. I have colleagues who have very valid reason for late reporting -
e.g.
#1 - 4 schooling age kids, husband arrested and jailed
#2 - child with special needs in mainstream school, etc. Even so, they also understand school needs and took 3/5 days, with her husband taking them for the other 2 days.

Are you in a primary school? Primary school involves a lot of morning duties and with the current virus situation, a lot of teachers are definitely down for morning duties and the staff team is taxed, which may explain the resistance.

You also have to factor in that the timetable team will also need to make special provisions for your request.

Unregistered 05-03-2020 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129671)

If you are in the timetabling team you will know how hard it is to accomodate to your 'small request'. Monday-friday every other lessons have to go first because you report to school later. If you are taking lower P or MT it will be lagi worse because the classes are banded together. Request are not fcfs basis. School needs always come first. Some Ps will tell you, take it or off you go.

Unregistered 05-03-2020 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129667)
The examples of teachers being promoted to geo 4 in their 4th year in service include males and females. With the most recent happening in 2019.

It took me 6 years to get to GEO 5. Not a scholar but slogging all day long. I have never considered my cep high given my lousy class of degree. But performance grades over the years have been consistently B/A with C+ during year of promotion.

Unregistered 05-03-2020 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129697)
It took me 6 years to get to GEO 5. Not a scholar but slogging all day long. I have never considered my cep high given my lousy class of degree. But performance grades over the years have been consistently B/A with C+ during year of promotion.

You just reminded me of a female scholar who took 5 years to hit GEO5 and came in as a SH. with 3 years in a school, 2 years in hq.

A for performance is super liao. Your calibre is scholar liao. For you to hit GEO 5 in 6 years means your cep is high and you are a KP.

Unregistered 05-03-2020 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129695)
If you are in the timetabling team you will know how hard it is to accomodate to your 'small request'. Monday-friday every other lessons have to go first because you report to school later. If you are taking lower P or MT it will be lagi worse because the classes are banded together. Request are not fcfs basis. School needs always come first. Some Ps will tell you, take it or off you go.

Agree w this. Timetabling is a nightmare because of pre-existing conditions like banded classes already. Therefore schools can’t grant all personal requests - esp late reporting because it affects the TT and sometimes it can’t even be run.

Unregistered 06-03-2020 06:05 AM

If I would like to apply for open posting this year, is it a must to tell my current P? Can it be done quietly till the posting result is out?

Unregistered 06-03-2020 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129715)
If I would like to apply for open posting this year, is it a must to tell my current P? Can it be done quietly till the posting result is out?

I do not think there is a rule that says u must but it is out of courtesy so that they post an advert on open posting so that they can replace you.

you also do not want to shock your P when the other school might call asking about you - you can expect your P to be incensed sometimes...

I also suspect the moment u click on the button to accept the transfer, they will receive an email.

Unregistered 06-03-2020 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129663)
Not SL. But based on what I know as true examples

1) normal teacher, non scholar got promoted to GEO5 during her NPL( take care of ailing parent)
I felt her promotion was Long overdue as she should be a high CEP officer.

2) cep shouldn’t be affected by just one NPL.

3) had colleagues who are KP. Also not promoted to GEO5 despite being KPs. Being a KP doesn’t mean your chance of promotion is increased

4) had a colleague after 2 NPL breaks ( extended after each maternity) . Got promoted to GEO5 after her second NPL. Then became KP.

Promotion is dependent on performance and CEP.

All above examples are non scholars and around the same age range and years in service.( +-3yrs)

I felt her promotion was Long overdue as she should be a high CEP officer. - Depends on circumstances. Will need more info to give a proper opinion.

2) cep shouldn’t be affected by just one NPL. - it depends whether the P/VP/RO is a nice/horrid person. A couple of P's names come to mind.

3) had colleagues who are KP. Also not promoted to GEO5 despite being KPs. Being a KP doesn’t mean your chance of promotion is increased. - This is where I agree. There are a combination of reasons for this. Sometimes you are acting/covering, MOE side will not acknowledge. Or if your P decided not to put u up for promotion... could other factors too, favouritism?

