Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

lazyplane 28-11-2014 02:30 PM

Quite sure Deputy Director salary in stat board cannot be 4500.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59304)

Mr Tan is a Pass degree holder who has worked for 11 years in both the public and private sectors, with his last job being a deputy director in a statutory board. His last drawn salary was $4,500. He decides to join teaching in 2008. Under the current policy, he would be offered a starting salary of $3,697 as a trainee teacher in NIE. With the revised policy, his starting salary will be $4,221. Upon graduation from NIE in 2009 and subject to good performance, he is placed on the General Education Officer (GEO) 1A1 grade directly (instead of GEO 1.1) and given additional salary increments, to bring his salary to $4,836. With good performance, he can be further promoted to GEO 1A2 grade in 2010 with a salary of $5,373. This would be in line with his peer who joined the teaching profession immediately upon graduation."

Unregistered 28-11-2014 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazyplane (Post 59426)
Quite sure Deputy Director salary in stat board cannot be 4500.

Could be because the news is outdated (at least 6 years back) or one of those stat boards with inflated titles where fresh grads come in as AD?

Or could be just MOE trying to smoke everyone..

Unregistered 28-11-2014 03:25 PM

Thanks. That's new to me. Why must sign this kind of documents, they can easily check from credit bureau. So confirm to offer ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59424)
just the signing the declaration you're free from financial embarrassment

Unregistered 29-11-2014 09:04 PM

rsalab inter

I found the below in one of the jobs ad :

Benefits
•Semi-Annual Performance Appraisals
•Simplified Jobscope due to Advanced Technological Systems
•Minimal Administrative Work due to Advanced Technological Systems
•Friendly Working Environment
•Vast Career Growth Opportunities
•Direct Communication with Management
•Young Energetic Team
•Team Bonding outings
•Flexibility in planning lessons

Pay attention to simplified job scope, minimum admin work and flexibility in planning lessons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59126)
I see that nowadays there are many tuition and tutorial centres - some famous names included - actively recruiting teachers, and they require trained teachers with MOE schools teaching experience.

I think this is indeed good opportunities for those trained teachers who've completed their bonds, yet feel swamped with extra non-teaching related admin duties, and are not appreciated in their current positions, i.e. not promoted regularly.

Heard that there is much more chance to concentrate on teaching duties when working in a tuition centre. Little admin, except those related to the classes taught, and definitely none of those time-wasting activities designed to boost the management KPI. Only drawback I can think of is that teaching on weekends is a must. In fact, weekends are busy periods.

Unregistered 04-12-2014 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 46511)
I went for the interview in November. Last week, i have received an email from MOE saying that i have cleared my interview and shortlisted for employment as GEO. the email stated my application will be considered in competition with other shortlisted candidates. I wonder what does that mean? :-

- anyone encountered this before, can share? what is the % to pass through this?
- i have a bad feeling that i am probably kept as a backup just in case any of the selected candidates gave up.

thanks in advance!

I got the same email too.. can anyone tell me what this email means?? Anyone heard from them soon after they receive it??

Unregistered 04-12-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59662)
I got the same email too.. can anyone tell me what this email means?? Anyone heard from them soon after they receive it??

It means you will get the job.

don't worry about that line. that one is just to 'scare' you and make them seem 'hard to get'. so you will stop considering other jobs.

Unregistered 04-12-2014 03:13 PM

For those mid career who got an offer, maybe can share how much they offered you with some background details.

First Degree: Pass/First Class etc.
Years of Working Experience:
Gross Salary of last Job:
Salary offered by MOE:
Year offered:

I'm considering a switch myself so I think would be useful if we have such info to consider.

Of course I know you don't go into teaching for the money and it's not a career that's going to make you rich but at least it would serve as a guide for those considering a switch.

Cheers!

alfiz 06-12-2014 01:20 AM

How much does a fresh graduate NIE teacher earns now ?

If 2 years ago under degree in EDU, the contract stated that your pay will be 2.7K upon graduation and 2 years from now, MOE states that salary for fresh teachers would be 3.5K, will the new teacher who signs based on old contract will get a new pay scale based on that year he/she graduates and not on the contract stipulated..? Thanks

Unregistered 06-12-2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 59668)
It means you will get the job.

don't worry about that line. that one is just to 'scare' you and make them seem 'hard to get'. so you will stop considering other jobs.

same here! i got the email too. it's so nerve wreaking. cant rly sleep until i receive a proper confirmation.

hopefully like what u say, that one liner is to "scare" the applicants, that's all. not jus another screening & comparing of CVs.

Unregistered 18-12-2014 04:53 AM

Anyone else got the email/letter? Went for interview 2-3 weeks ago, but no news so far. They did mention after the interview results will take 4-5 weeks, but just wondering if anyone else has gotten any response from them yet and what is the typical timeline for them to get back.