Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 06-11-2015 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74724)
Nobody considers employer's CPF as pay actually.

So if I am correct you are probably on a 16 month package, i.e. 7700 X 16 = 123,200?

It reaffirms my belief that civil service is actually very good in terms of total pay. Thats why I don't understand why all those young grads are so narrow view that they just want to join a bank no matter what even if its ops or branch sales.

Civil service glass ceiling is definitely lower than a bank and most people won't make it to superscale even when they retire, but honestly unless you are really good at sales or in the IB side, I don't think there are many 'bankers' that are making 123k after working 12 years.

Yes I agree. Maybe that's why MOE seems more keen now to hire mid-career people, bcoz they have experienced the 'real' world outside and it's definitely not a bed of roses either :)

Unregistered 06-11-2015 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74723)
Just to share with those interested. I have been teaching for about 12 years since I graduated from NUS. I don't hold any leadership position or posts in school. I'm an average performer who gets the standard promotions that come every few year so in other words, I'm just your basic teacher. I think I'm almost at the top of the pay scale for a normal teacher (Can't really tell after the changes this year. I was at my max on the old scale though). My gross pay is about $7700. Honestly if you include the employer's CPF contribution, 13th month pay and various bonuses, the total pay package for a normal teacher can easily be above 100k per year. That's not a bad deal given the fact that its a recession proof job. Still if you are in it for the money, its doubtful that you can last long. I've had so many friends who couldn't take it and have already left teaching. So do think about it carefully before you decide. It's painful to go to work when you really dislike what you are doing.

Thanks for sharing. May I know what's the typical working hours like for a teacher?

Unregistered 06-11-2015 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74759)
Hi, I'm doing the exact opposite from u. I'm in banking sales for about 15 yrs now and making a switch to teaching. The income in banking sales is good if u do well and basic pay is also very substantial when u move up to private banking, which is where I am for the past 10 yrs. BUT the stress is even more substantial. Don't envy what u see of bankers, yes there are big bonuses, fast cars, big houses. But more often than not, unless u truly love selling, it's a matter of time before u get burnt out by the sales targets. And during recessions, this job is not safe. Of coz, teaching job is not easy either, but it's undeniable that it's a recession proof job. All being said, it's good that u enjoy your work, all the best.

Did u make the switch to teaching successfully?
How's the interview and did u get to choose the subject and level u want to teach?
What's the starting pay for mid career?
Hope you can share yr experience with people considering whether to make the switch.

Unregistered 06-11-2015 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74776)
Did u make the switch to teaching successfully?
How's the interview and did u get to choose the subject and level u want to teach?
What's the starting pay for mid career?
Hope you can share yr experience with people considering whether to make the switch.

Hi, I have gone for the MOE interview and now awaiting for the outcome. I chose my preferred level which was primary general and was also given primary general. The interview was relatively smooth, we have to write a essay in 20mins on a topic given by them, the do a 5min classroom presentation to the panel who will act as the students, and lastly sit down for the actual verbal interview.

No discussion yet on the pay but I know from others that it will prob be ard $4k+ before going to NIE for training, and will be increased after that. The standard of 6k-7k is quite accurate. I will be taking a severe pay cut but money is not the deciding factor for my decision to switch. I value the stability of the job and I also enjoy interacting with children.

Unregistered 07-11-2015 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74723)
Just to share with those interested. I have been teaching for about 12 years since I graduated from NUS. I don't hold any leadership position or posts in school. I'm an average performer who gets the standard promotions that come every few year so in other words, I'm just your basic teacher. I think I'm almost at the top of the pay scale for a normal teacher (Can't really tell after the changes this year. I was at my max on the old scale though). My gross pay is about $7700. Honestly if you include the employer's CPF contribution, 13th month pay and various bonuses, the total pay package for a normal teacher can easily be above 100k per year. That's not a bad deal given the fact that its a recession proof job. Still if you are in it for the money, its doubtful that you can last long. I've had so many friends who couldn't take it and have already left teaching. So do think about it carefully before you decide. It's painful to go to work when you really dislike what you are doing.

This is very good salary. All the more so when this is supposed to be the progression of an average performer. May I know how old you are this year?

Unregistered 07-11-2015 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74724)
Nobody considers employer's CPF as pay actually.

So if I am correct you are probably on a 16 month package, i.e. 7700 X 16 = 123,200?

It reaffirms my belief that civil service is actually very good in terms of total pay. Thats why I don't understand why all those young grads are so narrow view that they just want to join a bank no matter what even if its ops or branch sales.

Civil service glass ceiling is definitely lower than a bank and most people won't make it to superscale even when they retire, but honestly unless you are really good at sales or in the IB side, I don't think there are many 'bankers' that are making 123k after working 12 years.

typical frog in the well mentality. most bankers can reach 123k total package easily in 2-3 years.

Unregistered 08-11-2015 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74808)
typical frog in the well mentality. most bankers can reach 123k total package easily in 2-3 years.

U take a average performer in banking see how much he earns?

Unregistered 08-11-2015 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74810)
U take a average performer in banking see how much he earns?

AVP in banking ~200k all in & most bankers can reach this level in a few years.

Unregistered 09-11-2015 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74789)
This is very good salary. All the more so when this is supposed to be the progression of an average performer. May I know how old you are this year?

I'm 39 this year. I guess the only sad thing is that since I already hit the ceiling, I won't have any more increments unless they change the scheme or I aim to be in a leadership position. I can't complain too much since my working hours are relatively decent.

Although the pay you get is the same if you teach in primary, secondary or junior college, the working hours and what you will do is quite different. This is just my opinion. In primary school, work is sometimes more tedious and if you teach lower primary, it includes even cleaning up at times. In a Junior College, I guess its more intellectually challenging since the students are older and the subjects are more advanced. Technically teaching secondary school is the "worst" as the hours and workload are the heaviest (although this might still depend on the school) but many students are usually most grateful to their secondary school teacher. From what I know, most teachers burn out teaching in a secondary school but I guess it also depends on the individual.

Unregistered 09-11-2015 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 74857)
I'm 39 this year. I guess the only sad thing is that since I already hit the ceiling, I won't have any more increments unless they change the scheme or I aim to be in a leadership position. I can't complain too much since my working hours are relatively decent.

Although the pay you get is the same if you teach in primary, secondary or junior college, the working hours and what you will do is quite different. This is just my opinion. In primary school, work is sometimes more tedious and if you teach lower primary, it includes even cleaning up at times. In a Junior College, I guess its more intellectually challenging since the students are older and the subjects are more advanced. Technically teaching secondary school is the "worst" as the hours and workload are the heaviest (although this might still depend on the school) but many students are usually most grateful to their secondary school teacher. From what I know, most teachers burn out teaching in a secondary school but I guess it also depends on the individual.

tats the prob with gov sector, as long as ur not a scholar, they max out ur pay at a miserly rate by 40 yo.