Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 26-03-2022 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210353)
2019: GEO2 fresh BT out of PGDE
2020: GEO3
2022: GEO4

How's my progression rate? This is my 4th year teaching and was thinking its a good time to shift school or to hq as things have become a little stale in my school. Yet, there is always inertia to leave. Those who have left via OP, why did you leave and how are you doing?

Good progression, that means your CEP is high. Are u on FLP? U might be identified for facilitated posting to HQ to gain more exp, so you can return to sch as KP. If not, u can apply to HQ by yourself, and still can go back to sch as KP

Unregistered 26-03-2022 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210365)
May I check if there is any criteria for promotion?
HR decides everything? Can P or RO do anything to help?

Actually RO doesn't really have much power - it's the P. Speak to him/her directly lol. My P talked to me about promotions etc before in 1-1 conversations, he was pretty frank

Unregistered 26-03-2022 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210411)
Good progression, that means your CEP is high. Are u on FLP? U might be identified for facilitated posting to HQ to gain more exp, so you can return to sch as KP. If not, u can apply to HQ by yourself, and still can go back to sch as KP

Between staying in school to be an SH and eventually working my way to HOD, and applying for HQ position and coming back as a SH (in some sense losing two years), is it really advantageous to do the latter if I cns get promoted earlier in schools? A little early la but speaking form. Some who aspires to be an SL in the future.

Unregistered 26-03-2022 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210419)
Between staying in school to be an SH and eventually working my way to HOD, and applying for HQ position and coming back as a SH (in some sense losing two years), is it really advantageous to do the latter if I cns get promoted earlier in schools? A little early la but speaking form. Some who aspires to be an SL in the future.

You can still shoot for HOD positions during Enhanced Posting Support, regardless of your prior experience. But you will be put to the test during the interviews, especially the cluster panel one. If you meet their expectations, you could be found suitable for HOD appointment even if you lack formal SH experience prior to going to HQ. Fair warning though, while not impossible, it is tough.

There are two such HODs in my school right now. But they are really good, so no surprise.

Unregistered 26-03-2022 11:32 AM

5th year as GEO 4 and just changed school through closed posting. Is everything reset to 0, means I need to wait another 4 to 5 years before I can even dream of getting promoted? Anyone with such experience?

Unregistered 26-03-2022 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210424)
5th year as GEO 4 and just changed school through closed posting. Is everything reset to 0, means I need to wait another 4 to 5 years before I can even dream of getting promoted? Anyone with such experience?

If you are not a KP/ST and/or your CEP is at geo5, you could be waiting up to 11 years. (Source: colleague who finally got her geo5, never got a single C- or D grade)

Unregistered 26-03-2022 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210434)
If you are not a KP/ST and/or your CEP is at geo5, you could be waiting up to 11 years. (Source: colleague who finally got her geo5, never got a single C- or D grade)

I never got a single C- or D as well. Ever since promoted to GEO4, it has always been C and the recent one is B. The school did give me quite a few development opportunities but mentioned there was no vacancies for any KP/ST position. Just quite demoralizing as my students' performances have generally been good.

Unregistered 26-03-2022 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210442)
I never got a single C- or D as well. Ever since promoted to GEO4, it has always been C and the recent one is B. The school did give me quite a few development opportunities but mentioned there was no vacancies for any KP/ST position. Just quite demoralizing as my students' performances have generally been good.

Yes I think this sums up the underlying reason for slow promotion and progression generally seen in the service - there is a bottleneck :( . Not because you are not good.

You have done well for your students, thank you for your hard work.

Unregistered 26-03-2022 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210353)
2019: GEO2 fresh BT out of PGDE
2020: GEO3
2022: GEO4

How's my progression rate? This is my 4th year teaching and was thinking its a good time to shift school or to hq as things have become a little stale in my school. Yet, there is always inertia to leave. Those who have left via OP, why did you leave and how are you doing?

Same...
Jan 2019: GEO2 fresh BT out of NIE degree
Mar 2020: GEO3
Mar 2022: GEO4

Male and not a scholar. Just a normal teacher with two Bs and one C PB grade. Didn't expect to be promoted so soon.

Unregistered 26-03-2022 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 210449)
Same...
Jan 2019: GEO2 fresh BT out of NIE degree
Mar 2020: GEO3
Mar 2022: GEO4

Male and not a scholar. Just a normal teacher with two Bs and one C PB grade. Didn't expect to be promoted so soon.

Congratulations. That's fast. Are you mid-career?