Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 23-03-2022, 01:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
OP here. For my case, 4th year connect plan meaning 2024 dec payout? As I finished practicum March 2020. Am I right to say that?

Is first CONNECT plan payout 15.2k fixed for everyone?

Isn't it more worth it to tahan until March, since its one more term, get PB and zao after that? Since I would already have served the full year before that and assuming average performance, a C grade PB?
After all the deductions, you only get 8k+ for the first payout. If you ask me if it’s worth it to wait 1 year for ard 9k, I will say no. You can gain more experience out there in that 1 year.

Old 23-03-2022, 06:25 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
How does HR determine who gets promoted?
And how do they decide who gets appointed as School Leaders?
Throughout the forum, people kept saying HR decides, but how do they select?
On what basis?
Nobody has any idea, else it wouldn’t be a blanket statement “HR decides that”. Tbh, promotion criteria is not transparent, it depends entirely on CEP and performance and the former is also a mystery. Even if you were to get good perf grades, you might not be promoted. Going to the SLs will only get you smokescreen. The only likely reason is that your cep is not high, but they are never going to tell you that. One saving grace is that with consistent good grades, your cep might be reviewed.

Becoming an SL….don’t even bother trying to find out. If you are a prestige scholar, the path is set out for you and you will know it. For farmers, chances are slim, very slim. One way to have a breakthrough is to get OYEA/PAT. You will be noticed for sure

Old 23-03-2022, 08:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Nobody has any idea, else it wouldn’t be a blanket statement “HR decides that”. Tbh, promotion criteria is not transparent, it depends entirely on CEP and performance and the former is also a mystery. Even if you were to get good perf grades, you might not be promoted. Going to the SLs will only get you smokescreen. The only likely reason is that your cep is not high, but they are never going to tell you that. One saving grace is that with consistent good grades, your cep might be reviewed.

Becoming an SL….don’t even bother trying to find out. If you are a prestige scholar, the path is set out for you and you will know it. For farmers, chances are slim, very slim. One way to have a breakthrough is to get OYEA/PAT. You will be noticed for sure
Exactly. The specific criteria, mechanisms, formulae etc. are intentionally kept confidential from EOs. (If any EO has tried getting a posting to HSLD, even via FHQ or FLP, you'll notice they never allow EOs to work in branches that deal with EO data - you only get to work in branches that support/develop MX officers) This means that discussion of any specific EO promotion criteria is a direct breach of OSA and therefore you will never get any accurate information here.

Since your Principal is an EO as well, they are also not supposed to know any specific details. That's why you get the smokescreen.

Old 23-03-2022, 09:14 AM
Unregistered

The official details are available from HR Online on the intranet. 15.2k should be standard if you've served 4 full years (i.e. without NPL). Someone commented that it's only 8k+ after deductions (I don't remember if this figure is accurate - though deductions probably include CPF, which I still find useful, and taxes can be managed with good planning).

Ultimately, you will need to decide on your own whether you think it's beneficial to stay one more year for the CONNECT plan, or to stay three additional months for PB. e.g. If you're actively looking for a new job then, would you turn down a good opportunity (starting in Jan 2025) just because you're waiting for PB?

Not sure what a 5th year teacher typically makes now, but assuming 1.5mth is around $6k… is that really worth staying around for, if you're already thinking of leaving ~2y before then?

Quote:
OP here. For my case, 4th year connect plan meaning 2024 dec payout? As I finished practicum March 2020. Am I right to say that?

Is first CONNECT plan payout 15.2k fixed for everyone?

Isn't it more worth it to tahan until March, since its one more term, get PB and zao after that? Since I would already have served the full year before that and assuming average performance, a C grade PB?
Old 23-03-2022, 11:34 AM
Unregistered

Default returning teachers

hi any returning teachers, went to nie to get a degree here ?

wanna ask if theres a pay increment if you are geo3 before leaving to NIE to complete the degree programme ?
Old 23-03-2022, 01:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

OYEH and PAT can raise CEP ah

Old 23-03-2022, 01:35 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
OYEH and PAT can raise CEP ah
Raise/lower CEP is recommended by the ranking panel in consultation with your RO. The problem that some people face is that the panel doesn't even start a conversation or discuss much about CEP adjustment for certain officers, so they get stuck.

The solution to this is of course to be more visible, more noticeable. Being nominated, being a finalist or actually winning these awards can make you more prominent and kickstart conversations amongst the school management about your (high) potential.

in short, it raises the chances. It's not automatic though.
Old 23-03-2022, 01:47 PM
Burnt out teacher

Default Feeling burntout

Hi everyone, needed to rant and kinda at the lowest point of my career now. I'm aged 33 this year and has been teaching for 9 years now and I'm still stuck at GEO 3 with a performance grade of almost C every year. The most recent PB I only got a quantum of 1.1 for C grade, it's really demoralizing. I think I am almost hitting the GEO 3 cap for my $5.4k monthly salary...

I really can't see any growth and feel very stagnant. I felt as if the school has already "marked" me and not really providing me any opportunities. I've been a subject coordinator for about 4 years or so but it's still not enough for the school. My school has a huge number of teachers of more than 100 and it's really hard to "stand out" and it involves a lot of politics which I am unwilling to be a part of.

I am considering leaving the service but am afraid that if things turn out not so well after that, I am unable to return to a safety net. But I am also suffering under the leadership and politics of my school that I feel depressed and drag myself to work everyday.

I have 2 young kids aged 9 and 6 so still require high levels of commitment from me to provide a stable income. I can't just quit without a plan... But Dec 2023 I'll get my 10 year Connect Plan so I probably should try to tahan and wait till then....? Sigh.

Anybody has any kind advice for me? Considering a few options:

1) Change to flexi-adjunct + private tuition to supplement?
2) full private tuition like 1-1 or enrichment centres?
3) Try a totally new industry like property agent?

Thank you in advance...
Old 23-03-2022, 02:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt out teacher View Post
Hi everyone, needed to rant and kinda at the lowest point of my career now. I'm aged 33 this year and has been teaching for 9 years now and I'm still stuck at GEO 3 with a performance grade of almost C every year. The most recent PB I only got a quantum of 1.1 for C grade, it's really demoralizing. I think I am almost hitting the GEO 3 cap for my $5.4k monthly salary...

I really can't see any growth and feel very stagnant. I felt as if the school has already "marked" me and not really providing me any opportunities. I've been a subject coordinator for about 4 years or so but it's still not enough for the school. My school has a huge number of teachers of more than 100 and it's really hard to "stand out" and it involves a lot of politics which I am unwilling to be a part of.

I am considering leaving the service but am afraid that if things turn out not so well after that, I am unable to return to a safety net. But I am also suffering under the leadership and politics of my school that I feel depressed and drag myself to work everyday.

I have 2 young kids aged 9 and 6 so still require high levels of commitment from me to provide a stable income. I can't just quit without a plan... But Dec 2023 I'll get my 10 year Connect Plan so I probably should try to tahan and wait till then....? Sigh.

Thank you in advance...
I don't know about 1 and 2 but

don't try 3 lmfao if you can't play politics, no way you can make it as property agent. its literally all politics, suck up and CSB gods.
Old 23-03-2022, 02:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt out teacher View Post

Thank you in advance...
Open posting, closed posting???

Don't so fast quit until you at least jump school once or twice la. Your school seems like a crappy place to work but not all schools are crappy.

Chin up, there is real green grass in other parts of the service.