Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 05-07-2021 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176860)
In some schools, every person in the department seems to be allocated a "coordinator" role. This is done by "dividing" roles further into e.g. individual levels/more specific subjects etc. Perhaps the HOD wants to make things fair? But in doing so, how does it differentiate whether someone is more competent or not?

This is the first time I've heard that being a coordinator can help with ranking or in taking up KP/SH roles...because everyone in the department/school will have such a role anyway (unless already HOD or ST etc.)

Original poster here. As mentioned previously, being a coordinator might (not will) help with promotion. Like what you mentioned, if everyone is already a coordinator, then it is par for course.

To answer your question on differentiating, I always found it useful to look at the KRA of a GEO that is one level higher. If you're a 4, look at the work a 5 is supposed to do. That will easily help with differentiating. If everyone in your department is a 4 and everyone is doing a work of a 4, then everyone bunches up at the same PB level.

More importantly, think of it as opportunity to create work that has impact that goes beyond the classroom (e.g. level wide) and how it can provide be a glimpse of leadership work.

Unregistered 05-07-2021 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176860)
In some schools, every person in the department seems to be allocated a "coordinator" role. This is done by "dividing" roles further into e.g. individual levels/more specific subjects etc. Perhaps the HOD wants to make things fair? But in doing so, how does it differentiate whether someone is more competent or not?

This is the first time I've heard that being a coordinator can help with ranking or in taking up KP/SH roles...because everyone in the department/school will have such a role anyway (unless already HOD or ST etc.)

The role is just a name. What matters is the impact your work brings about. Even if you are not a coordinator, you managed to implement a fantastic pedagogy and share it with your school and even cluster, then the impact you致e made will definitely be greater than a coordinator who simply creates resources for the entire level. This is just the truth. Life.

Unregistered 06-07-2021 03:58 PM

How long does a zoom interview usually last for OP?

Unregistered 08-07-2021 07:43 PM

MI

I am a teacher that returned to service last July and got my merit increment this month, just wanna check what is the "normal" amt for merit increment and what amt is considered a good performance MI? Thanks!

Unregistered 08-07-2021 08:13 PM

English as a teaching subject

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 168474)
thank you for this detailed response! ☺️

work-life balance in law is absolutely terrible, i知 prepared to leave the office past midnight as a trainee. but it seems like teaching definitely has a degree of this as well. i値l keep that in mind!

i definitely will complete my legal training and try my best to stick it out, but i honestly do not think it痴 going to be feasible for me to sleep 3 hours a day till i知 thirty. and thank you for that suggestion, too! i値l apply for relief teaching during my school breaks. this is something that worries me as well, i came from an international school and did ib instead of going down the mainstream education path. i知 quite afraid this might disadvantage me, but i do think EL skills are transferable, no matter the curriculum.

thank you, again!

Hey there just saw this and yes the work is extremely fulfilling, probably more so than most legal careers where you're enriching your partners and helping clients fulfill the word of the law instead of the spirit of it!

However, I'd strongly, strongly recommend against English as a teaching subject if you have the opportunity to interview for anything else. On top of normal duties (teaching, internal and national examination invigilation, CCA, committee work, ad-hoc events), English department teachers where I am at write emcee scripts, train emcees for all school events and celebrations, proofread graduating student testimonials, do internal oral examinations, and are expected to train and groom students to participate in essay / public speaking competitions at the baseline. You may find yourself burning out way before a peer in a different department does.

Languages are generally a revolving door in my school except for those with exceptionally strong wills and are willing to accept basically 65-70 hour weeks for 40 weeks of the year, with marking taken home to do at night and on weekends, and possibly under five hours of sleep per day during examination period.

Unregistered 09-07-2021 05:36 PM

Hi,

Can I check, for those undergoing contract teaching, will the marriage leave be given?

If so, will it affect your grading to enter NIE?

Unregistered 10-07-2021 08:43 AM

Hi, I graduated from NIE around 5 years back and currently with my secondary school for the past 5 years, drawing a base salary of $5k. Is this commensurate with the market average? If not, what is it roughly? Wondering if there are room for negotiations, thanks!

Unregistered 10-07-2021 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177488)
Hi, I graduated from NIE around 5 years back and currently with my secondary school for the past 5 years, drawing a base salary of $5k. Is this commensurate with the market average? If not, what is it roughly? Wondering if there are room for negotiations, thanks!

If you're not an NSman, it's right about average. If you are an NSman, those who have hit GEO4 this year are ahead of you.

There is no room for negotiation, only merit increments and promotion increments according to HR's algorithms.

Unregistered 10-07-2021 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177497)
If you're not an NSman, it's right about average. If you are an NSman, those who have hit GEO4 this year are ahead of you.

There is no room for negotiation, only merit increments and promotion increments according to HR's algorithms.

Thanks for the feedback - I am an NSman. What is the GEO4 range may I ask?

Unregistered 10-07-2021 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 177038)
How long does a zoom interview usually last for OP?

I went for 2 interviews on Friday. One lasted 20 min, the other just 10 min. But I didn't have a good feeling. Now just waiting for the "death" sentence for them to officially say no to me.