Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 25-09-2015 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 72625)
I just got shortlisted for an interview to teach social studies in sec school so sucks to you debby downer ha.

Hi I also applied for history teaching for secondary school but haven't been contacted at all
.... may i ask how did your interview go? Anything you can share with me ? Did they give any info about whether they had finished shortlisting for instanc Thanks very much.

Unregistered 27-09-2015 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 71168)
darn. that's really maddening because I had lots of teachers when I was in school who graduated from unheard unis from all over the place...

Really? I was from a neighbourhood JC but most, if not all of my teachers were honours grads from local universities. Actually all were from NUS. One was from nantah.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 72625)
I just got shortlisted for an interview to teach social studies in sec school so sucks to you debby downer ha.

Wow. Social studies? Very impt subject. You have a bright and meaningful future in front of you.

Unregistered 29-09-2015 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 73118)
Really? I was from a neighbourhood JC but most, if not all of my teachers were honours grads from local universities. Actually all were from NUS. One was from nantah.

I was from a pretty good secondary school and JC. Most of my teachers in JC were scholars and such (some studied in Ivy league unis and OxBridge), but in secondary school, I had lots of teachers who were foreigners, and I distinctly remember my social studies teacher telling us he studied at a private school because he did poorly at O'levels. The difference is that my JC teachers were generally much younger than my secondary school teachers. I think many scholars teach for a few years and then take up a non-teaching position at MOE, or prepare to become principals, etc. Also, I suspect principals in autonomous and independent schools are allowed to choose their teachers and some are more elitist than others.

Wow. Social studies? Very impt subject. You have a bright and meaningful future in front of you.

It's way too soon to speak! I suspect this may be sarcastic because people on this thread are noticeably more hostile than in other career threads (perhaps its a trait more prevalent in people who want to teach).

Unregistered 29-09-2015 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 73052)
Hi I also applied for history teaching for secondary school but haven't been contacted at all
.... may i ask how did your interview go? Anything you can share with me ? Did they give any info about whether they had finished shortlisting for instanc Thanks very much.

Hi! I received my interview details today. It's still pretty early in the interview process so don't be disheartened yet.

Unregistered 29-09-2015 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 73189)
Hi! I received my interview details today. It's still pretty early in the interview process so don't be disheartened yet.

Thank you. Appreciate that. Hope you get in buddy.

For my info, can I presume you applied in the Aug-Sep window?

LUV2BTEACHER 30-09-2015 09:04 AM

Question

Did you get called earlier for the teacher sharing session?
What level and subject have you been called for?

Unregistered 02-10-2015 04:39 PM

teachers can earn more than 100k per annum after 4 years of teaching?

Unregistered 02-10-2015 09:06 PM

I work in the private sector, abt 10 yrs of experience in finance.
I grad from a local uni.
I am thinking of making a mid career switch to teaching.

1) What is the working hours like?
2) How much will the expected starting pay be, for mid career professionals?
3) My preference is to teach in primary school. Is there any pay difference between pri n sec schools?

Thanks.

Unregistered 02-10-2015 09:22 PM

What's the pay increment like after completing the PGDE course?

Unregistered 07-10-2015 03:10 PM

It will be great if we can keep each other (candidates who applied for the Sep-Oct window) on updates of the application!