Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 11-01-2022 05:29 AM

Been in the ranking panel and we were informed by SLs of new updates from HR on the fact that MOE has been very conservative in perf grades, promotions etc, and the ministry is the most conservative compared to other ministries in civil service.
Hence, HR claims to be revamping the appraisal system, and to use CEP lightly instead of it being the main determinant for promotion.
From my understanding, CEP will be used as a ‘talent management’ tool. But how - is a question mark.
HR is like a hidden black box where nobody understands their ‘equations’ and how they function at all.

Unregistered 11-01-2022 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 197143)
I think people do join for passion, but a job with no progression will also not be able to sustain people because we all need something else to work for along the way too.
At this rate, attrition rate for younger aspiring teachers will rise and there will be lack of injection of fresh blood and ideas into the teaching service.
There needs a be a good mix of both new and experienced teachers too.

Exactly. If people work extra hard and are not promoted or recognized, they will definitely think twice about whether teaching is the right place for them. MOE should stop hiding behind passion as an excuse and do right by its teachers.

Unregistered 11-01-2022 09:49 AM

Agreed. It’s really time to renew and revamp the system.
And it’s also silly to rank HODs at cluster level too.

How to compare between different schools like this?
Every school context is different and every HOD’s work will be distinctly different too.
How to ensure appraisal is fair?

Unregistered 11-01-2022 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 197152)
Agreed. It’s really time to renew and revamp the system.
And it’s also silly to rank HODs at cluster level too.

How to compare between different schools like this?
Every school context is different and every HOD’s work will be distinctly different too.
How to ensure appraisal is fair?

No way to ensure it is fair. Even if rank only within school, every HOD's work is different, so there can always be possible questions about fairness with no clear-cut answers.

That is the inherent nature of trying to rank diverse things on the same scale.

Unregistered 11-01-2022 09:00 PM

There basically are 4 types of non scholars.

Type 1: know their worth. Their RO dont give them credit. So they leave quite early in career to become tuition teacher or start their agency

Type 2a: very capable, meet good bosses and good opportunities and become p at relatively young age

Type 2b: very capable, but bosses not so good, and credit always being taken by other ppl. So feel sad in the system. These ppl will leave, but no chocie

Type 3: capable in teaching but no ambition. Happy to stay as a geo

Type 4: not capable. But happy to have a job. Will try to siam arrow

Because our promotion opportunities are limited, we tend to lose type 1 and type 2b
But as long as we always have fresh nie intake, these ppl can be replaced
We can keep type 2a, 3 and 4.

Unregistered 12-01-2022 02:23 PM

Some young chap in my school got appointed HOD internal with GEO3 grade. Is that person a scholar? Who make decisions on internal appointment?

Unregistered 12-01-2022 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 197286)
Some young chap in my school got appointed HOD internal with GEO3 grade. Is that person a scholar? Who make decisions on internal appointment?

Your P decides of course. As for whether he’s a scholar, ask him or google him online.

Unregistered 12-01-2022 05:36 PM

Quote:

Nowadays geo3 to geo4 is %@&$ing slow for most people, maybe except high tier scholars. To keep high potential young officers motivated and stimulated on the job despite having to wait and wait for promotion, this is what happens lor.

Also there might be a pressing need for a certain area of expertise, and this young chap happens to be able to fill the need despite still being at geo3.

Principal decides on internal appointments.

Unregistered 12-01-2022 06:30 PM

Quote:

It is both an enviable and unenviable position. Enviable because this person is probably going to be the first to be put up for interview when they hit geo4, and in the meantime is likely to beat other geo3s during ranking.

Unenviable because you are literally doing HOD work but drawing Beginning Teacher salary.

Unregistered 14-01-2022 04:28 PM

GEO 3 salary

I’m a GEO 2, can anyone share the salary of GEO 3?