Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 02-07-2021 08:38 PM

Got offered to be a subject coordinator. Don’t understand what the job entails so not sure whether or not to take it up. Anyone knows?

Unregistered 02-07-2021 09:23 PM

Hello. I’m in the 3rd year of service now and would like to apply for a HQ posting. But the procedure to apply for HQ posts mentioned about having 3 years of teaching experience but since this is my 3rd year, does that mean I don’t meet the requirements? Or will they look at the 3 years requirement as at the year of posting in (I.e. next year)? Thanks!

Unregistered 03-07-2021 10:09 AM

0.3 month bonus is still not in?

Unregistered 03-07-2021 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176437)
Got offered to be a subject coordinator. Don’t understand what the job entails so not sure whether or not to take it up. Anyone knows?

A good opportunity to work with others. Might be a chance for future SH/KP roles.

Unregistered 03-07-2021 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176438)
Hello. I’m in the 3rd year of service now and would like to apply for a HQ posting. But the procedure to apply for HQ posts mentioned about having 3 years of teaching experience but since this is my 3rd year, does that mean I don’t meet the requirements? Or will they look at the 3 years requirement as at the year of posting in (I.e. next year)? Thanks!

Counted, can try.

Unregistered 03-07-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176330)
When you apply for OP positions, will your P and/or RO know which position and school you are applying to?

An official notification will only come to your P if you accept an offer in HRMS.

But it is a basic courtesy to inform your P and RO that you are intending to apply and there is a possibility that you will leave, should you be offered a position elsewhere. Unless you are for some reason completely not on talking terms with your P, you really should give him/her a heads up first.

It's quite rude to the P if he/she finds out first from another P or a Branch Head about your application, but radio silence from you. Or worse, suddenly receive a HRMS notification of your new posting out of the blue.

Unregistered 04-07-2021 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176437)

You will lead a (small?) team in creating resources, oversee assessment and introduce new and relevant pedagogy. Sometimes, it is just you and not even a team.

Basically, you are an unofficial SH/LH. Do the work but without the offloading or Responsibility Allowance. You can either see it as an opportunity to prove your worth and be called for KP interview one day, or you might end up seeing it as sai kang. Depends on your lens.

Being a subject coordinator might be useful during your ranking, though it depends on your GEO ranking and your peers.

Unregistered 04-07-2021 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176438)

Also, need to note that to go to HQ, you will need P7 CEP. Of course you wont know what your CEP is. But you can try.

Unregistered 05-07-2021 01:33 AM

I think all depends on school. I'm not offered as a subject coordinator but I'm doing all the coordinator job. Simply because my sch has excess this subject teacher. And their taiji skills v good. I'm new as compared to the rest of them.......

Sometimes I feel so not worth doing those job because at the end of the day, credits stolen.

Unregistered 05-07-2021 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 176626)
You will lead a (small?) team in creating resources, oversee assessment and introduce new and relevant pedagogy. Sometimes, it is just you and not even a team.

Basically, you are an unofficial SH/LH. Do the work but without the offloading or Responsibility Allowance. You can either see it as an opportunity to prove your worth and be called for KP interview one day, or you might end up seeing it as sai kang. Depends on your lens.

Being a subject coordinator might be useful during your ranking, though it depends on your GEO ranking and your peers.

In some schools, every person in the department seems to be allocated a "coordinator" role. This is done by "dividing" roles further into e.g. individual levels/more specific subjects etc. Perhaps the HOD wants to make things fair? But in doing so, how does it differentiate whether someone is more competent or not?

This is the first time I've heard that being a coordinator can help with ranking or in taking up KP/SH roles...because everyone in the department/school will have such a role anyway (unless already HOD or ST etc.)