Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 04-04-2022 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212142)
Cv on hrp already reflects the change.

It only shows your substantive grade but not your new salary. :(

Unregistered 04-04-2022 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212250)
Finished practicum March 2021 (male, local scholar, first class honors). Got promoted to GEO3 this April, confirmation letter came in a separate email from P. But also have batch mates promoting in October.

Can share to see if it’s dependent on either performance grade or masters?

Unregistered 04-04-2022 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212278)

It could be because some PGDE graduates already have 1 year untrained contract which maybe counts towards time-in-grade, thus reducing the additional time they need to spend at geo2.

Not everyone has untrained contract though. Some overseas scholars come back just in time for December intake.

Unregistered 05-04-2022 12:32 AM

Quote:

Would love to hear from OP as well

Unregistered 05-04-2022 01:29 PM

Quote:

As far as I understand its about performance. I myself got promoted to GEO3 in Apr at the same time as confirmation. But I have friends who also promoted in Oct. promotion is not automatic. It could be a function of HR's blackbox or your P's reluctance to promote, depending on the advice given by your RO and ranking pane

Unregistered 05-04-2022 01:32 PM

Quote:

Having masters doesn't increase your CEP or result in quicker promotion. Although by right it should indirectly lead to better performance since toy had more years of education and training. But I know. Of some friends with masters who promoted earlier compared to the same batchmates. But this shoukd be a function of age also rather than the masters. Age, years in substantive grade and years in service are taken into account when deciding promotion, apart from cep and consistent performance.

Unregistered 05-04-2022 02:41 PM

Hey same here... I am a diploma holder.

When I first started, it hurts to compare the work we do as diploma holder with the pay we got... Especially with our degree counterpart. My first RO was very clear if I am here for the money, she said she would rather me quit the service then stay on. She told me to also always remember why I join teaching and not to compare our work load etc. She also asked me of my 5 yrs plan, when I told her I had none, she was rather straightforward and told me she wants me out of the school so that I can learn from other n hone my craft as a teacher when I pick up good practices from others...So with her advice, I do my work and boy do I work hard for it.

2013 - confirmed 2.1
2014 - promoted to 2A1
2015 - redesignated as Geo 2
2016 - promoted to Geo 3
2018 - promoted to Geo 4
(Changed school)
2022 - promoted to Geo 5

Now holding a KP role, figuring out how to inspire other teachers to do their best for our students among many things.

Am I a scholar?...nope...Do I have a degree? Only degree celsius...hahaha... Do I have the gift of the gab? Maybe but if you know me as a friend, I don't speak eloquently...

My advise to the younger teachers, have faith in what you do then inspire others to share in what you believe in. Have plenty of laughter along the way and if the promotion/ KP role is meant to be yours, it will eventually.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prettyrainbow (Post 211703)
I’m a diploma holder, teaching mother tongue, 11 years in service.

2015 B (promoted to GEO 2A1)
2016 B
2017 B
2018 A (promoted to GEO 3)
2019 B
2020 B (supposed to be promoted to GEO 4 but rescinded due to a written warning haiz)
2021 C+
2022 B (promoted to GEO 4)

I think after reading some of the responses in this thread, I do agree that having a good RO and having your work to be “seen” by those in school, really helps in ranking and promotion, I guess? The more involved you are in other committee work, on top of the work in your department is a plus point, I feel.

I just started on an acting KP role recently so I’m hoping that could help in my ranking in the upcoming years

Unregistered 05-04-2022 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212378)

When I first started, it hurts to compare the work we do as diploma holder with the pay we got... Especially with our degree counterpart. My first RO was very clear if I am here for the money, she said she would rather me quit the service then stay on. She told me to also always remember why I join teaching and not to compare our work load etc. She also asked me of my 5 yrs plan, when I told her I had none, she was rather straightforward and told me she wants me out of the school so that I can learn from other n hone my craft as a teacher when I pick up good practices from others...So with her advice, I do my work and boy do I work hard for it.

2013 - confirmed 2.1
2014 - promoted to 2A1
2016 - promoted to Geo 3
2018 - promoted to Geo 4
(Changed school)
2022 - promoted to Geo 5

Now holding a KP role, figuring out how to inspire other teachers to do their best for our students among many things.

Am I a scholar?...nope...Do I have a degree? Only degree celsius...hahaha... Do I have the gift of the gab? Maybe but if you know me as a friend, I don't speak eloquently...

My advise to the younger teachers, have faith in what you do then inspire others to share in what you believe in. Have plenty of laughter along the way and if the promotion/ KP role is meant to be yours, it will eventually.

what is your main teaching subject? are you a subject KP?

Unregistered 05-04-2022 07:48 PM

Is it possible for non-scholar to get Performance Grade A?

Is it possible for non-scholar to get Performance Grade A?

Unregistered 05-04-2022 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 212378)

2013 - confirmed 2.1
2014 - promoted to 2A1
2016 - promoted to Geo 3
2018 - promoted to Geo 4
(Changed school)
2022 - promoted to Geo 5

So you joined the service in 2013 as a diploma holder and is already GEO 5 now? That's fast