Career as Teacher - Page 401 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Career as Teacher

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #4001 (permalink)  
Old 20-09-2021, 08:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I would say move on with your HOD-ship next year. Keep to the portfolio for 3 years then apply for open posting elsewhere if you want to thereafter.
Thanks for the advice. Thinking possibly of that too.
My former RO seems to hint to me that the school is grooming me further, but I'm not sure true or not and whether it is possible with saturation everywhere.

Reply With Quote
  #4002 (permalink)  
Old 20-09-2021, 09:05 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

3 years as SH followed by a (confirmed?) HOD position is hardly poor progression. Think it's also easier to perform in the next few years (assuming you've already been doing well) without having to adapt to a new environment, new processes, new ppl, etc.

Unless you really want out for some reason (e.g. push factors, or want to explore other portfolio), I don't see any real reason to switch right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for the advice. Thinking possibly of that too.
My former RO seems to hint to me that the school is grooming me further, but I'm not sure true or not and whether it is possible with saturation everywhere.


Reply With Quote
  #4003 (permalink)  
Old 21-09-2021, 06:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Thank you folks for all the advice!
Looks like most advice is to stay on first for some time first!

Reply With Quote
  #4004 (permalink)  
Old 21-09-2021, 10:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Unhappy

Hi, just checking if there are any mid career switch to MOE teacher after like close to 10 years in industry? I am wondering what is the untrained teaching stint pay and the NIE pay like. Is there CPF and bonus as well? And also after NIE, which grade and roughly how much is the salary range? (I have a masters degree)

Also, I heard that untrained teaching stint could be a year instead of half a year like what was stated in the website. Is that common?

I really want to try teaching but Iím holding back a little because of the pay drop especially during the untrained teaching stint and also in NIE. And also a little afraid to go out of industry and if I cannot make it for teaching, I canít go back anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #4005 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2021, 01:29 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, just checking if there are any mid career switch to MOE teacher after like close to 10 years in industry? I am wondering what is the untrained teaching stint pay and the NIE pay like. Is there CPF and bonus as well? And also after NIE, which grade and roughly how much is the salary range? (I have a masters degree)

Also, I heard that untrained teaching stint could be a year instead of half a year like what was stated in the website. Is that common?

I really want to try teaching but Iím holding back a little because of the pay drop especially during the untrained teaching stint and also in NIE. And also a little afraid to go out of industry and if I cannot make it for teaching, I canít go back anymore.

doubt u can get into teaching easily given that there are too many extra teachers
Reply With Quote
  #4006 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2021, 08:58 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I applied during the June 2021 application and I am going for the language proficiency test soon. I would guess Iím quite close to it.
Reply With Quote

  #4007 (permalink)  
Old 22-09-2021, 11:07 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Try to give it a good thought. It isn't easy being a teacher nowadays. Work really never ends and a burn out is easy. Our mental well-being comes after the students'.

What is the pull factor from your current employment to take up teaching? And what is your expected salary? pay won't be a lot for mid career switchers doing the NIE stint. Doesn't matter whichever masters degree you have got because that is not taken into consideration for promotion once you are a full fledged teacher. However, first promotion to the next grade would be faster for mid career switchers. I have friends who did mid career switch from pte sector. Is drawing 5K plus after 6 years of service? If that's not okay for you, don't leave your current employment.
Reply With Quote
  #4008 (permalink)  
Old 23-09-2021, 08:35 AM
Ex Teacher
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Sincerely Seeking Advice

Started career as a full time MOE teacher. More than 10 years experience. Thought grass was greener on the other side and joined private sector for a good 5 years. Didn't quite work out and returned to teaching as a flexi adjunct role since 2016. Enjoy teaching but not as stable as full time role. Teacher manpower needs changes means I am in my 6th school as FAJT. Always remaining positive since age is close to 50 liao. No career progression and no bonus at all in my current scheme. But at least some income plus CPF. Some ask why not return to full time? Likely not since my age is against me and I don't want the disappointment of applying and getting rejected. Stay status quo and just enjoy the interaction with students and share my knowledge and experience in education with them to those who appreciate it. Reading some of your comments who are progressing well in teaching and slated to be future SLs makes me ponder what could have been if I stayed on all these years without venturing to private sector. Things might have been different
Reply With Quote
  #4009 (permalink)  
Old 23-09-2021, 10:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Try to give it a good thought. It isn't easy being a teacher nowadays. Work really never ends and a burn out is easy. Our mental well-being comes after the students'.

