Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 22-01-2020 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128251)
If you want to be noticed and climb, a surplus of teachers in your school is probably the best kind of situation. It means you have more time to work on stuff that gets you noticed positively by a wider range of KPs and SLs. Ask to lead committees or school-wide projects. Present at open classrooms. Go for courses and share relevant learning with your department during internal PD sessions. Basically, look at the KRAs for your subgrade and beef up your portfolio of work in the non-T&L areas (assuming your T&L is already sorted and solid and you have time and mental bandwidth to work on other areas - don't bother trying to climb if your T&L still cannot make it). Be higher profile and be noticed, but don't be obnoxious. If you are noticed to be reliably performing beyond your current grade, you will obviously be given good performance grades and probably promoted.

Thank you for the advise, one thing is, they/head allocate work for us. Like each of us taking care of certain committee/projects. So we cant 'hijack' their project.. I wasnt given any, and I suggested something yet I think because I'm the only geo3 there, the head gave the projects to the geo4 and 5s. I'm the helper this year I feel.

Is it good for me to come out with something by myself? Or is it a must for me to talk to RO. Because my RO is the head.. and people do feel my subject is useless. Sad you know

Unregistered 22-01-2020 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128268)
Thank you for the advise, one thing is, they/head allocate work for us. Like each of us taking care of certain committee/projects. So we cant 'hijack' their project.. I wasnt given any, and I suggested something yet I think because I'm the only geo3 there, the head gave the projects to the geo4 and 5s. I'm the helper this year I feel.

Is it good for me to come out with something by myself? Or is it a must for me to talk to RO. Because my RO is the head.. and people do feel my subject is useless. Sad you know

No subject is useless. Every subject has a purpose. What subject do you teach? Perhaps we can offer some ideas on how you can show that you are doing well?

Yes, take the initiative to speak to your RO if you would like stretched assignments. Sometimes, stretched assignments are not given because of other areas of concern. E.g. officer is still struggling with T&L or classroom management. Another consideration is length of service of officer. If you are 1-2 years into service, it is unlikely that you will be put to head a committee or project. However, do speak to your RO if you feel that you are capable of doing it. (Just note that it is still unlikely for a young officer to be First IC. Maybe 2nd IC?)

If your RO is unable to give you a reasonable explanation, you can also seek advice from your SLs. Do note that SLs are not unreasonable bosses. They are there to help officers grow as well. However, you must first speak to your RO. Never ever skip hierarchy. Only go to the next level if you tried speaking to your RO but get a non satisfactory answer.

Unregistered 22-01-2020 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128272)
No subject is useless. Every subject has a purpose. What subject do you teach? Perhaps we can offer some ideas on how you can show that you are doing well?

Yes, take the initiative to speak to your RO if you would like stretched assignments. Sometimes, stretched assignments are not given because of other areas of concern. E.g. officer is still struggling with T&L or classroom management. Another consideration is length of service of officer. If you are 1-2 years into service, it is unlikely that you will be put to head a committee or project. However, do speak to your RO if you feel that you are capable of doing it. (Just note that it is still unlikely for a young officer to be First IC. Maybe 2nd IC?)

If your RO is unable to give you a reasonable explanation, you can also seek advice from your SLs. Do note that SLs are not unreasonable bosses. They are there to help officers grow as well. However, you must first speak to your RO. Never ever skip hierarchy. Only go to the next level if you tried speaking to your RO but get a non satisfactory answer.

What happens if we skip chain of command?
Will they send us to dB?

Unregistered 22-01-2020 07:25 PM

I see newbies asking for more work whereas veterans are asking to be offloaded

To be honest, after a while you will feel jaded. There will always be someone up there above you.

Unregistered 22-01-2020 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128274)
Will they send us to dB?

Then you will find yourself being marked... Things will be made harder at least not on the surface though. It's common sense in CS that you do not skip the chain of command.

Unregistered 22-01-2020 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128274)
Will they send us to dB?

