Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Potential fail ST 02-03-2022 08:53 AM

Hi all, I previously mentioned that I was worried about a moderator coming in for me. I was told the day after my final NIE supervisor visited that I would be moderated for a fail and that the moderator would come in week 9.

It’s week 9 now, I have 3 more days left not knowing when the moderator could possibly show up. I suspect it will be today, the same period that my supervisor was observing the previous week.

Not sure if the moderator’s say is final, hopefully it is because I hope to prove myself(the lesson observation by the supervisor was a sh*tstorm of bad things happening at once). Wish me luck guys.

Unregistered 02-03-2022 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Potential fail ST (Post 205741)
Hi all, I previously mentioned that I was worried about a moderator coming in for me. I was told the day after my final NIE supervisor visited that I would be moderated for a fail and that the moderator would come in week 9.

It’s week 9 now, I have 3 more days left not knowing when the moderator could possibly show up. I suspect it will be today, the same period that my supervisor was observing the previous week.

Not sure if the moderator’s say is final, hopefully it is because I hope to prove myself(the lesson observation by the supervisor was a sh*tstorm of bad things happening at once). Wish me luck guys.

All the best - and if the worst happens, don't take it as the end of the world. There's still hope if you have a good attitude and are able to work on improving yourself.

Unregistered 02-03-2022 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 205644)
It's not a hard and fast rule. I got a B in the year after my promotion from GEO2-3 so it's definitely possible. But it must be justified by work done.

What kind of work would justify a newly promoted GEO3 getting B? Care to share a little on what you were doing and your portfolio in that year? Generally would assume that impact goes beyond just T&L right

Unregistered 02-03-2022 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 205799)
What kind of work would justify a newly promoted GEO3 getting B? Care to share a little on what you were doing and your portfolio in that year? Generally would assume that impact goes beyond just T&L right

I suppose it differs from school to school. In my school, where its a norm to have two committees, I was playing a leading role in both, and had been given opportunities to plan for school level events. The competition teams I headed also went on to do quite well. In other words, I was probably contributing more than colleagues with the same subgrade.

Unregistered 02-03-2022 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 205799)

Led the organizing team for combined UG camp as well as assisted DM with organising overseas trip for at-risk students as part of student development committee. Generally should be in more than one committee and also take initiative to conduct large scale activities beyond just your subject class. That’s on top of showing that your repertoire for T&L has expanded.

Just moderated 02-03-2022 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 205776)
All the best - and if the worst happens, don't take it as the end of the world. There's still hope if you have a good attitude and are able to work on improving yourself.

Thank you! Just finished the meeting with the moderator. The lesson wasn’t perfect but I hope it means I won’t end up having to do a repracticum.

Unregistered 02-03-2022 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just moderated (Post 205827)
Thank you! Just finished the meeting with the moderator. The lesson wasn’t perfect but I hope it means I won’t end up having to do a repracticum.

I have a colleague who did a repracticum in my school. Turns out it was just incompatibility with the mentor. He's doing really well now, even conducting teacher led workshops at national level. Even if thr worst were to happen, chin up and keep working to improve.

Unregistered 02-03-2022 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just moderated (Post 205827)

Not sure if too late now, but you can consider taking a long term mc and leave this practicum if you think you are bound to fail. Next practicum will be considered as “first” and you won’t face penalty of paying for nie fees when doing repracticum. If the school is bent on failing you, it will be a difficult year for you even if you scrape through this time. Remember that there is still the one year probation, and people do fail that as well

Unregistered 03-03-2022 12:46 AM

is it that difficult?

Unregistered 03-03-2022 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 205840)
I have a colleague who did a repracticum in my school. Turns out it was just incompatibility with the mentor. He's doing really well now, even conducting teacher led workshops at national level. Even if thr worst were to happen, chin up and keep working to improve.

That’s good to hear. Both of my CTs were very ‘involved’ at the start but suddenly stopped giving much feedback around week 6. I can’t say that their feedback was very constructive for my development. As I struggled to fix the mistakes they pointed out, new areas for improvements always popped up in the APT forms.

At this point reprecticum doesn’t sound that bad at all. I fear they might fail me during the probation as another poster pointed out. Thank you for all the encouragement and feedback.