Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 20-09-2021 09:05 PM

3 years as SH followed by a (confirmed?) HOD position is hardly poor progression. Think it's also easier to perform in the next few years (assuming you've already been doing well) without having to adapt to a new environment, new processes, new ppl, etc.

Unless you really want out for some reason (e.g. push factors, or want to explore other portfolio), I don't see any real reason to switch right now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183668)
Thanks for the advice. Thinking possibly of that too.
My former RO seems to hint to me that the school is grooming me further, but I'm not sure true or not and whether it is possible with saturation everywhere.

Unregistered 21-09-2021 06:15 PM

Thank you folks for all the advice!
Looks like most advice is to stay on first for some time first!

Unregistered 21-09-2021 10:42 PM

Hi, just checking if there are any mid career switch to MOE teacher after like close to 10 years in industry? I am wondering what is the untrained teaching stint pay and the NIE pay like. Is there CPF and bonus as well? And also after NIE, which grade and roughly how much is the salary range? (I have a masters degree)

Also, I heard that untrained teaching stint could be a year instead of half a year like what was stated in the website. Is that common?

I really want to try teaching but I’m holding back a little because of the pay drop especially during the untrained teaching stint and also in NIE. And also a little afraid to go out of industry and if I cannot make it for teaching, I can’t go back anymore.

Unregistered 22-09-2021 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183762)
Hi, just checking if there are any mid career switch to MOE teacher after like close to 10 years in industry? I am wondering what is the untrained teaching stint pay and the NIE pay like. Is there CPF and bonus as well? And also after NIE, which grade and roughly how much is the salary range? (I have a masters degree)

Also, I heard that untrained teaching stint could be a year instead of half a year like what was stated in the website. Is that common?

I really want to try teaching but I’m holding back a little because of the pay drop especially during the untrained teaching stint and also in NIE. And also a little afraid to go out of industry and if I cannot make it for teaching, I can’t go back anymore.

doubt u can get into teaching easily given that there are too many extra teachers

Unregistered 22-09-2021 08:58 AM

I applied during the June 2021 application and I am going for the language proficiency test soon. I would guess I’m quite close to it.

Unregistered 22-09-2021 11:07 PM

Try to give it a good thought. It isn't easy being a teacher nowadays. Work really never ends and a burn out is easy. Our mental well-being comes after the students'.

What is the pull factor from your current employment to take up teaching? And what is your expected salary? pay won't be a lot for mid career switchers doing the NIE stint. Doesn't matter whichever masters degree you have got because that is not taken into consideration for promotion once you are a full fledged teacher. However, first promotion to the next grade would be faster for mid career switchers. I have friends who did mid career switch from pte sector. Is drawing 5K plus after 6 years of service? If that's not okay for you, don't leave your current employment.

Ex Teacher 23-09-2021 08:35 AM

Sincerely Seeking Advice

Started career as a full time MOE teacher. More than 10 years experience. Thought grass was greener on the other side and joined private sector for a good 5 years. Didn't quite work out and returned to teaching as a flexi adjunct role since 2016. Enjoy teaching but not as stable as full time role. Teacher manpower needs changes means I am in my 6th school as FAJT. Always remaining positive since age is close to 50 liao. No career progression and no bonus at all in my current scheme. But at least some income plus CPF. Some ask why not return to full time? Likely not since my age is against me and I don't want the disappointment of applying and getting rejected. Stay status quo and just enjoy the interaction with students and share my knowledge and experience in education with them to those who appreciate it. Reading some of your comments who are progressing well in teaching and slated to be future SLs makes me ponder what could have been if I stayed on all these years without venturing to private sector. Things might have been different :)

Unregistered 23-09-2021 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183893)
Try to give it a good thought. It isn't easy being a teacher nowadays. Work really never ends and a burn out is easy. Our mental well-being comes after the students'.

What is the pull factor from your current employment to take up teaching? And what is your expected salary? pay won't be a lot for mid career switchers doing the NIE stint. Doesn't matter whichever masters degree you have got because that is not taken into consideration for promotion once you are a full fledged teacher. However, first promotion to the next grade would be faster for mid career switchers. I have friends who did mid career switch from pte sector. Is drawing 5K plus after 6 years of service? If that's not okay for you, don't leave your current employment.

The pull factor is me wanting to be a teacher since I graduated almost 10 years ago? But I wanted to try other jobs first instead of going to be a teacher forever. But looking at the reviews of being a teacher really scares me. And I didn’t realise the big pay drop then.

I heard that mid career teacher may start off with a pay with more than 5k? I’m looking at more than 5k after I graduate from NIE. But I didn’t expect your friend to be receiving 5k only after 6 years. Probably because he/she switched into teaching much earlier? How many years of private sector experience does he/she have?

Unregistered 23-09-2021 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex Teacher (Post 183921)
Started career as a full time MOE teacher. More than 10 years experience. Thought grass was greener on the other side and joined private sector for a good 5 years. Didn't quite work out and returned to teaching as a flexi adjunct role since 2016. Enjoy teaching but not as stable as full time role. Teacher manpower needs changes means I am in my 6th school as FAJT. Always remaining positive since age is close to 50 liao. No career progression and no bonus at all in my current scheme. But at least some income plus CPF. Some ask why not return to full time? Likely not since my age is against me and I don't want the disappointment of applying and getting rejected. Stay status quo and just enjoy the interaction with students and share my knowledge and experience in education with them to those who appreciate it. Reading some of your comments who are progressing well in teaching and slated to be future SLs makes me ponder what could have been if I stayed on all these years without venturing to private sector. Things might have been different :)

I’m not a teacher, but I would say you should probably still try? Stay optimistic and just try? U still have at least 15 years to retirement which is pretty long! But of course, being a full time teacher means that you have to definitely spend much more time at work.

Just curious, why didn’t the private industry suits you? I thought being a teacher works very very very long hours. And hence anything other than being a teacher would be much better than a Teacher’s life.

Unregistered 25-09-2021 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 183762)

Do you have the passion and are you willing to use your rest time (lunch time, weekends, after school hours) to help students? If yes, go for it.