Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 10-09-2021 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puzzled (Post 182313)
I am 35 this year, appointed HOD for 3 years. Wondering how to bring up the topic to have a sensing of my runway towards becoming a VPz

Speak to your RO (I assume your VP) and be frank about our aspirations to be on the leadership track.

Not all HOD wants to go further and SLs may not ask you/assume you are happy being HOD. Luck plays a role as well, especially if you are out-shadowed by high performing colleagues, as SLs and Supt's attention will likely be on recommending that person first.

Also, be prepared to take on at least 2 different portfolios so you can say that you have a more macro perspective of matters, not just confined to your portfolio.

I would consider asking what are your areas of growth, as well as what additional exposure he/she thinks you will be good for, and try to manage work or projects beyond your current portfolio.

That would help speed things up a bit. At the end of the day, CEP matters more than performance grade when it comes to advancement beyond.

There is also a specific archtype they look for when they want to recommend for leadership roles beyond HOD.

Unregistered 10-09-2021 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182424)
how much is SEP quantum? realised got odd figure increase from the $500 drawn in previous September.

Check your pay advice clearly, not your bank balance.
It should be either $500 or $700(10 years of service and more).

I also do not think this is CPF deductible.

If the amount is weird, consider checking with HR since they just recently upgrade pac@gov

Unregistered 11-09-2021 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182600)
Check your pay advice clearly, not your bank balance.
It should be either $500 or $700(10 years of service and more).

I also do not think this is CPF deductible.

If the amount is weird, consider checking with HR since they just recently upgrade pac@gov

Yes check pay advice and yes it is CPF deductible.

Unregistered 11-09-2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by just a cher (Post 182536)
Seems like many people always ask about this. I only have 2nd lower from NIE, bachelor degree, no NS, no scholarship or TA

I got curious about my own ‘progression’ and went to check my emails for promotion year, grade, pay, PB grade & number of months. Missing info for first 2 years as there’s no email… maybe they didn’t use to email us? Not sure. Prior to this compilation, I don’t know my PB or pay ‘cause I don’t keep track (lol the type who just spend and save and live life as it is).

Year on year - GEO (PB, months) [other info]
( $xxxx is the pay in October of that year)

GEO 1.1 (joined in June)
GEO 1.1
GEO 1A1 $42xx (B 2.25) [batch promo]
GEO 1A1/3 $43xx -> $45xx wef Oct (C+ 2.2)
GEO 4 $50xx (B 2.4) [promo] [Connect Plan Y4 payout]
GEO 4 $52xx (C 1.5)
GEO 4 $54xx (C 1.5)
GEO 4 $56xx (C+ 2) [NPL] [Connect Plan Y7 payout]
GEO 4 $57xx (C 1.5)
GEO 4 ST $58xx (B 2.6)
GEO 4

Should be average. Hav friends faster & also have friends slower. Some still at GEO 3, some promoted to GEO 4 1 y earlier than me, some promoted to GEO 4 a few years Slower.

Most probably I will retire at SEO 1 (since I am a ST). Thought I’d be at GEO 4 for a long time until 40s to get GEO 5 (then just HOT lor), but got recommended to take up a ST position.

Leaving here for reference.

I think this is fairly accurate.

Not "10k after 7-8 years of teaching is the norm" kind of bullcrap some people like to spin online.

That being said, your rate of promotion and career path is already quite fast, considering u hit geo 4 after 4 years. Your geo 5 should be coming soon in a few years time.

I supposed u joined in 2010? I know of colleagues who joined in 2010 already at seo1 or geo5 but yours isn't too bad either.

I joined in 2011 but still stuck at geo3. Thinking of leaving end of this year.

Unregistered 11-09-2021 03:39 PM

Hi all, if I join a new school in mid next year, will my ranking for next year be determined by my current school or my new school? How will it be determined since my work for next year is split across two halves.

Unregistered 11-09-2021 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182676)
Hi all, if I join a new school in mid next year, will my ranking for next year be determined by my current school or my new school? How will it be determined since my work for next year is split across two halves.

Current school will share information (perhaps even make a recommendation), but new school will make the decision.

Unregistered 11-09-2021 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182696)
Current school will share information (perhaps even make a recommendation), but new school will make the decision.

Most likely will get default C grade unless you’ve made an impact at the national level/cluster level/zonal level

Unregistered 11-09-2021 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182696)

Likely a default C, whether they choose to rank you or choose not to.

Unregistered 12-09-2021 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 182643)
I think this is fairly accurate.

Not "10k after 7-8 years of teaching is the norm" kind of bullcrap some people like to spin online.

That being said, your rate of promotion and career path is already quite fast, considering u hit geo 4 after 4 years. Your geo 5 should be coming soon in a few years time.

I supposed u joined in 2010? I know of colleagues who joined in 2010 already at seo1 or geo5 but yours isn't too bad either.

I joined in 2011 but still stuck at geo3. Thinking of leaving end of this year.

Is it because you are diploma holder? Or perhaps have taken NPL before?

ts-indepsch 12-09-2021 02:48 AM

Performance Ranking in Indep Sch

Hi all,
I am a TS holder who is posted to an indep sch after PGDE. Can anyone enlighten me regarding performance ranking in indep sch? I'm also curious about how I can progress up the leadership track and when should I pursue my masters or go HQ for exposure.

I would like to hear from all the seniors who have been through similar circumstances and is willing to share, thanks in advance! :)