Of course you will not be given warning letter or anything drastic. BUT you will be viewed differently. You will be viewed as an impulsive officer who just wants to make himself/herself heard and someone who does not know how to honour ranks. (I am not saying that all our bosses are reasonable and they listen.) However, we as sensible officers must learn what it means by organisational structure. We don’t anyhow skip ranks when we want to give feedback. There is a process. Follow it it you are a sensible and mature officer.

You should only escalate upwards when you have done your due duty and your RO is not helping.

Remember, even though there is an need for us to speak up for ourselves, follow organisational structure and be a mature officer. No one will look highly of officers who does not understand humility and organisational structure. You may be competent but lack EQ in this area.

Unregistered 23-01-2020 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128272)

My subject is music. Specialization which means I only have 1 CS. Because of this, many people are unhappy saying oh, we don't have to set papers/remedials/supplementary or others.
But we do have 40, min.38 teaching periods, of cos lesson planning is norm since we don't really have a strict followed SOW and we have to come out with our own lessons. CCA and to cover teachers for duties - since they think we are very free.
We need to do relief at times too
Many comments of music teachers are just singing, lesson is easy and karaoke session. It is sad to hear that. I am very motivated to teach pupils, happy to see them daily but when back to office... I feel so different.

I read that older officers get jaded... this feeling isn't good and I can slowly feel that everyone here is fighting upwards high, and snatch every piece of the things you wish to be part of it. Is it true/happening in other schools too?

Unregistered 23-01-2020 02:53 PM

can anyone advise whether an officer getting C- will get merit increment?

Unregistered 23-01-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128300)
My subject is music. Specialization which means I only have 1 CS. Because of this, many people are unhappy saying oh, we don't have to set papers/remedials/supplementary or others.
But we do have 40, min.38 teaching periods, of cos lesson planning is norm since we don't really have a strict followed SOW and we have to come out with our own lessons. CCA and to cover teachers for duties - since they think we are very free.
We need to do relief at times too
Many comments of music teachers are just singing, lesson is easy and karaoke session. It is sad to hear that. I am very motivated to teach pupils, happy to see them daily but when back to office... I feel so different.

I read that older officers get jaded... this feeling isn't good and I can slowly feel that everyone here is fighting upwards high, and snatch every piece of the things you wish to be part of it. Is it true/happening in other schools too?

The thing is we cannot stop others from saying what they want to say. There is also no need for you to stop them. Senior officers and school leaders will know that everyone, regardless of their teaching subjects, have their workload assigned according to their substantive grade.

As a music teacher, there are many ways for you to show your contribution. E.g. try to voice out your interest in joining the aesthetics com. You can help prepare students for performances or create programmes for Aesthetics.

Other than teaching your subject well, you can also try to infuse learning of values through music lessons. When your students have shown improvement in values, it will look good on you too.

Also, as a teacher, you would also have a form class and CCA students to influence. Make positive impact on the students’ learning and you will do alright.

Once you have some strategies for your success, you can then do a sharing with your colleagues. Invite them to your lessons to see how you impart values through your subject.

I don’t subscribe to the belief that everyone is snatching a piece of something. In this field, there are endless things a teacher can do/innovate. What is important is that we do it with the right intent. When you do things right with the right intent, there will be opportunities for you to shine.

Additionally, there isn’t a need to compare about senior officers getting jaded. Understand that everyone is at a different life stage and will view career differently.

Just do your best! Press on!

Unregistered 26-01-2020 11:26 AM

Wuhan virus

Is anyone here also concerned about the Wuhan coronavirus? Given our proximity to so many students and our predisposition to the flu, I feel it’s quite worrying. My student has relatives from Wuhan staying with her, who flew in a few days ago :-(

Unregistered 26-01-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128336)
Is anyone here also concerned about the Wuhan coronavirus? Given our proximity to so many students and our predisposition to the flu, I feel it’s quite worrying. My student has relatives from Wuhan staying with her, who flew in a few days ago :-(

Hong kong has closed school already. I believe moe will eventually close school like in 2003.

In the mean time we can expect stricter measures like temp checks 3 times a day. Partial cancelling of cca and non essential academic activity and school assemblies.

