Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 29-01-2022 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 199498)
Thank you to those who shared your insights regarding the AYH / YH post. I’m currently preparing to take on such an appointment and your inputs are valuable.

Good luck to you, looking at students' profiles nowadays.

Unregistered 29-01-2022 07:27 PM

Sad to see teachers here talking about promotions and positions blah blah blah. In reality, there are already shortage of teachers and no one wanna join the teaching positions. Some schools are employing as many as 15 FAJTs or even more due to this shortage. If this goes on, I don't know what's the reality of the education landscape in Singapore. I also have seen many good teachers just drop the towel and leave the service.

Unregistered 29-01-2022 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 200299)
Sad to see teachers here talking about promotions and positions blah blah blah. In reality, there are already shortage of teachers and no one wanna join the teaching positions. Some schools are employing as many as 15 FAJTs or even more due to this shortage. If this goes on, I don't know what's the reality of the education landscape in Singapore. I also have seen many good teachers just drop the towel and leave the service.

If that was true, MOE would have raised teacher's pay, they have not done that since 2015.

Unregistered 29-01-2022 08:50 PM

Quote:

i doubt there's shortage of teachers.

Unregistered 30-01-2022 09:51 AM

Quote:

Based on MOE's own definition...There is no shortage of teachers.

But for those fighting the battles on the ground...They see a whole different picture lol.

But you are also right. Many good and promising young teachers are leaving and I support their decision. There is no point in slogging and grinding so much for a system which does not take care of a teacher's health. And look at the emotional weight and expectations from the current profile of students and parents. Not forgetting some very selfish colleagues or KPs too. For those who leave, they will definitely find a better working life out there :)

Passion can only go this far. Think more about your own health and happiness instead :)

Unregistered 30-01-2022 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 200372)
Based on MOE's own definition...There is no shortage of teachers.

But for those fighting the battles on the ground...They see a whole different picture lol.

But you are also right. Many good and promising young teachers are leaving and I support their decision. There is no point in slogging and grinding so much for a system which does not take care of a teacher's health. And look at the emotional weight and expectations from the current profile of students and parents. Not forgetting some very selfish colleagues or KPs too. For those who leave, they will definitely find a better working life out there :)

Passion can only go this far. Think more about your own health and happiness instead :)

Yep. Schools are merging, there cannot be a shortage of teachers, more like excess teachers.

N it’s not just about raising salary across the board too.

Raising salary will only attract ppl who are in it for the money, not good teachers with passion

They should think of how to make the system more fair, as well as how to better support teachers in terms of admin work, giving teachers proper guidance n equal opportunities. Make every teacher feel appreciated n feel that the system is fair

Unregistered 30-01-2022 11:50 AM

It depends on which school you are in.

In one school in Sengkang, those teaching Chinese, they have only about 20 students on average in each classroom. For other teachers taking other subjects, it’s always full class.

So it depends on how the P wants it. No such thing as not enough teachers. Rather, it’s the school which sets itself up for failure.

Unregistered 30-01-2022 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 200395)
It depends on which school you are in.

In one school in Sengkang, those teaching Chinese, they have only about 20 students on average in each classroom. For other teachers taking other subjects, it’s always full class.

So it depends on how the P wants it. No such thing as not enough teachers. Rather, it’s the school which sets itself up for failure.

there's no such thing as not enough teachers la. Sec schs are merging, most of them move to hq or pri schools, how is it not enough?

And its not about raising salaries etc. If they keep increasing salary, those who are burnt out/ discouraged will still resign n worse still, it will just attract the wrong pple to join teaching with the wrong mindset.

Rather, they should dive in deeper to find out what are the challenges teachers are facing, give teachers equal opportunities, try to develop each officer so that all of them have a path, reduce mindless admin work, try to be fair in the system, for e.g pe art music teachers are really having easy time compared to acad subject teachers, is there a way to balance it out? n the list goes on.....

Unregistered 30-01-2022 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 200143)
in other words, I don’t know.

So observe. The answers that you will get on this forum are no better than speculation based on anecdote, i.e., no better than what you can see with your own eyes and the sharing that you may get from your older colleagues.

Unregistered 30-01-2022 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 200481)
So observe. The answers that you will get on this forum are no better than speculation based on anecdote, i.e., no better than what you can see with your own eyes and the sharing that you may get from your older colleagues.

ribbish. ppl here at the best in their field