Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 17-05-2021 08:29 PM

Anyone has a rough idea of the expected progression for the annual salary package (base + bonus) for an MOE teacher over the years based on number of years of experience??

Thank you!

Unregistered 17-05-2021 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169176)
Not true. I have seen others getting directly appointed without any prior internal appointments.

Generally depends on the School Leaders (esp. the P). If you've seen it done at your school, then yes you are getting a rawer deal.

But as someone shared earlier - if you're looking for a chance to prove yourself without changing school, this is probably it. If you last got C (not even C+), don't think it's realistic to expect immediate appointment. If you're willing to work harder for a chance to shine, go ahead! If not… well, plenty of people find happiness as HOTs, too!

Unregistered 23-05-2021 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 168824)
Thank you for this insightful answer! Wow, I didn't know that teachers have such a heavy load on their shoulders, makes me respect mine even more 😊 A lot of work sounds administrative in nature, definitely something I expected to come with the job, and this list you provided does sound like a challenge to juggle. Oral exams were a nightmare not just for the students, but for the teachers too, huh? 🥴

This was a great picture you painted about the multi-faceted professional life of a teacher. I definitely realise it isn't a bed of roses, and that the role of an educator comes with a set of many struggles, too.

There is one thing I am curious about, though. Does promotion to HOD or higher-level positions stem from a teacher's ability to balance many fringe projects on his/ her plate? Since engagement and quality of teaching might be hard to directly quantify, I have this doubt about how one climbs up the career ladder in education.

I just saw this.. I think a SH or HOD would be able to give you a clearer answer of what promotion to the position entails, but based on my limited understanding, you would need to have demonstrated the necessary competencies and dispositions first before appointment to the role.

SH/HOD do teach, but their role is primarily managerial. Teaching well is a baseline expectation for all teachers. For heads, you'd also have to be able to drive department AND school-level policies, projects and processes to ensure alignment of programmes and results to the school's strategic thrusts. Also you need to be good at managing those who work under you, so good interpersonal skills are vital for heads. Teaching has very little to do directly with whether you would make a good SH/HOD, although good teaching does inform good practices and processes.

But dont take my word for it.. ask an actual head :)

Unregistered 23-05-2021 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169237)
Anyone has a rough idea of the expected progression for the annual salary package (base + bonus) for an MOE teacher over the years based on number of years of experience??

Thank you!

Dun count your chickens before they are hatched. A scholar once asked how many years to be seo. Then ended up, the scholar kena stucked at geo 2 when the scholar left teaching after the 4 years bond was over.

Unregistered 24-05-2021 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170142)
Dun count your chickens before they are hatched. A scholar once asked how many years to be seo. Then ended up, the scholar kena stucked at geo 2 when the scholar left teaching after the 4 years bond was over.

Stuck at geo2? Sure bo? Anyhow also will get cohort promotion to geo3 leh.

Unregistered 24-05-2021 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170215)
Stuck at geo2? Sure bo? Anyhow also will get cohort promotion to geo3 leh.

Cohort promotion is valid only if your performance is at least default grade C.

Unregistered 24-05-2021 08:16 PM

I miss teaching badly

I enjoy working with the students and I miss teaching them badly

Unregistered 24-05-2021 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170328)
Cohort promotion is valid only if your performance is at least default grade C.

How s&&t do you have to be to manage to get a scholarship but not even be able to meet the minimum performance level to get a C grade at GEO2? I find it quite hard to believe.

Unless the scholar committed serious professional misconduct with students or with finance related stuff. Then I don't think they should be compared with below-avg performing teachers (but still good enough to meet the minimum requirements of the job).

Unregistered 25-05-2021 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170334)
I enjoy working with the students and I miss teaching them badly

Sometimes the problems don't come from the students but from the fellow colleagues. Former teachers I knew left the profession because of their schools.

Unregistered 26-05-2021 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 170344)
How s&&t do you have to be to manage to get a scholarship but not even be able to meet the minimum performance level to get a C grade at GEO2? I find it quite hard to believe.

Unless the scholar committed serious professional misconduct with students or with finance related stuff. Then I don't think they should be compared with below-avg performing teachers (but still good enough to meet the minimum requirements of the job).

Not all scholars are good. You find it hard to believe but there are really cases.. Serious misconduct would mean immediate suspension and dismissal from service already.