Career as Teacher - Page 476 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Career as Teacher

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #4751 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 07:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt out teacher View Post
Hi everyone, needed to rant and kinda at the lowest point of my career now. I'm aged 33 this year and has been teaching for 9 years now and I'm still stuck at GEO 3 with a performance grade of almost C every year. The most recent PB I only got a quantum of 1.1 for C grade, it's really demoralizing. I think I am almost hitting the GEO 3 cap for my $5.4k monthly salary...

I really can't see any growth and feel very stagnant. I felt as if the school has already "marked" me and not really providing me any opportunities. I've been a subject coordinator for about 4 years or so but it's still not enough for the school. My school has a huge number of teachers of more than 100 and it's really hard to "stand out" and it involves a lot of politics which I am unwilling to be a part of.

I am considering leaving the service but am afraid that if things turn out not so well after that, I am unable to return to a safety net. But I am also suffering under the leadership and politics of my school that I feel depressed and drag myself to work everyday.

I have 2 young kids aged 9 and 6 so still require high levels of commitment from me to provide a stable income. I can't just quit without a plan... But Dec 2023 I'll get my 10 year Connect Plan so I probably should try to tahan and wait till then....? Sigh.

Anybody has any kind advice for me? Considering a few options:

1) Change to flexi-adjunct + private tuition to supplement?
2) full private tuition like 1-1 or enrichment centres?
3) Try a totally new industry like property agent?

Thank you in advance...
Leave service only if you have lost the love of teaching. Not worth it to quit for reasons like KP, SL. As others have suggested, can consider transfer to another school. Grasss may not ultimately be greener but at least you have tried changing the environment.

Not sure if you are doing private tuition or tutoring or enrichment currently. But pace yourself if you are considering leaving service.

Not that easy to return to be a flexi.

Reply With Quote
  #4752 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 07:44 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt out teacher View Post
Hi everyone, needed to rant and kinda at the lowest point of my career now. I'm aged 33 this year and has been teaching for 9 years now and I'm still stuck at GEO 3 with a performance grade of almost C every year. The most recent PB I only got a quantum of 1.1 for C grade, it's really demoralizing. I think I am almost hitting the GEO 3 cap for my $5.4k monthly salary...

I really can't see any growth and feel very stagnant. I felt as if the school has already "marked" me and not really providing me any opportunities. I've been a subject coordinator for about 4 years or so but it's still not enough for the school. My school has a huge number of teachers of more than 100 and it's really hard to "stand out" and it involves a lot of politics which I am unwilling to be a part of.

I am considering leaving the service but am afraid that if things turn out not so well after that, I am unable to return to a safety net. But I am also suffering under the leadership and politics of my school that I feel depressed and drag myself to work everyday.

I have 2 young kids aged 9 and 6 so still require high levels of commitment from me to provide a stable income. I can't just quit without a plan... But Dec 2023 I'll get my 10 year Connect Plan so I probably should try to tahan and wait till then....? Sigh.

Anybody has any kind advice for me? Considering a few options:

1) Change to flexi-adjunct + private tuition to supplement?
2) full private tuition like 1-1 or enrichment centres?
3) Try a totally new industry like property agent?

Thank you in advance...
I'm much older than you... am 39 (female) GEO 4 and drawing 200 less than you. Funny right? your grade lower than mine and I am paid less than you. I should feel more pathetic than you. Been in service since 2008, non-degree holder initially but went to do an upgrade to degree program hence the slower progression in salary...

If you are really unhappy, think of alternatives like open posting. I did it last year and the change of environment was a breath of fresh air for me. I would say, don't quit yet. Try for Open posting in june/july and perhaps think of quitting after your 10th year connect plan (it's quite a nice amount). Jia you~ i'm holding on to 2023 for my 15th year connect plan. Wishing you happiness!

Reply With Quote
  #4753 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 07:54 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Hi there, I have finished my practicum in March 2020. Can I check if Connect Plan will be given on Dec 2023 or Dec 2024? Thank you!

Reply With Quote
  #4754 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 08:40 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
QUOTE=Unregistered;209831]After all the deductions, you only get 8k+ for the first payout. If you ask me if itís worth it to wait 1 year for ard 9k, I will say no. You can gain more experience out there in that 1 year.
Can you explain why its 9k? Even after 20% cpf deduction (which is still your money anyway), take home should be around 12k right? What other deductions are there? Those who have taken 4th year CONNECT plan before (which I'm sure is most seniors here), can advise how much you got?

