Career as Teacher - Page 289 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 28-10-2020, 08:28 PM
Unregistered

Default Software tools for teachers

Would teachers be interested in using software tool to speed up marking and provides analytics to identify student's strength and weanknesses? I saw this at Snapngrade.com. Wonder if teachers are stressed put over marking pspers and homework?

Old 28-10-2020, 10:27 PM
Unregistered

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Will be graduating from NIE PGDE next year.

Would like to check that for a Teaching Scholar (Local),
(a) What is the starting CEP?
(b) Average years to reach each substantive grade (GEO 3, 4, 5, etc.)
(c) Will school accord greater opportunities / exposure (higher stake), even for BTs?
(d) Any other advice to boost Performance grade / CEP / maximize career growth.
(a) everyone starts with a CEP of GEO5. But your first 1-2 years of ranking will be important as that's when your potential is determined.
(b) like the earlier reply, it'll take a while. For males, they get GEO3 one year after confirmation. Females, 2. For the rest, it depends on your performance and potential
(c) don't assume the school will want to groom you. You have to get the basics right first. Like teaching well, managing your form class and cca, which can be quite daunting for bts. Of course if toy show initiative and competence, your ro and sls will turn be more willing to give you greater exposure.
(d)
My advice would be to always show a positive attitude in your work. Do everything the best that you can. Focus on your tnl and basics first. Build a reputation of competence. These take time. If you are serious about being a good teacher, it will take time. Don't run before you can walk.

Old 29-10-2020, 02:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Will be graduating from NIE PGDE next year.

Would like to check that for a Teaching Scholar (Local),
(a) What is the starting CEP?
(b) Average years to reach each substantive grade (GEO 3, 4, 5, etc.)
(c) Will school accord greater opportunities / exposure (higher stake), even for BTs?
(d) Any other advice to boost Performance grade / CEP / maximize career growth.
I have personally known a number of teaching scholars both local and overseas. All quit or forced to quit after their bonds were completed.

Old 29-10-2020, 02:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
(a) everyone starts with a CEP of GEO5. But your first 1-2 years of ranking will be important as that's when your potential is determined.
(b) like the earlier reply, it'll take a while. For males, they get GEO3 one year after confirmation. Females, 2. For the rest, it depends on your performance and potential
(c) don't assume the school will want to groom you. You have to get the basics right first. Like teaching well, managing your form class and cca, which can be quite daunting for bts. Of course if toy show initiative and competence, your ro and sls will turn be more willing to give you greater exposure.
(d)
My advice would be to always show a positive attitude in your work. Do everything the best that you can. Focus on your tnl and basics first. Build a reputation of competence. These take time. If you are serious about being a good teacher, it will take time. Don't run before you can walk.
Very good advice. I have come across teaching scholars who were very yaya papaya. Ended up, they got burnt and tio condemned and eventually left service.
Old 29-10-2020, 02:36 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sorry ah. Mai kan chiong. You focus on getting confirmation first. In your first few years, the most important thing to do is to display a willingness to learn and the willingness to apply what you have learnt and reflect on areas for improvement.

TSL doesn't enjoy much in the way of "automatic" or "given" advantages over others. You will have to work for it.
True. Only education merit scholarship and psc scholarship are automatic and given provided thr basics are in place. Saw some CMI MOE teaching scholars and teaching awards.

The worst thing is they publicly announced that they are moe teaching scholars but cmi.
Old 29-10-2020, 02:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
True. Only education merit scholarship and psc scholarship are automatic and given provided thr basics are in place. Saw some CMI MOE teaching scholars and teaching awards.

The worst thing is they publicly announced that they are moe teaching scholars but cmi.
What is the CEP assigned to EMS or PSC scholars? Is it smth like P6/SEO2 or much higher?

Old 29-10-2020, 03:07 PM
Unregistered

Hi all, I'm recently out of NS but havent applied to unis yet. So if I do start uni, itll be a while until I start.

Considered teaching when I was younger but I ended up chasing another type of career in poly. Recently while doing some life planning, I'm realising that teaching seems to be a much more viable option. However I have some concerns.

If I apply for the MOE scholarship, how much allowance can I expect to get? I'm trying not to burden my parents so much and studying for 4 years whilst not getting full time pay (?) does not give me confidence that I can be self reliant.

Also, I have always wanted to get tattoos (full back/chest/basically most places that would not show when you wear clothing). The common impression is that teachers must present themselves well and I am not sure if that would hinder my career/career progression if I do get it.

Many thanks for anyone that helps
Old 30-10-2020, 08:08 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all, I'm recently out of NS but havent applied to unis yet. So if I do start uni, itll be a while until I start.

Considered teaching when I was younger but I ended up chasing another type of career in poly. Recently while doing some life planning, I'm realising that teaching seems to be a much more viable option. However I have some concerns.

If I apply for the MOE scholarship, how much allowance can I expect to get? I'm trying not to burden my parents so much and studying for 4 years whilst not getting full time pay (?) does not give me confidence that I can be self reliant.

Also, I have always wanted to get tattoos (full back/chest/basically most places that would not show when you wear clothing). The common impression is that teachers must present themselves well and I am not sure if that would hinder my career/career progression if I do get it.

Allowance is only going to be enough for your personal upkeep. It was about 1k a month in my time, but today a realistic ballpark figure would be around 1.2-1.3k a month. You should be self-sufficient on the allowance since you would not have any other financial burdens related to your studies.

Nobody is going to check underneath your clothing for tattoos. If you have tattoos but they are completely hidden by your clothing, I don't see a problem.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 30-10-2020, 06:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

When I was a scholarship holder a few years ago, I received an allowance of $1000 a month, together with allowance for hostel and an overseas exchange. There are some optional funds you can apply for for external/non-academic activities.

As for tattoos, i personally know of some colleagues that have tattoos who have good character/professional. If it is hidden, then it's not an issue. I doubt there will ever be a situation where you will need to expose your torso.
Old 30-10-2020, 11:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

When I was a scholarship holder, i received $1000 a month for allowance. The schoalrship also paid for my hostel and overseas exchange. It is certainly enough for you to be independent.

I'm sure there are many teachers with tattoos who are mroally upright or have good character. That said, if your tattoos are not visible, it should not be an issue. After all, how often do we bare our torsos while teaching?