Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 03-03-2022 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 205922)
is it that difficult?

It's not difficult but it can be unnecessarily and unfairly political. Any of the people in school involved in your practicum grading (VP Acad, SCM, CTs) has enough influence to cause you to fail, if for any reason at all they don't wish to work with you in the same school for at least 2 more years.

Within my batch (CS1 class) there were two such cases. They are doing so well in their respective schools that helped them pass their re-practicum.

Unregistered 03-03-2022 05:06 PM

May I know what are the different cep terms that were used? Not in KP so don't really understand these terms and what do they mean.

Unregistered 04-03-2022 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 206030)
May I know what are the different cep terms that were used? Not in KP so don't really understand these terms and what do they mean.

CEP is not openly discussed, so rarely you will need to use the term. Even if you are a Kp, the lingo (P6, P7, P8 etc) is only used during review of cep.

Unregistered 06-03-2022 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 206260)
CEP is not openly discussed, so rarely you will need to use the term. Even if you are a Kp, the lingo (P6, P7, P8 etc) is only used during review of cep.

So does it mean P6 is the best? Like SEO2?

I like to ask who decides the promotion? Is it P or is it HQ?
Some said P will strongly approve every teachers to get promoted but ultimately it is the decision of HQ? Or is it P who strongly recommend a few and these would be accepted by HQ and get promoted?

Tinkermaster 06-03-2022 05:56 PM

Usually, P can recommend but they will not be able to accelerate a promotion because this is controlled by MOE-HR. And there are rules a) scholar/non-scholar status b) job performance for the past x years c) CEP and d) Number of years in that job grade e)age.

Usually, a person who has a higher CEP may only need 3-4 A/Bs to move up to the next grade whereas someon who has similar grades but lower CEP will just have to wait for their turn.

Nowadays, promotion in job grade has stalled significantly so it is not suprising that a jump of each job grade may just take like 5 years or more rather than the 3 years. For higher job grades such as SEOs, it will also depends on the number of vailable positions nationally.

It is the role of the P to indicate to HQ not to promote people to failure. This is especially crucial if the officer has been in the job grade for a number of years and is not performing well. If the officer is promoted to the next job grade, then it is even tougher for him/her to perform to the expectations.

Unregistered 07-03-2022 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkermaster (Post 206574)
Usually, P can recommend but they will not be able to accelerate a promotion because this is controlled by MOE-HR. And there are rules a) scholar/non-scholar status b) job performance for the past x years c) CEP and d) Number of years in that job grade e)age.

Usually, a person who has a higher CEP may only need 3-4 A/Bs to move up to the next grade whereas someon who has similar grades but lower CEP will just have to wait for their turn.

Nowadays, promotion in job grade has stalled significantly so it is not suprising that a jump of each job grade may just take like 5 years or more rather than the 3 years. For higher job grades such as SEOs, it will also depends on the number of vailable positions nationally.

It is the role of the P to indicate to HQ not to promote people to failure. This is especially crucial if the officer has been in the job grade for a number of years and is not performing well. If the officer is promoted to the next job grade, then it is even tougher for him/her to perform to the expectations.

wow hard truths.

Unregistered 07-03-2022 10:36 PM

s://.todayonline.com/singapore/cap-teachers-working-hours-1838626

So much bull excrement.

There is a big difference between responding to a genuine need of a student after hours, and responding to a sch leader's or HOD's urgent call for work to be done after hours that is a direct result of their incompetent planning or poor foresight.

I would do the former ANYDAY, again and again and again as much as the students need me. But the latter is the one happening most of the time. We sign up as teachers to give our students the best, not to give our worthless managers their best fluffy worthless KPIs.

Unregistered 07-03-2022 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 206766)
s://.todayonline.com/singapore/cap-teachers-working-hours-1838626

So much bull excrement.

There is a big difference between responding to a genuine need of a student after hours, and responding to a sch leader's or HOD's urgent call for work to be done after hours that is a direct result of their incompetent planning or poor foresight.

I would do the former ANYDAY, again and again and again as much as the students need me. But the latter is the one happening most of the time. We sign up as teachers to give our students the best, not to give our worthless managers their best fluffy worthless KPIs.

You can choose not to do the work and to also not reply them. Take charge. If anyone penalises you for not replying after office hours, you can always complain them to their superiors.

Unregistered 08-03-2022 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 206773)
You can choose not to do the work and to also not reply them. Take charge. If anyone penalises you for not replying after office hours, you can always complain them to their superiors.

yes complain!

Unregistered 08-03-2022 08:10 PM

Fresh NIE Grad

Hello,

I just started my journey joining this fraternity since the past 3 months. I do have 5 years bond to serve and have a couple of questions hoping to hear from your sharing.

1. Will teachers be penalised or marked down if the students were not able to perform and give results? Eg. Considering I am a BT, my school is very result driven in ensuring the students get excellent grades.

2. How will we be rank as a BT? I don’t quite understand how this ranking system works or the kind of game plan. Eg. Are we going to be marked down every time we screw up. I always believe we learnt from mistakes. It’s almost impossible to be perfect especially managing the crazy teacher workload. :/

3. Please share do some tips to safeguard myself as a BT. Obviously, I’m always being arrowed within my meeting discussion sharing, FTship, dept, cca and committee. Sad reality!

I really enjoy teaching with my students so far. I hope to survive long enough to clear my bond and not burnt out or give up halfway. I try to be positive for the most part but at times I’m already feeling annoyed and tired being arrowed all the time.

Happy Upcoming March Hols Teachers! :)