Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 28-02-2022 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 205070)
Would it possible for beginning teachers (aka GEO2) to have their CEP raised to P6? Or typically need to be at least GEO 3/4 to have that kind of CEP? Have seen some promising indicators with RO, VP and other KPs on different occasions saying the school sees potential in me. RO also has been asking me about my ambitions. Not a high tier psc / ems scholar. Any advice would be good, but I will also just continue to do my best with my current portfolio as a BT.

Unlikely. Anyway no point losing sleep or losing hair over this. We are at the mercy of HR policy; currently the policy direction seems to be trimming excess and balancing the top-heaviness. If this is in fact the case (I can't say for sure, since I have no insider knowledge), younger teachers will just have to eat the short end of the stick and endure the slow grind until the policy direction shifts again.

Unregistered 28-02-2022 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 205070)
Would it possible for beginning teachers (aka GEO2) to have their CEP raised to P6? Or typically need to be at least GEO 3/4 to have that kind of CEP? Have seen some promising indicators with RO, VP and other KPs on different occasions saying the school sees potential in me. RO also has been asking me about my ambitions. Not a high tier psc / ems scholar. Any advice would be good, but I will also just continue to do my best with my current portfolio as a BT.

If you are not a prestige scholar then you will need to be realistic. Wanting to have cep raised to P6 is building castle in the air. You might not even be a P7. Potential in you or anyone else who just entered the school should not be uncommon, ultimately you guys are young and full of drive. It will be worrying if your RO deems you as one without potential to take on any greater role 1-2 years into the teaching.

Even for geo 3-4, P6 is not common, unless you have been formally appointed.

Focus on your T&L. Take on additional roles to show your drive (being in staff welfare committee etc), but manage your workload so that you don’t get exhausted. It helps to have good pr skills

Unregistered 01-03-2022 07:41 AM

March

Here comes March, the anticipation of March Hols, PB and the possible promotions. Jia you comrads.

Unregistered 01-03-2022 07:05 PM

As for promotion, is it impossible to get promoted for two consecutive years for a teacher who is 3 to 4 years into teaching? As for PB, I heard that for the year after promotion, the standard grade is a C, is that right?

Unregistered 01-03-2022 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 205635)
As for promotion, is it impossible to get promoted for two consecutive years for a teacher who is 3 to 4 years into teaching? As for PB, I heard that for the year after promotion, the standard grade is a C, is that right?

the year after promotion, unless you ate doing something way above what u were doing, its hard to justify a superb grade

guven that the grade is contextual to your current new post

Unregistered 01-03-2022 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 205640)
the year after promotion, unless you ate doing something way above what u were doing, its hard to justify a superb grade

guven that the grade is contextual to your current new post

It's not a hard and fast rule. I got a B in the year after my promotion from GEO2-3 so it's definitely possible. But it must be justified by work done.

Unregistered 01-03-2022 09:06 PM

Quote:

Happened before, I knew of a colleague who was promoted from GEO 3 - 4 - 5 in 2 years straight. But that was before the pay revision days..

Unregistered 01-03-2022 09:06 PM

On another note, anyone who caught wind of their promotion, do share here so we know the news is in, please!

Unregistered 01-03-2022 09:24 PM

Quote:

It wasn't uncommon for above average teachers to go from 1A1 to 1A2 then 1A3 in the span of two promotion cycles back then.

Ever since they rolled out the 2015 payscales, this doesn't really happen much anymore. At least 2 to 3 years between promotions.

There is no standard grade. If in the year of promotion you are still performing consistently above expectations of your new subgrade, you can still get C+ (fairly common) or even B.

Unregistered 01-03-2022 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 205671)
There is no standard grade. If in the year of promotion you are still performing consistently above expectations of your new subgrade, you can still get C+ (fairly common) or even B.

This is true, but I've also heard of schools/clusters where the leaders lean towards awarding default C in promotion year.