Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 21-01-2022 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 198634)
Thank you for sharing your experience. I can totally resonate with your sharing.

I would consider myself to be doing well, Perf grades of As and Bs, appointed HOD early 30s, but the fact that I am not a scholar halted all progress possible. When I spoke about my aspiration with the SLs, they seemed clueless about how they could support me in my development. This is where I felt let down by the system and them, as farmers generally do not reap what they showed, unless one is contented with good perf grades and stagnant progression.

At the age of 40, I have no answers or anyone telling me that I am no longer in the rat race for VP-ship, or should I say that I was never in the race. It is this mentality and the need to portray themselves as the kind and supportive leaders that makes things unclear. I would rather be told upfront that I should not harbour naive thoughts than to slog day and night only to realised that I have thrown my youth away. Many would argue that one join the profession to teach, and the passion should keep him/her going. That is if you are not ambitious, and you feel enough being a good teacher.

With the HODs not going up, I feel sad for newer teachers who work hard and aspire to make advancements in the career. How many jaded HoDs will be willing to forgo the appointment/seo rank and step down from their position?

I agree with you totally. It's really a huge bottleneck. And I highly doubt HR is regulating the situation well at all. It's really not making the education service very 'attractive' in terms of growing young officers and allowing them to have progression in their career.

And I don't believe every scholar is that 'fantastic'. I've seen some really shitty ones who can't do their roles well but are just there because of the scholar status.

Unregistered 21-01-2022 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 198634)
Thank you for sharing your experience. I can totally resonate with your sharing.

I would consider myself to be doing well, Perf grades of As and Bs, appointed HOD early 30s, but the fact that I am not a scholar halted all progress possible. When I spoke about my aspiration with the SLs, they seemed clueless about how they could support me in my development. This is where I felt let down by the system and them, as farmers generally do not reap what they showed, unless one is contented with good perf grades and stagnant progression.

At the age of 40, I have no answers or anyone telling me that I am no longer in the rat race for VP-ship, or should I say that I was never in the race. It is this mentality and the need to portray themselves as the kind and supportive leaders that makes things unclear. I would rather be told upfront that I should not harbour naive thoughts than to slog day and night only to realised that I have thrown my youth away. Many would argue that one join the profession to teach, and the passion should keep him/her going. That is if you are not ambitious, and you feel enough being a good teacher.

With the HODs not going up, I feel sad for newer teachers who work hard and aspire to make advancements in the career. How many jaded HoDs will be willing to forgo the appointment/seo rank and step down from their position?

Really agree with you. The service is so stuck, so young officers with aspirations have no leadership positions to grow into, and the same goes to HODs who are really good but nowhere to move up into and stuck until retirement.

HR seems to be only focused on scholars. Honestly, have seen some who are crappy, but at VP levels only coz they have scholar status.

Unregistered 21-01-2022 07:32 PM

Agree with what many of you have mentioned, abt the bottlenecks, abt how non scholars donít really have opportunities, and many young folks have little chances to progress and have their aspirations fulfilled.
Coupled with how HR is so Ďunfairí or unclear in practices- only grooming scholars but neglecting the very deserving HODs. Some scholar VPs Iíve seen have poor attitude, lack empathy and really lack substance, yet they are in the positions only because of their status.
What happened to meritocracy?!

Unregistered 22-01-2022 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 198752)
Agree with what many of you have mentioned, abt the bottlenecks, abt how non scholars donít really have opportunities, and many young folks have little chances to progress and have their aspirations fulfilled.
Coupled with how HR is so Ďunfairí or unclear in practices- only grooming scholars but neglecting the very deserving HODs. Some scholar VPs Iíve seen have poor attitude, lack empathy and really lack substance, yet they are in the positions only because of their status.
What happened to meritocracy?!

anecdotal experience

Unregistered 22-01-2022 10:34 AM

For seniors in ranking panel, how do you guys make a decision on whether to raise an officer's CEP? Just curious about the kind of discussions that take place when determining an officer's future

Unregistered 22-01-2022 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 198825)
For seniors in ranking panel, how do you guys make a decision on whether to raise an officer's CEP? Just curious about the kind of discussions that take place when determining an officer's future

frankly raising cep is easier if the higher up bosses and peer bosses know the candidate well and this is what usually happens. if the candidate is always working under his own boss, unlikely easy to justify cep raise as there is no one else to back the justification

Unregistered 22-01-2022 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 198825)
For seniors in ranking panel, how do you guys make a decision on whether to raise an officer's CEP? Just curious about the kind of discussions that take place when determining an officer's future

The most common reason (anecdotally) is when most or all of the panel feels that the officer in question has been able to handle a significant stretch in their jobscope.. stretches into the area(s) that are relevant to their desired career track, while still maintaining standards in their bread and butter work (T&L and Student Devt).

Granted it is quite subjective, and it's quite dependent on whether the work is visible enough to everyone on the panel. Being 'strategically deployed' across different committees headed by different KPs is one way to increase visibility. But this also means.. a lot of committees lor.

Work life balance 22-01-2022 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 196415)
Getting promoted from GEO3 to 4 will come after 3-4 years if you do okay. The difficult part is moving from GEO4 to GEO5. Donít know how many years will it take.

Until today Iíve no idea why my promotion was so fast.
2008 August contract
2009 NIE
2010 GEO2 (back then it was GEO1.1 I believe)
2011 GEO3 (GEO1A1 back then)
2012 GEO4 (GEO1A2 back then)
2014 GEO5
2019 SEO1

Unregistered 22-01-2022 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Work life balance (Post 198954)
Until today Iíve no idea why my promotion was so fast.
2008 August contract
2009 NIE
2010 GEO2 (back then it was GEO1.1 I believe)
2011 GEO3 (GEO1A1 back then)
2012 GEO4 (GEO1A2 back then)
2014 GEO5
2019 SEO1

someppl get longer end of the stick some get shorter end so thats life

Unregistered 22-01-2022 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Work life balance (Post 198954)
Until today Iíve no idea why my promotion was so fast.
2008 August contract
2009 NIE
2010 GEO2 (back then it was GEO1.1 I believe)
2011 GEO3 (GEO1A1 back then)
2012 GEO4 (GEO1A2 back then)
2014 GEO5
2019 SEO1

perhaps promotion rate was faster before 2019?

nowadays, you don't see 7 promotees in the same subgrade


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:59 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2