Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 15-05-2021 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 168831)
Does Honour class play a part in CEP? Always had an impression it only affects starting pay.

Joined in 2015, 2nd lower but with NS, got GEO4 this year. Part of the school's internal COVID task force for HBL, social distancing etc since 2020. Also part of school NE committee. So I am involved when it comes to NDP concert, civil defence day, that sort of stuff.. Gotten C, B, B for the past 3 years.

My colleague, non scholar, female, but 1st class, joined in 2016, got GEO4 last year. She claimed she had B only once and it was not recent and gotten C- last year. In fact, she doesn't even have any committee assignments last year, so even she herself was surprised about the promotion.

Feeling about salty about it, considering I served NS. I am wondering if it's because of the difference in Honours that had an impact on her promotion time frame and CEP or she's just a lucky chap?

it's C+ not C-. typo

Unregistered 15-05-2021 03:37 PM

Quote:

Does Honour class play a part in CEP? Always had an impression it only affects starting pay.

Joined in 2015, 2nd lower but with NS, got GEO4 this year. Part of the school's internal COVID task force for HBL, social distancing etc since 2020. Also part of school NE committee. So I am involved when it comes to NDP concert, civil defence day, that sort of stuff.. Gotten C, B, B for the past 3 years.

My colleague, non scholar, female, but 1st class, joined in 2016, got GEO4 last year. She claimed she had B only once and it was not recent and gotten C- last year. In fact, she doesn't even have any committee assignments last year, so even she herself was surprised about the promotion.

Feeling about salty about it, considering I served NS. I am wondering if it's because of the difference in Honours that had an impact on her promotion time frame and CEP or she's just a lucky chap?

They dont say it, but i thought its kinda obvious honours play a part in CEP?

Unregistered 15-05-2021 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 168906)
They dont say it, but i thought its kinda obvious honours play a part in CEP?

Principal mentioned before that honours does play a part

Unregistered 16-05-2021 02:26 AM

Quote:

P has the biggest role to play, which makes the system so flawed. Some may look at honours and whether you're a scholar. Some may choose to focus on holistic performance, while others may value specific areas of work, or nitpick at one area and use it as a basis to determine CEP. Who knows?

Unregistered 17-05-2021 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 168823)
i got C grade and during review, my RO say she can push me for internal SH appointment (if im interested), so that can secure better ranking in the future. Is it worth to take it since internal appointments are "fake"?

How is internal appointment "fake"? One has to be internally appointed to know more about the role first. After spending about a year or two, then you can talk to your school about going for interview.

If you want to get a better PB grade, I'd say, just go for it. By accepting the role, you are already doing alot more compared to your peers of the same scale.

Unregistered 17-05-2021 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169168)
How is internal appointment "fake"? One has to be internally appointed to know more about the role first. After spending about a year or two, then you can talk to your school about going for interview.

If you want to get a better PB grade, I'd say, just go for it. By accepting the role, you are already doing alot more compared to your peers of the same scale.

Not true. I have seen others getting directly appointed without any prior internal appointments.

Unregistered 17-05-2021 04:02 PM

Quote:

Wah you think u done NS very big? Newsflash, you already started with a few hundred dollars more with your NS accounted for, now you still want NS to be a reason to accelerate your promotion?

Talk about being entitled.

And please, if by now you still dont know class of HONOURs plays a part in career progression by now and nothing you would ever do at work can accelerate your promotion, all i can say to you is you deserve to be lowballed for the rest of your life as a teacher. Too late to escape now lol.

Unregistered 17-05-2021 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 168821)
Yes, I completely understand! There might be a barrier to understanding what students under the MOE system go through in their education.

Thank you so much for the offer! I'd definitely take you up on this. I created a throwaway email address: [email protected]. I'd really appreciate if you could refer me to a colleague so I can gain better understanding on a career as a teacher 😊 it's great to know EL teachers are in demand!

I’m a former EL teacher. I would strongly encourage you to join another sector, other than law there are many other places which you could consider. Please think very carefully before making this jump. Teaching is more than the act of teaching itself. If you talk to young EL teachers, those who had done well in uni and had other better options and somehow chose to join teaching, if you are close enough to them, you may get a better understanding of the full picture - beyond the job role (ie dealing with non job factors that are much more crucial in career progression. I can’t say much, but just think about the typical mindset of a principal, that’s a good hint.

Unregistered 17-05-2021 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169176)
Not true. I have seen others getting directly appointed without any prior internal appointments.

This is possible, but you will need to be prepared for it in some other way, for example being coached by a KP or SL. It's harder to clear the interview without having some firsthand experience working the role, because the interview will zoom in on your knowledge of the role profile and jobscope (some will call this "role clarity"), among other things.

Unregistered 17-05-2021 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 169176)

Yes, I agree that one should not take up internal appointments. Just ask to be put up for interview if they think you are suitable. There’s a lot of additional work but as an internal appointment holder, you are not entitled to ‘reduced’ teaching workload and you do not get extra remuneration for holding the appointment. (If you are not SEO1).