4) had a colleague after 2 NPL breaks ( extended after each maternity) . Got promoted to GEO5 after her second NPL. Then became KP. - refer to my comment for pt. 3.

Promotion is dependent on performance and CEP. Yes and No - P liking you is also a factor... in fact, very impt. they like you, they can raise your CEP, Perf grade to a high level. There are times I feel we need to have undercover bosses in schools to check these people.

All above examples are non scholars and around the same age range and years in service.( +-3yrs)[/QUOTE]

Unregistered 06-03-2020 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129715)

You MUST tell your principal before applying.. Cos if you dun, you are burning your bridges. Your principal will know when you applied... Imagine you dun get, and llst.

Unregistered 06-03-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129697)

If you are good, and your school is willing to fight for you, your CEP can be adjusted upwards even if you originally came in with a crappy one. That is most likely what happened to you. Keep up the good work. 6 years to GEO5 is actually quite fast, faster than even some mediocre scholars.

arigatoast 06-03-2020 02:44 PM

Hi guys

any peeps here applied for PGDE as a Pe teacher ( untrained) in Jan 2020?
so far i have not received any news on the PPT dates. but i did received a call from MOE regarding the PPT.
any guys here have dates already? thanks

Unregistered 07-03-2020 10:09 PM

Do independent schools hire teachers without PGDE/teaching qualifications and send them for relevant training later on?

Unregistered 08-03-2020 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129791)
Do independent schools hire teachers without PGDE/teaching qualifications and send them for relevant training later on?

correct me if im wrong...i think if u wanna teach at any school that's under MOE, u need to have at least 1 of the 3 qualifications below:

1) diploma in education from NIE
2) BA in Education from NIE
3) PGDE from NIE

perhaps the only leeway MOE is willing to give potential applicants is that your cert doesn't need to be fully related to the subject that u have interest in. eg, engineering can teach maths, comms can teach english.

Unregistered 08-03-2020 01:22 PM

Some used to in the past, but I think that's not so common these days (since they're essentially sending you to be certified to teach in other schools). If an independent school is willing to hire you and treat you as a full teacher, I think it's more common these days for them to continue doing so without the relevant training.

(Implication - if you wish to change school later, you'll be limited to other independent schools.)

One exception might be if you do very well and they wish to get you appointed as a KP.

Quote:

Unregistered 08-03-2020 07:18 PM

Quote:

I saw independent schools having their own career portal and you can apply directly to them. But I think it is very hard to be considered without PGDE, I tried most of them and none of them called me up.

Unregistered 10-03-2020 10:11 PM

Hi, gonna be receiving my first PB this year and have a few questions:

1. When will PB be given?
2. How would we know our grading and the quantum awarded?
3. Do all male teachers get our first promotion after 1 year in service in April?

Thanks in advance!

Unregistered 11-03-2020 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129722)
You MUST tell your principal before applying.. Cos if you dun, you are burning your bridges. Your principal will know when you applied... Imagine you dun get, and llst.

What if your principal doesn't allow teachers to transfer out? Wouldn't it be better to just apply without informing?

Unregistered 11-03-2020 08:15 AM

P can't stop you from submitting request in system. Since he/she will likely find out anyway, might as well let him/her know earlier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129921)
What if your principal doesn't allow teachers to transfer out? Wouldn't it be better to just apply without informing?

Unregistered 11-03-2020 08:17 AM

1. Sometime in March. I got the email last year on 16 March. Payment by end of the month.
2. The pay advice states the grade and quantum.
3. From observation, pretty much yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129913)

3. Do all male teachers get our first promotion after 1 year in service in April?

Thanks in advance!

Unregistered 11-03-2020 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129913)

Thanks in advance!

1. Some where mid March, not with the salary on 12th.

2. Your RO should have communicated your grade to you when you do your work review at the end of year. It doesn't seem to be a uniform practice across schools though. By right, the grade should not be kept from JH.

