Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 12-09-2021 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ts-indepsch (Post 182737)
Hi all,
I am a TS holder who is posted to an indep sch after PGDE. Can anyone enlighten me regarding performance ranking in indep sch? I'm also curious about how I can progress up the leadership track and when should I pursue my masters or go HQ for exposure.

I would like to hear from all the seniors who have been through similar circumstances and is willing to share, thanks in advance! :)

Congrats on your graduation from NIE. Welcome to the real world of work where qualifications and average tier scholarships (ie your TS) are a dime in the dozen. There are several hundred scholarships given out a year and only so few leadership positions available in any given year. You just have to accept the reality before you can do something about it.

Independent schools are honestly not a good place for a newcomer to start, if you desire exposure and accelerated progression. Even if you’re exceedingly capable, you have to outperform many more people to gain recognition. Performance ranking is a process where you’ll be rated against people in the same subgrade as you. For new teachers like yourself, it shouldn’t be too hard to shine because the pool of lower subgrades is smaller. But as you climb, it gets harder to shine.

My best advice for progression on the leadership track is to master your bread and butter - teach well. Master your content. Instill confidence in the leaders that your pedagogy is sound so that you can be trusted with more school-wide/level-wide scale projects. Realistically you may have to wait for several years in your independent school before being considered for a low level middle manager position. If not, apply for a HQ posting after you hit the requisite subgrade, finish your posting, then apply for a low level middle manager position at another school.

Ability, aspiration, and chance. You need all three. If the school doesn’t offer you the chance because of the scarcity in positions, then leave for another environment. There are always positions - just whether you are willing to travel and endure the inconvenience.

Good luck :)

Unregistered 12-09-2021 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182643)

I joined in 2011 but still stuck at geo3. Thinking of leaving end of this year.

Did you get any grades of C- and below since 2011?

Unregistered 12-09-2021 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182731)
Is it because you are diploma holder? Or perhaps have taken NPL before?

i was a dip ed holder. But i took part time degree and was emplaced later on.

Nope never took npl before.

even my colleagues who took npl and maternity leave twice before and are still dip ed holders all got promoted before me.

Unregistered 12-09-2021 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182801)

Nope. Lowest was C grade. Was in charge of school wide events before and did cluster sharing and national wide sharing before.

I think my cep is really really low, maybe a max of geo4 at most. The only reason i can think is i don't know how to wayang and don't know how to suck up.

Nvm, i have more or less decided to leave.

Unregistered 12-09-2021 06:25 PM

To be honest, it is okay to always look for alternatives if we cannot fit in :) It's kinda pointless if an individual is burning out and getting overly stressed from the career itself. Our mental and physical well-being still matters the most :)

I do have friends who have left and are much happier where they are now :)

All the best and remember to chase your dreams okay! :)

Unregistered 12-09-2021 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182801)

Nope. Never had C

Even my colleague who had C- before also got promoted faster than me. Cuz the new upper management likes her and want to push her for st or sh role.

Unregistered 12-09-2021 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182808)
To be honest, it is okay to always look for alternatives if we cannot fit in :) It's kinda pointless if an individual is burning out and getting overly stressed from the career itself. Our mental and physical well-being still matters the most :)

I do have friends who have left and are much happier where they are now :)

All the best and remember to chase your dreams okay! :)

care to share what your friends did after they left teaching service? thanks

Unregistered 12-09-2021 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182807)
Nope. Lowest was C grade. Was in charge of school wide events before and did cluster sharing and national wide sharing before.

I think my cep is really really low, maybe a max of geo4 at most. The only reason i can think is i don't know how to wayang and don't know how to suck up.

Nvm, i have more or less decided to leave.

Lowest CEP is P8 GEO 5. Maybe you should speak to your RO to understand more.

Unregistered 12-09-2021 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182805)
i was a dip ed holder. But i took part time degree and was emplaced later on.

Nope never took npl before.

even my colleagues who took npl and maternity leave twice before and are still dip ed holders all got promoted before me.

Your first few years as a dip holder would result in slower progression than those with degrees. However, if your progression is slower than those with diploma (note its diploma and not those with post grad diploma - PDGE), then it would be very strange. Perhaps you should have a word with your RO.

Unregistered 12-09-2021 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182812)
Lowest CEP is P8 GEO 5. Maybe you should speak to your RO to understand more.

Would this CEP apply for a teacher who joined the service when he is in his early 50s (mid-career)?