Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 28-11-2021 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191782)
Happy for you.

Lets all just be grateful that we are still employed, still have our health and able to put food on the table.

yes, money makes the world go round but unfortunately, reach ceiling everyone forced to hentak kaki. btw, GEO 3 to 4 will take years unless u really perform and keep on doing bigger things.

I really salute all the senior teachers, despite everything, they continue on teaching despite all the things beyond their control.

Agreed.

At the end of the day what matters most is whether you're happy or not and you wake up everyday thinking "ok time for work!" instead of "wa CB KNN work like DOG again"


no point making 6 figs, OTING like a dog and wondering why the f you're losing hair everytime you take a shower in the morning.

Unregistered 28-11-2021 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191817)
Agreed.

At the end of the day what matters most is whether you're happy or not and you wake up everyday thinking "ok time for work!" instead of "wa CB KNN work like DOG again"


no point making 6 figs, OTING like a dog and wondering why the f you're losing hair everytime you take a shower in the morning.

haha so true.

Unregistered 28-11-2021 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191813)
By this argument, then the rest of the public service is better already :)

Teacher scheme same or slightly poorer than average CS

Unregistered 29-11-2021 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191816)
If geo3 to geo4 takes years, then we are basically getting something close to our starting salary for years (with some adjustment for inflation). Teachers deserve better.

The truth is that promotions have slowed down considerably in recent years, and anecdotally it is the geo3 to geo4 promotions that are hardest hit. In my school there are several geo3s that have been sitting on the pay ceiling for a few years already. They're not bad teachers either, but they're not super outstanding and/or wayang kings.

Unregistered 29-11-2021 11:45 AM

At least teachers still can teach tuition on the side to supplement income. The other civil servants can't do that.

Unregistered 29-11-2021 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191862)
The truth is that promotions have slowed down considerably in recent years, and anecdotally it is the geo3 to geo4 promotions that are hardest hit. In my school there are several geo3s that have been sitting on the pay ceiling for a few years already. They're not bad teachers either, but they're not super outstanding and/or wayang kings.

This especially hits those who joined around 2015 onwards.

The more experienced teachers (7-8 years or more) donít really feel this because they would have gotten their GEO 4/5 relatively more quickly. In the past, it was not uncommon to go from GEO3 (GEO1A1) to GEO 4 (GEO1A2) in a year or two. Now, it can take 4-5 years or even more, even for hardworking teachers!

Moreover, there were service wide salary increments every 4-5 years. Iím 2015, it was 4-9%. In 2012, it was 5-15%. There was something in 2008 too. The last one is in 2015 (which BTs did not get), so anyone who joined 2015 and later have not had service wide increments before.

Unregistered 29-11-2021 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191867)
At least teachers still can teach tuition on the side to supplement income. The other civil servants can't do that.

Not true anymore. Principals approval is needed - which is like saying not allowed. Civil servants also can ask for approval for side hustle or give tuition - but of course no one asks if they can moonlight.

Unregistered 29-11-2021 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191832)
Teacher scheme same or slightly poorer than average CS

In terms of overall compensation, EOs will still be better off than those at equivalent grade on MX scheme. This is the same as how specialised schemes are paid higher than MX (general) scheme. However, this does not mean that EOs are paid the same or better than other specialised schemes.

Unregistered 29-11-2021 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191876)
In terms of overall compensation, EOs will still be better off than those at equivalent grade on MX scheme. This is the same as how specialised schemes are paid higher than MX (general) scheme. However, this does not mean that EOs are paid the same or better than other specialised schemes.

Yes thatís true, BUT EOs are promoted at slower rates. So EOs would reach the equivalent MX grade later

Unregistered 29-11-2021 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 191869)
Not true anymore. Principals approval is needed - which is like saying not allowed. Civil servants also can ask for approval for side hustle or give tuition - but of course no one asks if they can moonlight.

It's the same as the old rule of not being allowed to teach more than 6 hours of tuition per week. No one really bothers enforcing these rules, but of course, one needs to be discreet as well.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 09:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2