Quantum will be reflected in the mail sent out by AGD, stating your performance grade and the amount that you will be receiving.

3. Yes, it is termed 'Cohort Promotion'.

Unregistered 11-03-2020 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129921)

No such thing as doesn't allow. Most of the time it is a give and take situation. SLs would definitely like to know your intention behind the transfer and may even try to dissuade you or see how they can support you. It is never a nice thing to have people doing things behind your back.

Unregistered 11-03-2020 09:14 AM

Promotion

Anyone received the promotion letter already?

Unregistered 11-03-2020 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129927)
2. Your RO should have communicated your grade to you when you do your work review at the end of year. It doesn't seem to be a uniform practice across schools though. By right, the grade should not be kept from JH.

In my school, it is the SOP to withhold this information until PRP letters are out. Of course, indirect leaks always happen. It is easy enough to hint to the JH about their performance grade, because we don't pull stunts and catch people off guard. If they're doing good they know it, if they're doing not so good they also know it along the way.

Unregistered 11-03-2020 05:36 PM

Hi

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129928)
No such thing as doesn't allow. Most of the time it is a give and take situation. SLs would definitely like to know your intention behind the transfer and may even try to dissuade you or see how they can support you. It is never a nice thing to have people doing things behind your back.

If I were to let the SL know of the transfer, wouldn't I be allowing him or her to spread bad rumours about me to my new school before open posting ends?

Unregistered 11-03-2020 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129952)
If I were to let the SL know of the transfer, wouldn't I be allowing him or her to spread bad rumours about me to my new school before open posting ends?

Your potential new school, the heads, SLs would have already asked from their contacts in your current school...

Unregistered 11-03-2020 06:35 PM

Quote:

Your new colleagues will know everything that your current colleagues and bosses will share about you - regardless of whether you let your SL know or not.

Why are you worried about "bad rumours" being spread? That phrase implies some untruth in the things that you think your SLs will say. Have you been regularly offending people?

Unregistered 11-03-2020 08:04 PM

My previous RO didnt mentioned anything about my performance, also my new RO now hasnt meet me yet.
Will transferring to a new school affect your current CEP? Because it is something like starting all over again..

How to survive in a school if your current school is super political?

Unregistered 11-03-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129976)
My previous RO didnt mentioned anything about my performance, also my new RO now hasnt meet me yet.
Will transferring to a new school affect your current CEP? Because it is something like starting all over again..

How to survive in a school if your current school is super political?

It will not be a case whereby you need to restart the entire thing. Your CEP follows you to your new school. But they might need some time to know you before deciding to raise your CEP if you have intention to move up the leadership/ teaching track.

Target setting should be done at the beginning of the year. Some...laid back ones will meet their JH in term 2.

Unregistered 11-03-2020 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129947)
In my school, it is the SOP to withhold this information until PRP letters are out. Of course, indirect leaks always happen. It is easy enough to hint to the JH about their performance grade, because we don't pull stunts and catch people off guard. If they're doing good they know it, if they're doing not so good they also know it along the way.

This SOP is something that the KPs should challenge. How can one start a year afresh without having a closure to the previous? If JH were to ask you, you cannot keep the grade from him/her.

Unregistered 11-03-2020 08:17 PM

Quote:

You think SLs are so free to go around spreading rumours about teachers? And if one is that infamous, people at the new school would have caught wind of it without the SLs sharing with one another.

Unregistered 11-03-2020 08:47 PM

Quote:

Sounds like its not rumour after all

Unregistered 11-03-2020 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129983)
Sounds like its not rumour after all

You do know that even if you get selected by the new school, they will call up your current P to find out more about you?

Unregistered 12-03-2020 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 129987)
You do know that even if you get selected by the new school, they will call up your current P to find out more about you?

If my P doesn't want to allow me to transfer because of various reasons, then the P may choose not to give negative remarks am I right?