Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 26-03-2021 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 161732)
Not sure also. My P claims HR decides. But when i went for a talk recently by HR, HR says schools decide 😳

My HOD also said HR decides but ranking is done by the school and I think the SLs are responsible for pushing for your promotion although ultimately HR will decide. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Unregistered 26-03-2021 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 161734)
My HOD also said HR decides but ranking is done by the school and I think the SLs are responsible for pushing for your promotion although ultimately HR will decide. Correct me if I’m wrong.

HR decides. At the school level, only recommendations can be given, no final decision making power.

It's speculated that the massive slowdown in (especially) geo3 to geo4 is due to saturation at geo4/5 grades. So a lot of farmers and/or people nearer to average performance are going to continue to be stuck.

Unregistered 26-03-2021 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 161740)
HR decides. At the school level, only recommendations can be given, no final decision making power.

It's speculated that the massive slowdown in (especially) geo3 to geo4 is due to saturation at geo4/5 grades. So a lot of farmers and/or people nearer to average performance are going to continue to be stuck.

becoming middle and top heavy so they have to moderate

Unregistered 26-03-2021 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 161753)
becoming middle and top heavy so they have to moderate

ironically, the way to alleviate the middle/top heaviness is to try to reduce attrition rates at the lower grades. Rather than waiting for the top and middle to leave/retire.

The former is healthier for the organisation in the long run, although it is more expensive. Too bad, this is Singapore Inc. GEO3s gonna hentak kaki, and then leave for greener pastures while they are still young.

Unregistered 26-03-2021 11:19 AM

What's the point on discussion about promotions etc.

Your career as a teacher is a dead end job with no transferrable skills with mediocre pay given the amount of effort you need to dedicate to this crappy role

Unregistered 26-03-2021 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 161740)

Are u from HQ?

Some ppl whom are favoured by the sch get promoted faster. If CEP and pb are the same for both persons, why do 1 promote faster? So isit sch pushed for promotion or HQ decides in the end?

Unregistered 26-03-2021 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 161853)
Are u from HQ?

Some ppl whom are favoured by the sch get promoted faster. If CEP and pb are the same for both persons, why do 1 promote faster? So isit sch pushed for promotion or HQ decides in the end?

Scholar.
Last time my school got 2 maths teacher.
One is scholar and very active. Math olympiad. Maths a paper. Etc.
The other is just as good. But not a scholar.

The scholar got promoted.... Now the scholar promoted all the way to overseas director of maths program.

Promotions are for individuals who strive to be better than their current level.
Teacher who just good in teaching the current level is only good for their current level.
No need promotions

Unregistered 26-03-2021 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 161853)
Are u from HQ?

Not from HQ. Just speculating why in the past we can see 20+ people in a school all being promoted in a year, while these days it can be as few as <10.

What I understand (again, not verified because insider sources will obviously not discuss this at length) is, HR will flag officers for promotion at intervals. The algorithm that determines this interval is not known to us, all we know is that it is somewhat related to CEP. Based on this, the school then decides whether to support/not support the promotion. HR will then execute the final decision.

That's why they say that "the rate at which you MAY be promoted depends on CEP, but whether you are actually promoted at each instance depends on your performance". You would have heard this line while in NIE before, or even from colleagues/mentors.

justwandering 26-03-2021 04:52 PM

Cohort Promotion

Hi, I am a GEO2. Got my confirmation letter (1 year after NIE) just yesterday.
I heard that cohort promotion for guys is usually a year after NIE (faster than girls who usually take 2 years). I wasn't promoted this year though. Wondering if any of the guys here are or were in the same situation as me? thanks

Unregistered 1 26-03-2021 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 161672)
i was informed of my promotion from geo2 to geo3 this morning. i was alr at the ceiling of geo2, any idea of the increment in salary? is it % based? my latest PB grade was C. thks in advance

When did you finish practicum?