No doubt there will be school closure as the situation worsens in march or april. Now is still too early.

But there is a consequence. June holidays will be cut short. And we need to rush currciulum after school reopens.

In the mean time u just ask ur student to monitor temperature and if her relative is sick, advise them to go to public hosp immediately.

We can all do this and survive like the 2003.

Unregistered 30-01-2020 06:33 AM

Quantum for PB

May I check when does the P decide the quantum for the PB March 2020? At the end of 2019 or early 2020?

Unregistered 31-01-2020 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128419)
May I check when does the P decide the quantum for the PB March 2020? At the end of 2019 or early 2020?

I guess it should have been decided once ranking is finalised. Doesnt make sense to do backtracking half a year later.

Unregistered 01-02-2020 11:31 AM

hi all, is there merit increment for C-?

Unregistered 02-02-2020 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128071)
Anybody aware of where the demand lies now? Eg Primary/Secondary and what subjects

Mainly demand now is in primary school and the new MOE kindergarden. Subjects with excess teachers are math and science. JC probably very little demand due to the mergers.

Unregistered 02-02-2020 05:49 PM

How is the pay scale and progression like for MOE Kindergartens?

Unregistered 02-02-2020 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128516)
How is the pay scale and progression like for MOE Kindergartens?

You can find their progression chart on their website. But I dont see them sharing the payscale though.

Unregistered 03-02-2020 07:59 PM

Any merit increment for someone at ceiling but will be promoted this yr?

Unregistered 03-02-2020 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128546)

No. You'll just get the promotion increment.

Unregistered 04-02-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128546)

If you are not promoted, it will also means you have hit the ceiling. No increment this year till your next promotion.

Hitting the ceiling doesn't necessarily mean you will be promoted. Times have changed.

Unregistered 05-02-2020 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128526)
You can find their progression chart on their website. But I dont see them sharing the payscale though.

I'm guessing that for MOE Kindergartens, their payscale and progression will be lower and slower as compared to the normal GEO scheme right?

Unregistered 06-02-2020 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128611)
I'm guessing that for MOE Kindergartens, their payscale and progression will be lower and slower as compared to the normal GEO scheme right?

The pay is lower at each roughly equivalent grade. However, progression up the scales and grades is not necessarily slower. You can also be promoted very quickly if you are seen to have high potential.

Unregistered 06-02-2020 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128558)
No. You'll just get the promotion increment.

That sucks. Sigh. . Even my RO dont know. Now I'm freaking pissed.

Unregistered 06-02-2020 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128634)

This means even if u r promoted... you are essentially being penalised for 2 years where you first got a shitty increment and then missing out on another merit increment even if you are promoted?

Unregistered 06-02-2020 12:44 PM

Why exactly are you pissed? Is unlocking a higher pay ceiling + getting a promotion increment inferior to getting your merit increment?

From personal experience, my previous promotion year increments (about $500, $400) were always larger than standard annual increments. I've never really tried to analyse the exact breakdown; it's really out of our hands anyway (centrally controlled/computed by HR).

If it really bothers you that much, you can always turn down the promotion…

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128634)

Unregistered 07-02-2020 03:45 PM

Am thinking of applying for open posting this year. Any advice? What to prepare? Possible to email SL of the school beforehand? Anyone has experience could advise?

Unregistered 07-02-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128639)
Why exactly are you pissed? Is unlocking a higher pay ceiling + getting a promotion increment inferior to getting your merit increment?

From personal experience, my previous promotion year increments (about $500, $400) were always larger than standard annual increments. I've never really tried to analyse the exact breakdown; it's really out of our hands anyway (centrally controlled/computed by HR).

If it really bothers you that much, you can always turn down the promotion…

I thought u will get the merit increment then later the promotion raise?

Unregistered 08-02-2020 12:36 AM

Anyone applied for the untrained teacher intake that just close on 28th Jan?

Unregistered 08-02-2020 02:52 AM

Corna virus

Let's discuss!

