Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 19-11-2020 08:39 PM

It's interesting cos my group of friends are the exact opposite. Sec school teachers all giving tuition now cos they damn free since they end school much earlier than the pri sch teachers. Most sec sch teachers giving tuition to the pri sch kids lol. The interconnectedness LOL.

Whatever it is, sec sch and pri sch both have the liberty of giving tuition, just that need to declare and got hour limit. No comparison between who has 'more time' (no such thing in MOE) to give tuition or who has it better etc. Both got their own set of challenges and both are draining (be it time or energy)

Unregistered 22-11-2020 10:52 PM

In the interest of financial planning as I am expecting a baby soon, anyone knows how much is the payout for the 2nd connect plan?

Unregistered 23-11-2020 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 149698)
In the interest of financial planning as I am expecting a baby soon, anyone knows how much is the payout for the 2nd connect plan?

CONNECT Year Maximum Payout*
GEO 1 - 5 (2015) & SEO 1 - 3 (2015)
4 $15,200 (60%)
7 $24,000 (75%)
10 $25,900 (80%)
15 $36,100 (80%)
20 $28,500 (80%)
25 $18,500 (80%)
30 $20,600 (100%)

Unregistered 24-11-2020 12:52 AM

This amount if before CPF deductions right?

Unregistered 25-11-2020 06:35 PM

UT teacher

Hi everyone,

I just got offered recently and would be starting my UT stint soon.

I have a few questions and was wondering if anyone can give any advice :)

1) What are the expectations and responsibilities of an UT? (Can be anything like how often do we teach, CCA responsibilities etc)

2) What are some things that you wish you could have done better or not done when you look back?

3) I am currently tutoring some students and I am debating whether to drop them as I do not want to over-commit to my tutees. If you know or have heard of anyone's experiences, do lmk!

Thank you from a junior looking forward to join the teaching fraternity ^_^

Have a great day ahead and its the school holidays!!! :)

Unregistered 25-11-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 149904)
Hi everyone,

I just got offered recently and would be starting my UT stint soon.

I have a few questions and was wondering if anyone can give any advice :)

1) What are the expectations and responsibilities of an UT? (Can be anything like how often do we teach, CCA responsibilities etc)

2) What are some things that you wish you could have done better or not done when you look back?

3) I am currently tutoring some students and I am debating whether to drop them as I do not want to over-commit to my tutees. If you know or have heard of anyone's experiences, do lmk!

Thank you from a junior looking forward to join the teaching fraternity ^_^

Have a great day ahead and its the school holidays!!! :)

The experience differs from school to school. From what I see, UTs usually do tag to a form class and CCA BUT it is more for experience and don’t have to do admin or planning etc. Worklosd is definitely less, no committees etc. You can definitely still juggle your tutees

Unregistered 26-11-2020 03:10 PM

What is the final age where one can get promoted, i.e. the age where you reach your CEP? Is it like 50 years old or 45?

Unregistered 27-11-2020 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 149964)
What is the final age where one can get promoted, i.e. the age where you reach your CEP? Is it like 50 years old or 45?

Not sure. Not an RO but my principal got promoted many years ago. He’s definitely older than 45...’most prob even older than 50 since his kid was like in her 30s

Unregistered 27-11-2020 02:43 PM

Think maybe only senior management(?) and HR would really know for sure, but from observation it seems highly variable. I've seen non-KP get to GEO5 in their 30s (probably higher CEP though), and also a GEO3 near retirement age…

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 149964)

Unregistered 27-11-2020 03:52 PM

I got my GEO 5 (then GEO 1A3) at the age of 33. Now I am 40 and will remained geo 5 till retirement since I stepped down from my KP position and just want to be a happy ordinary teacher.