Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

A more responsible guy 10-06-2015 04:30 PM

Hi, I'm thinking of joining the PGDE programme to teach design and technology. I'm a TP design graduate with 4-5 years of experience as an industrial designer, and have won a few design awards.

The problem I need to look for a recognized university, thing is because of my age, 4 years full time may be a bit too long (I was advised by the interviewers not to take the route as I will be out of job during the shortlisted interview). I'm thinking of either SIM part time while working or the RMIT which is 1 year, but from what I've seen online, seems that neither of these universities are recognized by MOE.

I looking at PGDE programme to a GEO1 salary scale.

I'm 28yo now, currently working as a designer in a MNC, intending to switch my career.
Is there any universities that are recognized by MOE?

Unregistered 10-06-2015 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A more responsible guy (Post 67943)
Hi, I'm thinking of joining the PGDE programme to teach design and technology. I'm a TP design graduate with 4-5 years of experience as an industrial designer, and have won a few design awards.

The problem I need to look for a recognized university, thing is because of my age, 4 years full time may be a bit too long (I was advised by the interviewers not to take the route as I will be out of job during the shortlisted interview). I'm thinking of either SIM part time while working or the RMIT which is 1 year, but from what I've seen online, seems that neither of these universities are recognized by MOE.

I'm 28yo now, currently working as a designer in a MNC, intending to switch my career.

If you want to go through PGDE route standard should go for NUS/NTU/SMU full time to maximize your chances. Any part time degree is a waste of time.

Your few years working exp as industrial designer is pretty much irrelevant, so its not going to help you there. Just like the advice for the guy above, do your maths & see if it makes economic sense. Don't end up in debts after your studies at 32 yrs old with only a GEO1 job to show for.

If you look at the people who do a mid career switch from pte to MOE teacher, most are in their mid to late 30s having a well established career , so they can afford a pay cut and leverage on their savings & experience to secure a teaching role out of passion.

A more responsible guy 10-06-2015 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 67948)
If you want to go through PGDE route standard should go for NUS/NTU/SMU full time to maximize your chances. Any part time degree is a waste of time.

Your few years working exp as industrial designer is pretty much irrelevant, so its not going to help you there. Just like the advice for the guy above, do your maths & see if it makes economic sense. Don't end up in debts after your studies at 32 yrs old with only a GEO1 job to show for.

If you look at the people who do a mid career switch from pte to MOE teacher, most are in their mid to late 30s having a well established career , so they can afford a pay cut and leverage on their savings & experience to secure a teaching role out of passion.

Sorry to ask but I'm a bit curious, what is your occupation now?
What about getting in as a diploma graduate and do a further study from there? Will the pay scale be adjusted? or stagnant?

Unregistered 11-06-2015 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A more responsible guy (Post 67961)
Sorry to ask but I'm a bit curious, what is your occupation now?
What about getting in as a diploma graduate and do a further study from there? Will the pay scale be adjusted? or stagnant?

I am a Marketing Associate in a MNC now. I explored the thought of joining MOE as a teacher last year with a non-recognized bachelor degree and basically went through the same research and thought process like you as well.

In the end my conclusion was although I liked teaching, the whole economics of the deal doesn’t make sense. There was no way I was going to waste 3-4 years of my life & deplete my savings to study something worthless full time just to get a cert and then take a 50% pay cut as a teacher.

As for joining MOE with a diploma then try to study from there hoping that somehow will make it to mainstream teaching, not sure how feasible it is. But I don’t think it makes sense anyway, why give up a proper career & paycheck to go for something that has very little hope of success. Without relevant exp even if MOE accepts you, they are going to offer you fresh diploma pay & benefits which is quite pathetic.

If after a few years it doesn’t work out, you will be stuck with lousy job prospects as a diploma civil servant or Div2 officer and going to back to pte sector will be extremely difficult. As I said, you don’t want to end up in your 30s with little relevant exp, low pay and no job prospects.

A more responsible guy 11-06-2015 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68006)
I am a Marketing Associate in a MNC now. I explored the thought of joining MOE as a teacher last year with a non-recognized bachelor degree and basically went through the same research and thought process like you as well.

In the end my conclusion was although I liked teaching, the whole economics of the deal doesn’t make sense. There was no way I was going to waste 3-4 years of my life & deplete my savings to study something worthless full time just to get a cert and then take a 50% pay cut as a teacher.

As for joining MOE with a diploma then try to study from there hoping that somehow will make it to mainstream teaching, not sure how feasible it is. But I don’t think it makes sense anyway, why give up a proper career & paycheck to go for something that has very little hope of success. Without relevant exp even if MOE accepts you, they are going to offer you fresh diploma pay & benefits which is quite pathetic.

If after a few years it doesn’t work out, you will be stuck with lousy job prospects as a diploma civil servant or Div2 officer and going to back to pte sector will be extremely difficult. As I said, you don’t want to end up in your 30s with little relevant exp, low pay and no job prospects.

I'll give it a shot first, if I'm selected for the interview, I'll ask the interviewers how the pay scale will work.
Actually my work experience is relevant to the subject I intend to teach, just checked the site.
If it doesn't work out, I'm prolly looking forward to another MNC as a designer/senior designer and do part time studies.

Unregistered 12-06-2015 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A more responsible guy (Post 68010)
I'll give it a shot first, if I'm selected for the interview, I'll ask the interviewers how the pay scale will work.
Actually my work experience is relevant to the subject I intend to teach, just checked the site.
If it doesn't work out, I'm prolly looking forward to another MNC as a designer/senior designer and do part time studies.

xiao lang, go & join moe as diploma officer!?

Unregistered 14-06-2015 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A more responsible guy (Post 67943)

you can join SIT and do their 2 year design degree with Glasgow School of Art.

Unregistered 14-06-2015 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68202)
you can join SIT and do their 2 year design degree with Glasgow School of Art.

and then do what? teach prim school art or sec d&t? thats the fastest way to hantataki career

Unregistered 15-06-2015 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68207)
and then do what? teach prim school art or sec d&t? thats the fastest way to hantataki career

Then do the PGDE.
Suggest you check your facts before you give baseless advice.

Unregistered 15-06-2015 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 68227)
Then do the PGDE.
Suggest you check your facts before you give baseless advice.

Haha fat hope! You think so easy to get PGDE somemore with just a degree from art school? Suggest you do a reality check before making baseless accusation. Don't send others on a wild goose chase for a few years just because of a minute possibility.

Is it possible? Yes.
Is it probable? No.