Career as Teacher - Page 474 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Career as Teacher

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #4731 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 01:02 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
OP here. For my case, 4th year connect plan meaning 2024 dec payout? As I finished practicum March 2020. Am I right to say that?

Is first CONNECT plan payout 15.2k fixed for everyone?

Isn't it more worth it to tahan until March, since its one more term, get PB and zao after that? Since I would already have served the full year before that and assuming average performance, a C grade PB?
After all the deductions, you only get 8k+ for the first payout. If you ask me if it’s worth it to wait 1 year for ard 9k, I will say no. You can gain more experience out there in that 1 year.

Reply With Quote
  #4732 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 06:25 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How does HR determine who gets promoted?
And how do they decide who gets appointed as School Leaders?
Throughout the forum, people kept saying HR decides, but how do they select?
On what basis?
Nobody has any idea, else it wouldn’t be a blanket statement “HR decides that”. Tbh, promotion criteria is not transparent, it depends entirely on CEP and performance and the former is also a mystery. Even if you were to get good perf grades, you might not be promoted. Going to the SLs will only get you smokescreen. The only likely reason is that your cep is not high, but they are never going to tell you that. One saving grace is that with consistent good grades, your cep might be reviewed.

Becoming an SL….don’t even bother trying to find out. If you are a prestige scholar, the path is set out for you and you will know it. For farmers, chances are slim, very slim. One way to have a breakthrough is to get OYEA/PAT. You will be noticed for sure

Reply With Quote
  #4733 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 08:18 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nobody has any idea, else it wouldn’t be a blanket statement “HR decides that”. Tbh, promotion criteria is not transparent, it depends entirely on CEP and performance and the former is also a mystery. Even if you were to get good perf grades, you might not be promoted. Going to the SLs will only get you smokescreen. The only likely reason is that your cep is not high, but they are never going to tell you that. One saving grace is that with consistent good grades, your cep might be reviewed.

Becoming an SL….don’t even bother trying to find out. If you are a prestige scholar, the path is set out for you and you will know it. For farmers, chances are slim, very slim. One way to have a breakthrough is to get OYEA/PAT. You will be noticed for sure
Exactly. The specific criteria, mechanisms, formulae etc. are intentionally kept confidential from EOs. (If any EO has tried getting a posting to HSLD, even via FHQ or FLP, you'll notice they never allow EOs to work in branches that deal with EO data - you only get to work in branches that support/develop MX officers) This means that discussion of any specific EO promotion criteria is a direct breach of OSA and therefore you will never get any accurate information here.

Since your Principal is an EO as well, they are also not supposed to know any specific details. That's why you get the smokescreen.

Reply With Quote
  #4734 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 09:14 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The official details are available from HR Online on the intranet. 15.2k should be standard if you've served 4 full years (i.e. without NPL). Someone commented that it's only 8k+ after deductions (I don't remember if this figure is accurate - though deductions probably include CPF, which I still find useful, and taxes can be managed with good planning).

Ultimately, you will need to decide on your own whether you think it's beneficial to stay one more year for the CONNECT plan, or to stay three additional months for PB. e.g. If you're actively looking for a new job then, would you turn down a good opportunity (starting in Jan 2025) just because you're waiting for PB?

Not sure what a 5th year teacher typically makes now, but assuming 1.5mth is around $6k… is that really worth staying around for, if you're already thinking of leaving ~2y before then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
OP here. For my case, 4th year connect plan meaning 2024 dec payout? As I finished practicum March 2020. Am I right to say that?

Is first CONNECT plan payout 15.2k fixed for everyone?

Isn't it more worth it to tahan until March, since its one more term, get PB and zao after that? Since I would already have served the full year before that and assuming average performance, a C grade PB?
Reply With Quote
  #4735 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 11:34 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default returning teachers

hi any returning teachers, went to nie to get a degree here ?

wanna ask if theres a pay increment if you are geo3 before leaving to NIE to complete the degree programme ?
Reply With Quote
  #4736 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 01:21 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nobody has any idea, else it wouldn’t be a blanket statement “HR decides that”. Tbh, promotion criteria is not transparent, it depends entirely on CEP and performance and the former is also a mystery. Even if you were to get good perf grades, you might not be promoted. Going to the SLs will only get you smokescreen. The only likely reason is that your cep is not high, but they are never going to tell you that. One saving grace is that with consistent good grades, your cep might be reviewed.

Becoming an SL….don’t even bother trying to find out. If you are a prestige scholar, the path is set out for you and you will know it. For farmers, chances are slim, very slim. One way to have a breakthrough is to get OYEA/PAT. You will be noticed for sure
OYEH and PAT can raise CEP ah
Reply With Quote

  #4737 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 01:35 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
OYEH and PAT can raise CEP ah
Raise/lower CEP is recommended by the ranking panel in consultation with your RO. The problem that some people face is that the panel doesn't even start a conversation or discuss much about CEP adjustment for certain officers, so they get stuck.

The solution to this is of course to be more visible, more noticeable. Being nominated, being a finalist or actually winning these awards can make you more prominent and kickstart conversations amongst the school management about your (high) potential.

in short, it raises the chances. It's not automatic though.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #4738 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 01:47 PM
Burnt out teacher
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Feeling burntout

Hi everyone, needed to rant and kinda at the lowest point of my career now. I'm aged 33 this year and has been teaching for 9 years now and I'm still stuck at GEO 3 with a performance grade of almost C every year. The most recent PB I only got a quantum of 1.1 for C grade, it's really demoralizing. I think I am almost hitting the GEO 3 cap for my $5.4k monthly salary...

