Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 25-10-2021 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182811)
care to share what your friends did after they left teaching service? thanks

Replying to this (and also to address those who are burnt out).

I have some who went into freelance tutoring or tuition centres. Pay may have decreased but workload decreased A LOT more.

If you still prefer some stability, some of my friends hopped to other Ministries or SB. I think even after 5-7 years of teaching, you'll still be considered young enough and there's still quite a high chance to be able to hop to these places.

Of course, there are also those who went to pursue their passion by starting from scratch in the private sector, or setting up their own businesses.

Many different possibilities, but one thing I noticed was that all of them were a lot happier and healthier after that :)

Unregistered 25-10-2021 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 187932)

I have some who went into freelance tutoring or tuition centres. Pay may have decreased but workload decreased A LOT more.

If you still prefer some stability, some of my friends hopped to other Ministries or SB. I think even after 5-7 years of teaching, you'll still be considered young enough and there's still quite a high chance to be able to hop to these places.

Of course, there are also those who went to pursue their passion by starting from scratch in the private sector, or setting up their own businesses.

Many different possibilities, but one thing I noticed was that all of them were a lot happier and healthier after that :)

yup just do tuition. the only bad thing is if u r home tutor, may have to travel from places to places. but the workload confirm a lot lighter. And its easier to each 1-1. As long as there is psle, o levels, a levels, there will always be demand for tuition.

If u really dislike teaching or is burnt out, u can always make a switch, as long as u have a plan. Most ppl are scared to quit cuz this is an iron rice bowl. They are worried that if they quit, it is not so easy to find another iron rice bowl. But i agree mental health n physical health is still the most important.

i am also quitting end of the year, because i have come to the point where i dread to go to work. I want to be able to wake up feeling happy n look forward to each new day, n not just be happy during school holidays (my weekends are usually burnt marking as well).

Just don't quit and don't know what u want to do after your break. I have a plan n new found passion n i am looking forward to starting a brand new life.

Unregistered 27-10-2021 04:22 PM

Any chances of being employed as a relief if kena a C- or D before?

Unregistered 27-10-2021 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 187932)

Another option is to apply via open posting to independent schools. Workload should be a lot lighter than Govt schs.

Unregistered 28-10-2021 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188227)
Another option is to apply via open posting to independent schools. Workload should be a lot lighter than Govt schs.

Try applying to St Stephen. Its an awesome school to be in.

Unregistered 30-10-2021 10:57 AM

Anyone can share what is increment from GEO5 to SEO1?

Unregistered 31-10-2021 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188515)
Anyone can share what is increment from GEO5 to SEO1?

Think it depends on factors like where you are on the GEO5 payscale, your merit increment that year, etc. But as a rough guide, I got about +550.

Unregistered 31-10-2021 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 188599)
Think it depends on factors like where you are on the GEO5 payscale, your merit increment that year, etc. But as a rough guide, I got about +550.

Thanks for sharing! Could u share what part of GEO5 pay scale u were on and ur perf grade the previous year?

Unregistered 03-11-2021 08:39 PM

it's 2021... why does MOE (or CS in general) still consider NS as work experience and give a bonus as a starting pay?

Unregistered 03-11-2021 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 189039)
it's 2021... why does MOE (or CS in general) still consider NS as work experience and give a bonus as a starting pay?

Not sure about the official explanation, but I'm guessing that it's because even after 54 years, Singaporean males are forced to effectively give up two years of their life through mandatory conscription, chalking up opportunity cost in the form of lost income. In the long run, the salary ceilings are the same... you'll reach them soon enough, regardless of whether you'd served NS or not.

Unhappy with the situation? You can lobby for equal treatment across genders; e.g. females to serve NS too, or to be offered the chance to serve and receive the same minor perks in the civil service.