Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 16-04-2022 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214161)
For FAJT path - would be advisable to try to get to GEO5 before resigning, if possible. An SH appointment would help with that (though she'll need to be prepared to work hard in the meantime).

Already seo5 she just wondering if it worth it to be seo1 or hot/sot… she will hit ceiling in few years … she realise diff 500 between geo5 n seo1 only

Unregistered 16-04-2022 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214197)
Already seo5 she just wondering if it worth it to be seo1 or hot/sot… she will hit ceiling in few years … she realise diff 500 between geo5 n seo1 only

Hmm if not really interesting in progressing up the EO track, then I feel GEO5 suffices. The current HQ stint is probably more valuable than a SH stint for moving to another ministry. For FAJT role, having SEO1 is likely to be meaningless.

Unregistered 16-04-2022 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214209)
Hmm if not really interesting in progressing up the EO track, then I feel GEO5 suffices. The current HQ stint is probably more valuable than a SH stint for moving to another ministry. For FAJT role, having SEO1 is likely to be meaningless.

She thought of govtech or mindef if sh doesn’t work out … but if it works out she may choose sh… if u guys what will u choose… the trade off is if out of teaching… want to fajt next time maybe more difficult … cause teaching no matter what is like a skill… but gg other agency may become project manager or coordinator

Unregistered 16-04-2022 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214216)
She thought of govtech or mindef if sh doesn’t work out … but if it works out she may choose sh… if u guys what will u choose… the trade off is if out of teaching… want to fajt next time maybe more difficult … cause teaching no matter what is like a skill… but gg other agency may become project manager or coordinator

Hmm I think as a HQ officer and former teacher, she should be able to weigh the two types of roles and evaluate which she prefers? My sense is that life as a KP gets even more hectic (and yes, with little additional remuneration at SEO1).

Personally I would explore opportunities in other agencies if it's possible - don't feel returning as FAJT is that difficult, if the officer has a proven track record (though other factors, like age and teaching subject(s), would affect this).

Unregistered 17-04-2022 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214216)

Would recommend to hop over to GovTech or MINDEF asap. Going for FAJT is a waste. GovTech has been growing so much and the skill sets and salaries there are highly attractive. MINDEF has much better WLB and benefits, not forgetting the greater stability as well.

Unregistered 17-04-2022 11:30 AM

On my way to HQ next year on FHQ posting, but already thinking of throwing letter. Have been internally appointed as SH for one year then HOD this year, with full teaching load. Not yet a confirmed KP because only promoted to geo4 this year. The work life balance is nonexistent. My normal teacher job eats up 60-80 hours a week, then I have to pull multiple allnighters a week to complete HOD work. I estimate I work about 100-110 hours per week in total.

School says I have high CEP and a good future but my promotion rate doesn't really match up to expectations.

I suppose HQ protects our worklife "harmony" a bit better? Help me understand if I should just give up now and seek greener pastures elsewhere..

Unregistered 17-04-2022 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214266)
I suppose HQ protects our worklife "harmony" a bit better? Help me understand if I should just give up now and seek greener pastures elsewhere..

Depends on which division you head to - as a rule of thumb, the closer you are to the top, the more you'll have to jump… It's possible to seek a lower-octane posting; try to understand the culture of the options you are presented.

If you can tahan, will advise you try to do so… there's a good chance life will be better next year, and that posting will probably help with transitioning out, if you choose to do so later?

Unregistered 17-04-2022 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 214153)
I think "HOT" is already outdated. The H should be removed, looking at our current situation. Or replace it with the opposite of that H, which is an S.

"SOT" sounds more appropriate.

Hahaha ... the S stands for "Simple" or "Sad"?

Unregistered 17-04-2022 01:51 PM

From the posts so far it sounds is it really so bad to go back to school?

Unregistered 17-04-2022 02:52 PM

Just curious if Teachers are required to give out their personal Hp numbers to students, for sec sch and above? If yes, wouldn’t you receive a lot of texts / queries from students on weekends?