I really can't see any growth and feel very stagnant. I felt as if the school has already "marked" me and not really providing me any opportunities. I've been a subject coordinator for about 4 years or so but it's still not enough for the school. My school has a huge number of teachers of more than 100 and it's really hard to "stand out" and it involves a lot of politics which I am unwilling to be a part of.

I am considering leaving the service but am afraid that if things turn out not so well after that, I am unable to return to a safety net. But I am also suffering under the leadership and politics of my school that I feel depressed and drag myself to work everyday.

I have 2 young kids aged 9 and 6 so still require high levels of commitment from me to provide a stable income. I can't just quit without a plan... But Dec 2023 I'll get my 10 year Connect Plan so I probably should try to tahan and wait till then....? Sigh.

Anybody has any kind advice for me? Considering a few options:

1) Change to flexi-adjunct + private tuition to supplement?
2) full private tuition like 1-1 or enrichment centres?
3) Try a totally new industry like property agent?

Thank you in advance...
Reply With Quote
  #4739 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 02:14 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt out teacher View Post
Hi everyone, needed to rant and kinda at the lowest point of my career now. I'm aged 33 this year and has been teaching for 9 years now and I'm still stuck at GEO 3 with a performance grade of almost C every year. The most recent PB I only got a quantum of 1.1 for C grade, it's really demoralizing. I think I am almost hitting the GEO 3 cap for my $5.4k monthly salary...

I really can't see any growth and feel very stagnant. I felt as if the school has already "marked" me and not really providing me any opportunities. I've been a subject coordinator for about 4 years or so but it's still not enough for the school. My school has a huge number of teachers of more than 100 and it's really hard to "stand out" and it involves a lot of politics which I am unwilling to be a part of.

I am considering leaving the service but am afraid that if things turn out not so well after that, I am unable to return to a safety net. But I am also suffering under the leadership and politics of my school that I feel depressed and drag myself to work everyday.

I have 2 young kids aged 9 and 6 so still require high levels of commitment from me to provide a stable income. I can't just quit without a plan... But Dec 2023 I'll get my 10 year Connect Plan so I probably should try to tahan and wait till then....? Sigh.

Anybody has any kind advice for me? Considering a few options:

1) Change to flexi-adjunct + private tuition to supplement?
2) full private tuition like 1-1 or enrichment centres?
3) Try a totally new industry like property agent?

Thank you in advance...
I don't know about 1 and 2 but

don't try 3 lmfao if you can't play politics, no way you can make it as property agent. its literally all politics, suck up and CSB gods.
Reply With Quote
  #4740 (permalink)  
Old 23-03-2022, 02:25 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt out teacher View Post
Hi everyone, needed to rant and kinda at the lowest point of my career now. I'm aged 33 this year and has been teaching for 9 years now and I'm still stuck at GEO 3 with a performance grade of almost C every year. The most recent PB I only got a quantum of 1.1 for C grade, it's really demoralizing. I think I am almost hitting the GEO 3 cap for my $5.4k monthly salary...

I really can't see any growth and feel very stagnant. I felt as if the school has already "marked" me and not really providing me any opportunities. I've been a subject coordinator for about 4 years or so but it's still not enough for the school. My school has a huge number of teachers of more than 100 and it's really hard to "stand out" and it involves a lot of politics which I am unwilling to be a part of.

I am considering leaving the service but am afraid that if things turn out not so well after that, I am unable to return to a safety net. But I am also suffering under the leadership and politics of my school that I feel depressed and drag myself to work everyday.

I have 2 young kids aged 9 and 6 so still require high levels of commitment from me to provide a stable income. I can't just quit without a plan... But Dec 2023 I'll get my 10 year Connect Plan so I probably should try to tahan and wait till then....? Sigh.

Anybody has any kind advice for me? Considering a few options:

1) Change to flexi-adjunct + private tuition to supplement?
2) full private tuition like 1-1 or enrichment centres?
3) Try a totally new industry like property agent?

Thank you in advance...
Open posting, closed posting???

Don't so fast quit until you at least jump school once or twice la. Your school seems like a crappy place to work but not all schools are crappy.

Chin up, there is real green grass in other parts of the service.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
school teacher pay dazzlego Income and Jobs 10 30-07-2015 12:39 PM
Career advice for mid-career changer Rhin Income and Jobs 5 21-07-2010 11:21 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,093 Replies, 5,112,174 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,160 Replies, 10,475,803 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
746 Replies, 416,002 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,829 Replies, 2,308,022 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,508 Replies, 1,403,899 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,903 Replies, 4,732,093 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,285 Replies, 639,778 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,353 Replies, 3,466,417 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
35 Replies, 78,133 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,208 Replies, 6,851,137 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,684 Replies, 2,393,802 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,825 Replies, 1,448,846 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
419 Replies, 502,530 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,161 Replies, 3,807,242 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,350 Replies, 1,167,684 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,037 Replies, 1,089,060 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,441 Replies, 12,605,646 Views
Julius Baer Graduate Program 2023 ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 16,982 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,768 Replies, 1,519,464 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,811 Replies, 1,580,264 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,489 Replies, 807,002 Views
Maritime and Port Authority of... ( 1 2 3)
20 Replies, 20,236 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
825 Replies, 390,362 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
323 Replies, 328,365 Views
DBS ACE Programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
163 Replies, 83,279 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,057 Replies, 452,608 Views
ITE (lecturer) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
279 Replies, 393,646 Views
Any Ministry or Statboard still... ( 1 2)
12 Replies, 12,696 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
722 Replies, 555,230 Views
Private Banking Salaries ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
83 Replies, 139,304 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2