Unregistered 09-02-2020 07:57 AM

I think they should close the school since this morning news announced 7 more infections.. more clusters of infections emerging.. sooner or later will be an issue if schools continue.

We can do online learning or need to, cut into the June / Dec holidays. Just thinking out loud

Unregistered 11-02-2020 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128683)
Anyone applied for the untrained teacher intake that just close on 28th Jan?

I did not reapply, failed a few times before. These days it is hard to get in due to excess teachers

Unregistered 13-02-2020 05:32 PM

Hi, need some advice about dealing with direct ROs.

My RO is quite an old, blur and forgetful HOD. Not that I have anything against his age, but he loves to dump a lot of workload on the new or younger officers (newly transferred in or within 5 years of service).

Not that people are unwilling to do the extra (or even sudden) work, but it's very unfair when we are not being recognised for completing these extra workload while he takes credit. In the meantime, the older and experienced teachers usually don't get any new extra workload.

Because of his failing memory sometimes, certain duties are also not rotated. Even after telling and requesting a change, he refuses to budge despite the fact that certain roles have a heavier workload.

After speaking to other KPs from my own school and even from other schools, most responses are just about sucking it up.

I love my school culture and colleagues. But it seems like having a good boss also matters a lot. Any advice?

Unregistered 13-02-2020 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128831)
Hi, need some advice about dealing with direct ROs.

My RO is quite an old, blur and forgetful HOD. Not that I have anything against his age, but he loves to dump a lot of workload on the new or younger officers (newly transferred in or within 5 years of service).

Not that people are unwilling to do the extra (or even sudden) work, but it's very unfair when we are not being recognised for completing these extra workload while he takes credit. In the meantime, the older and experienced teachers usually don't get any new extra workload.

Because of his failing memory sometimes, certain duties are also not rotated. Even after telling and requesting a change, he refuses to budge despite the fact that certain roles have a heavier workload.

After speaking to other KPs from my own school and even from other schools, most responses are just about sucking it up.

I love my school culture and colleagues. But it seems like having a good boss also matters a lot. Any advice?

Be proactive. Ask the seniors for help. Voice out that you need support and then speak to your RO. You need to phrase it in a way whereby you need additional support and in a way where it’s difficult for them to say no. Follow up with an email. Instead of doing it alone, get a team to help you. In this way, you can also use it as an opportunity to showcase your leadership.

Unregistered 14-02-2020 10:50 AM

Hello,

Does anybody know how long it takes for MOE to get back to you after an application's closing date?

Unregistered 14-02-2020 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128857)
Hello,

Does anybody know how long it takes for MOE to get back to you after an application's closing date?

Usually at least 2 weeks

Unregistered 14-02-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128859)
Usually at least 2 weeks

Thanks! Totally stretching my neck waiting for them to get back to me now... :(

Unregistered 14-02-2020 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128707)
I think they should close the school since this morning news announced 7 more infections.. more clusters of infections emerging.. sooner or later will be an issue if schools continue.

We can do online learning or need to, cut into the June / Dec holidays. Just thinking out loud

Cut all ccas first, those are non-essential programs in my opinion.

Unregistered 15-02-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128842)
Be proactive. Ask the seniors for help. Voice out that you need support and then speak to your RO. You need to phrase it in a way whereby you need additional support and in a way where it’s difficult for them to say no. Follow up with an email. Instead of doing it alone, get a team to help you. In this way, you can also use it as an opportunity to showcase your leadership.

The issue is everyone is grumbling about it, but don't dare to speak or act on it. My department colleagues are scared that their own performance grades will be threatened.

Unregistered 15-02-2020 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128782)
I did not reapply, failed a few times before. These days it is hard to get in due to excess teachers

How did you fail? What was the assessment criteria like.

Unregistered 15-02-2020 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 128898)
The issue is everyone is grumbling about it, but don't dare to speak or act on it. My department colleagues are scared that their own performance grades will be threatened.

If you don’t dare to speak up for yourself, then I guess you have chosen to live with the situation. There’s no point complaining if you don’t take any action.