What is the pull factor from your current employment to take up teaching? And what is your expected salary? pay won't be a lot for mid career switchers doing the NIE stint. Doesn't matter whichever masters degree you have got because that is not taken into consideration for promotion once you are a full fledged teacher. However, first promotion to the next grade would be faster for mid career switchers. I have friends who did mid career switch from pte sector. Is drawing 5K plus after 6 years of service? If that's not okay for you, don't leave your current employment.
The pull factor is me wanting to be a teacher since I graduated almost 10 years ago? But I wanted to try other jobs first instead of going to be a teacher forever. But looking at the reviews of being a teacher really scares me. And I didnít realise the big pay drop then.

I heard that mid career teacher may start off with a pay with more than 5k? Iím looking at more than 5k after I graduate from NIE. But I didnít expect your friend to be receiving 5k only after 6 years. Probably because he/she switched into teaching much earlier? How many years of private sector experience does he/she have?
Reply With Quote
  #4010 (permalink)  
Old 23-09-2021, 10:55 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex Teacher View Post
Started career as a full time MOE teacher. More than 10 years experience. Thought grass was greener on the other side and joined private sector for a good 5 years. Didn't quite work out and returned to teaching as a flexi adjunct role since 2016. Enjoy teaching but not as stable as full time role. Teacher manpower needs changes means I am in my 6th school as FAJT. Always remaining positive since age is close to 50 liao. No career progression and no bonus at all in my current scheme. But at least some income plus CPF. Some ask why not return to full time? Likely not since my age is against me and I don't want the disappointment of applying and getting rejected. Stay status quo and just enjoy the interaction with students and share my knowledge and experience in education with them to those who appreciate it. Reading some of your comments who are progressing well in teaching and slated to be future SLs makes me ponder what could have been if I stayed on all these years without venturing to private sector. Things might have been different
Iím not a teacher, but I would say you should probably still try? Stay optimistic and just try? U still have at least 15 years to retirement which is pretty long! But of course, being a full time teacher means that you have to definitely spend much more time at work.

Just curious, why didnít the private industry suits you? I thought being a teacher works very very very long hours. And hence anything other than being a teacher would be much better than a Teacherís life.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
school teacher pay dazzlego Income and Jobs 10 30-07-2015 12:39 PM
Career advice for mid-career changer Rhin Income and Jobs 5 21-07-2010 11:21 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
GovTech Tech Associate Program... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
179 Replies, 55,665 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,871 Replies, 5,045,688 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,227 Replies, 1,532,454 Views
OCBC Graduate Talent Programme... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
932 Replies, 292,972 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,949 Replies, 7,654,318 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
714 Replies, 382,047 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,947 Replies, 1,510,933 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,408 Replies, 642,813 Views
Year end bonus for civil service ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
342 Replies, 70,976 Views
SIA AO grades ( 1 2 3)
24 Replies, 12,607 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,857 Replies, 4,479,559 Views
Compilation of MAs/Analysts Gross... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
843 Replies, 244,066 Views
NUS (National University of... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
141 Replies, 128,520 Views
Career at Keppel
4 Replies, 1,376 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
601 Replies, 476,689 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,930 Replies, 648,343 Views
Cybersecurity/Info security career ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
195 Replies, 51,033 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,054 Replies, 775,004 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
213 Replies, 81,385 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,061 Replies, 1,879,173 Views
ST Engineering Land Systems ( 1 2 3)
21 Replies, 1,933 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,314 Replies, 2,670,778 Views
Standard Chartered International... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
69 Replies, 78,182 Views
CSA (Cyber Security Agency) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
287 Replies, 117,537 Views
Htx ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 1,884 Views
NE digital
0 Replies, 60 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
545 Replies, 308,939 Views
Civil Service Bonus 2021 Year End
5 Replies, 1,296 Views
Top Primary Schools 2009
1 Replies, 4,358 Views
NTU (non-faculty) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
119 Replies, 133,299 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 06:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2