Also, how long is the notice period usually? Let's say if I plan to quit 31 March after PB, when should i throw letter? and who to throw to? P or HQ?[/QUOTE]

Because you donít get to take out 100% of the $15k. You are supposed to keep some amount in the plan.
Reply With Quote
  #4755 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 08:41 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Can you explain why its 9k? Even after 20% cpf deduction (which is still your money anyway), take home should be around 12k right? What other deductions are there? Those who have taken 4th year CONNECT plan before (which I'm sure is most seniors here), can advise how much you got?

Also, how long is the notice period usually? Let's say if I plan to quit 31 March after PB, when should i throw letter? and who to throw to? P or HQ?
Because you donít get to take out 100% of the $15k. You are supposed to keep some amount in the plan.[/QUOTE]

The first payout is slightly less than 10k
Reply With Quote
  #4756 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 09:13 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Ranking in HQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How is ranking done at HQ? Is it rank within branch or by division?
It is first done within unit, followed by branch den across divisions. However, you will only be ranked among HQ officers, not with school.
Reply With Quote

  #4757 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 09:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt out teacher View Post
Hi everyone, needed to rant and kinda at the lowest point of my career now. I'm aged 33 this year and has been teaching for 9 years now and I'm still stuck at GEO 3 with a performance grade of almost C every year. The most recent PB I only got a quantum of 1.1 for C grade, it's really demoralizing. I think I am almost hitting the GEO 3 cap for my $5.4k monthly salary...

I really can't see any growth and feel very stagnant. I felt as if the school has already "marked" me and not really providing me any opportunities. I've been a subject coordinator for about 4 years or so but it's still not enough for the school. My school has a huge number of teachers of more than 100 and it's really hard to "stand out" and it involves a lot of politics which I am unwilling to be a part of.

I am considering leaving the service but am afraid that if things turn out not so well after that, I am unable to return to a safety net. But I am also suffering under the leadership and politics of my school that I feel depressed and drag myself to work everyday.

I have 2 young kids aged 9 and 6 so still require high levels of commitment from me to provide a stable income. I can't just quit without a plan... But Dec 2023 I'll get my 10 year Connect Plan so I probably should try to tahan and wait till then....? Sigh.

Anybody has any kind advice for me? Considering a few options:

1) Change to flexi-adjunct + private tuition to supplement?
2) full private tuition like 1-1 or enrichment centres?
3) Try a totally new industry like property agent?

Thank you in advance...
Are you from dip Ed, that's why the progression is slower?
Reply With Quote
  #4758 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 09:37 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Because you donít get to take out 100% of the $15k. You are supposed to keep some amount in the plan.
Suggest you refer to HR Online on the intranet. The schedule of CONNECT payouts (wef 1 Oct 2015) is clearly stated - the sum $15.2k is already taking into account that it's a partial withdrawal.

CONNECT Year 4: $15,200 (60%)
Reply With Quote
  #4759 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 09:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Connect plan payout includes both employer and employee cpf. E.g., take home being 15,400/117*80=10529
Reply With Quote
  #4760 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 10:20 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Connect plan payout includes both employer and employee cpf. E.g., take home being 15,400/117*80=10529
It does not include employer CPF.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
school teacher pay dazzlego Income and Jobs 10 30-07-2015 12:39 PM
Career advice for mid-career changer Rhin Income and Jobs 5 21-07-2010 11:21 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,766 Replies, 2,293,420 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,198 Replies, 6,840,090 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,152 Replies, 10,463,379 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,019 Replies, 5,101,337 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,901 Replies, 4,725,398 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,346 Replies, 3,461,727 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
742 Replies, 413,289 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,666 Replies, 2,386,999 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,024 Replies, 1,086,120 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,438 Replies, 12,593,963 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,489 Replies, 805,821 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,816 Replies, 1,445,077 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,767 Replies, 1,517,460 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,810 Replies, 1,577,054 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,155 Replies, 3,798,574 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,346 Replies, 1,165,167 Views
Maritime and Port Authority of... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 20,045 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
825 Replies, 388,243 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,282 Replies, 637,590 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
323 Replies, 327,574 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,503 Replies, 1,401,792 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
163 Replies, 83,037 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,057 Replies, 451,636 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
279 Replies, 393,020 Views
Any Ministry or Statboard still... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 12,547 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
34 Replies, 77,867 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
722 Replies, 553,867 Views
Private Banking Salaries ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
83 Replies, 139,064 Views
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
761 Replies, 425,321 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
415 Replies, 501,404 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:55 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2