Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 01-12-2020, 01:12 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why did u give up a higher salary appointment?
There is a sweet spot. Once you ascend into the SEO grades, the additional work and responsibilities are disproportionately large compared to the salary increase.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:00 PM
Unregistered

From observation, coasting at GEO5 probably affords the highest remuneration per unit of work done… 😂 but should still try to do enough to avoid getting into the C-/D trench…
Quote:
There is a sweet spot. Once you ascend into the SEO grades, the additional work and responsibilities are disproportionately large compared to the salary increase.

Old 01-12-2020, 10:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
From observation, coasting at GEO5 probably affords the highest remuneration per unit of work done… 😂 but should still try to do enough to avoid getting into the C-/D trench…
Am currently a GEO4 in my sixth year of service, barely surviving with cca, form teacher (dealing with student issues and parents) and committee duties, with adhoc projects from IP and non-IP being arrowed at me. Somehow I see that Seo grade officers are offloaded from cca, form Teachership, teaching classes, and they just focus on their one portfolio. Is seo level actually more focussed and “less likely to get arrowed all over the place”, therefore not as hard as it seems? Just wondering.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:34 AM
Unregistered

I have been hearing alot about how KPs and those in the SEO grades have alot more administrative duties to fulfil ie. writing reports, SEM etc. Can an experienced KP enlighten us on what are some examples of these extra admin duties that a normal classroom teacher is not familiar with?
Old 03-12-2020, 01:54 AM
Unregistered

There's actually nothing much to ask. Once u get into seo grades, you just become less a teacher, but more an administrator which, for me, is not the reason why I joined teaching.

Interestingly, if I continue to pursue teaching track and become an ST, I also can't stand to imagine me doing lame ass PD sessions.
Old 04-12-2020, 10:11 PM
Unregistered

Smile Allowance for SH

Hi, i just cleared my SH interview this year.
Promoted to GEO5 in Apr.
So as of next yr im officially SH.
So do I get an responsibility allowance at the end of the year?
If yes, what is it? Is it true that if Im in GEO 5 - i will not get it?
Heard once in this forum that it is given to only those who are in GEO 4?
Ok, i could be wrong.
Please enlighten.
Thk u so much

Old 05-12-2020, 12:34 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi, i just cleared my SH interview this year.
Promoted to GEO5 in Apr.
So as of next yr im officially SH.
So do I get an responsibility allowance at the end of the year?
If yes, what is it? Is it true that if Im in GEO 5 - i will not get it?
Heard once in this forum that it is given to only those who are in GEO 4?
Ok, i could be wrong.
Please enlighten.
Thk u so much
The responsibility allowance is given as long as you are not yet SEO 1. But it is not much for GEO 5, less than $2,000 on an annual basis.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:09 PM
Unregistered

Wish to have a discussion here as I often heard from my teacher friends that teachers should just teach, and not dealing with all the non-teaching work.
I feel it bewildering why teachers have this misconception that teachers shouldn't be dealing with admin/non-teaching work. Other professional roles like police, firefighters, lawyers, doctors, and engineers all have their fair share of non-core tasks, and I don't hear any of them complaining about the "extra" work.
It's even more absurd hearing some teachers complaining about taking a CCA.
Shouldn't teachers go into the teaching career knowing that they have to perform both the teaching and non-teaching tasks, and not expecting anything less?
Old 06-12-2020, 05:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Wish to have a discussion here as I often heard from my teacher friends that teachers should just teach, and not dealing with all the non-teaching work.
I feel it bewildering why teachers have this misconception that teachers shouldn't be dealing with admin/non-teaching work. Other professional roles like police, firefighters, lawyers, doctors, and engineers all have their fair share of non-core tasks, and I don't hear any of them complaining about the "extra" work.
Shouldn't teachers go into the teaching career knowing that they have to perform both the teaching and non-teaching tasks, and not expecting anything less?
During the normal school term, teachers generally work about 60-70 hours a week. Work consists of teaching in a classroom (averaging 15-18 hours depending on subgrade), lesson planning & preparing resources (this takes up time), Remedial lessons (takes up about 3 hours a week), CCA (norm CCA time of about 3 hours a week - excludes CCA planning), marking (this takes up a lot of time for EL compo/humanities marking, but usually more than 5 hours a week), IP dept work that may involve preparing and editing level worksheets, organising level meetings, preparing level online lessons, organising sch events (e.g. EL, Maths, Humanities, MTL dept, etc), NON-IP dept work that may involve organising sch events or sch-based activities (e.g. CCE, ICT dept, etc) (event planning can take up A LOT of time), ALP/LLP/PD research work, parent engagement, nominating students for awards, updating student results, student remarks/student testimonials, occasional reflections on teaching, setting of exam papers, examining students for oral/marking of cohort-wide exams, classroom decorations, checking in with students on their well-being, other recess duties, etc.

I believe the complaining by teachers stems from the overwhelming amount of work that teachers need to do on a weekly basis. By the way, almost all teachers do work on weekends too...and I believe what I listed above is just what a normal teacher does. Middle managers (Level head, subject head, HOD) definitely do much more than what is listed above. Its true that teaching only accounts for 25%-30% of the work. The other 70% goes to the admin listed above and the list is non-exhaustive.

Hope this enlightens you and makes you better appreciate the amount of work that the teachers put in for the good of Singapore.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
During the normal school term, teachers generally work about 60-70 hours a week. This is the breakdown:
- Teaching in the classroom (about 32-40 periods depending on sub-grade) (16 to 20 hours a week)
- Lesson planning & preparing of additional resources to engage the students better (negligible)
- Remedial lessons (3 hours a week)
- CCA (supervise the students) (about 3 hours a week; this excludes CCA planning which includes RAMS, liaising with instructors & external vendors)
- Marking of students' work (negligible; takes up at least 5 hours a week and may be greater if we are talking about EL/MTL compo & humanities essays)
- Contact Time/Principal's Time (may be weekly or monthly depending on the school)
- IP Department work (e.g. EL/Math/Science/Humanities/MTL Department) which may involve planning and organising school events/activities, organising & preparing for level meetings, preparing & editing level worksheets, preparing level online lessons (now schools are hot on using ICT)
- Non-IP Department work (e.g. CCE/ICT/PD Department) which may involve planning and organising school/staff events/activities
- ALP/LLP/PD research work
- Engaging parents on students' progress in school
- Writing of reports/student remarks in the following events: nominating students for awards, student remarks for report book, student testimonials, discipline cases/school refusal/special needs (reports are required), referring students for counselling
- Updating student results
- Occasional reflections on teaching for PD purposes
- Courses to attend
- Setting of exam papers
- Examining students for oral/marking of cohort-wide exam papers
- Classroom decorations
- Checking-in with students on their well-being

The above is a non-exhaustive list. I believe the complaining by teachers stems from the overwhelming number of non-core tasks that teachers need to complete on a weekly basis. By the way, teachers do work on weekends too (even the most efficient ones). Middle managers (LH/SH/HOD) definitely do much more than what's listed above as they are doing more work on the school level and they definitely sacrifice a lot of sleep every week to complete their work. Therefore, it is true that teaching only accounts for 25-30% of the work for a teacher and the rest of the other 70-75% goes to what I have listed above.

Hope you are able to see the big picture now before you lament on this forum about why teachers are complaining about the amount of work that they are tasked to do.