Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 27-05-2021 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170893)
For you to hit SEO 2, it means the potential is there. May I ask if you are in your late 30s or early 40s? I have 2 friends who were identified as VPs potential, they were invited for tea sessions, the one in the late 30s turned down the offer to be VP, the one in early 40s cleared the VP interview but at this moment, the vacancies for VPs are hard to come by with the merging of schools. As such the one who cleared the VP tea session interview was told to wait or be deployed to HQ. He is doing VP work in his school as VP3.

I'm very early 40s. Quite old already. There are many younger VPs who has cleared the interview. My HQ stint is probably coming to an end and there's no news for VP interview, can I assume no hope to posted back as VP?

Unregistered 28-05-2021 08:06 AM

Very anecdotal, but I do know of a SAD who was posted back to school as a VP. But I assume he cleared VP interview along the way, so if you've not heard about that... might not be so soon?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170877)
I'm currently a SEO2 in HQ. I was formerly a HOD, applied for AD post in HQ. My appointment was redesignated as "senior assistant director" as was promoted during my stint in HQ. If I were to be posted back to school, will it be a VP or HOD appointment? I know there's an interview for VP candidates but I have not been called for any interview yet. Thanks!

Unregistered 28-05-2021 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170698)
what can a teacher do after he/she leave the service?

im thinking of resigning end of the year. but realised that im stuck with no transferable skills or education background.

v depressing

I'm quite sure you're not that old. Rather than skills and education, it is more of the passion that keeps people going in many industries, not just teaching.

A general statistic I can say is that, for most of the teachers who left the service, close to none regretted the decision (no matter which other industry they ended up in).

Stay positive and look ahead ok! When there's a will, there's a way :)

Unregistered 29-05-2021 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170898)
I'm very early 40s. Quite old already. There are many younger VPs who has cleared the interview. My HQ stint is probably coming to an end and there's no news for VP interview, can I assume no hope to posted back as VP?

After clearing the VP interview, one still has to be in the queue. So it would take quite a while cos the number of vacancies for new VPs is quite low with the merging of schools.

May I check if you are a scholar?

Unregistered 06-06-2021 04:40 PM

Increment

Hi,

I would like to check if during my contract teaching stint as well as NIE training, will there be any pay increment?

Unregistered 06-06-2021 08:07 PM

I have a school mate who is in her mid 30s and is already a VP.

Unregistered 07-06-2021 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 172803)
I have a school mate who is in her mid 30s and is already a VP.

Not surprising for PSC scholars to promote that fast. In Ministries they would have been DD level.

Unregistered 07-06-2021 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170790)
The scholarship must at least be at MOE Education Scholar and above like PSC, else its not guaranteed. Seen MOE teaching scholarships and awards ended up cmi and left service.

You acknowledged that there are different tiers of scholarships. Which is very true. Similar to how SAF classified different tiers of scholarships to their own CEP. Eg. SAFOS is the top tier. Go there and make no mistakes throughout your career, you would be leading a ministry at least.

LMS is nothing-anyone with a local uni placement can get this money. People here are the lowest batch of scholars and their CEP usually ends up with just a senior lt colonel thats all. Full colonel if they are ok.

No scholarship means you are a farmer. Usually you will progress really slowly and end rank is Major or Lt Colonel.

Unregistered 09-06-2021 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 172867)
You acknowledged that there are different tiers of scholarships. Which is very true. Similar to how SAF classified different tiers of scholarships to their own CEP. Eg. SAFOS is the top tier. Go there and make no mistakes throughout your career, you would be leading a ministry at least.

LMS is nothing-anyone with a local uni placement can get this money. People here are the lowest batch of scholars and their CEP usually ends up with just a senior lt colonel thats all. Full colonel if they are ok.

No scholarship means you are a farmer. Usually you will progress really slowly and end rank is Major or Lt Colonel.

The problem is vacancy.. there are not many positions available at COL estab because of the relatively small size of our armed forces. So a lot of decent chaps holding SMS or above scholarships also wait very long at SLTC.

Similarly we have a lot of scholar HODs who are high performing in their managerial roles but wait very long for a VP(EO) opening to become vacant.

Unregistered 09-06-2021 06:28 PM

Anyone can share what fresh grads are getting these days? I heard it's around 3.7-3.8k for FCH with NS?