Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 28-10-2020 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148248)
Will be graduating from NIE PGDE next year.

Would like to check that for a Teaching Scholar (Local),
(a) What is the starting CEP?
(b) Average years to reach each substantive grade (GEO 3, 4, 5, etc.)
(c) Will school accord greater opportunities / exposure (higher stake), even for BTs?
(d) Any other advice to boost Performance grade / CEP / maximize career growth.

Sorry ah. Mai kan chiong. You focus on getting confirmation first. In your first few years, the most important thing to do is to display a willingness to learn and the willingness to apply what you have learnt and reflect on areas for improvement.

TSL doesn't enjoy much in the way of "automatic" or "given" advantages over others. You will have to work for it.

Unregistered 28-10-2020 08:28 PM

Software tools for teachers
 
Would teachers be interested in using software tool to speed up marking and provides analytics to identify student's strength and weanknesses? I saw this at Snapngrade.com. Wonder if teachers are stressed put over marking pspers and homework?

Unregistered 28-10-2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148248)
Will be graduating from NIE PGDE next year.

Would like to check that for a Teaching Scholar (Local),
(a) What is the starting CEP?
(b) Average years to reach each substantive grade (GEO 3, 4, 5, etc.)
(c) Will school accord greater opportunities / exposure (higher stake), even for BTs?
(d) Any other advice to boost Performance grade / CEP / maximize career growth.

(a) everyone starts with a CEP of GEO5. But your first 1-2 years of ranking will be important as that's when your potential is determined.
(b) like the earlier reply, it'll take a while. For males, they get GEO3 one year after confirmation. Females, 2. For the rest, it depends on your performance and potential
(c) don't assume the school will want to groom you. You have to get the basics right first. Like teaching well, managing your form class and cca, which can be quite daunting for bts. Of course if toy show initiative and competence, your ro and sls will turn be more willing to give you greater exposure.
(d)
My advice would be to always show a positive attitude in your work. Do everything the best that you can. Focus on your tnl and basics first. Build a reputation of competence. These take time. If you are serious about being a good teacher, it will take time. Don't run before you can walk.

Unregistered 29-10-2020 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148248)
Will be graduating from NIE PGDE next year.

Would like to check that for a Teaching Scholar (Local),
(a) What is the starting CEP?
(b) Average years to reach each substantive grade (GEO 3, 4, 5, etc.)
(c) Will school accord greater opportunities / exposure (higher stake), even for BTs?
(d) Any other advice to boost Performance grade / CEP / maximize career growth.

I have personally known a number of teaching scholars both local and overseas. All quit or forced to quit after their bonds were completed.

Unregistered 29-10-2020 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148278)
(a) everyone starts with a CEP of GEO5. But your first 1-2 years of ranking will be important as that's when your potential is determined.
(b) like the earlier reply, it'll take a while. For males, they get GEO3 one year after confirmation. Females, 2. For the rest, it depends on your performance and potential
(c) don't assume the school will want to groom you. You have to get the basics right first. Like teaching well, managing your form class and cca, which can be quite daunting for bts. Of course if toy show initiative and competence, your ro and sls will turn be more willing to give you greater exposure.
(d)
My advice would be to always show a positive attitude in your work. Do everything the best that you can. Focus on your tnl and basics first. Build a reputation of competence. These take time. If you are serious about being a good teacher, it will take time. Don't run before you can walk.

Very good advice. I have come across teaching scholars who were very yaya papaya. Ended up, they got burnt and tio condemned and eventually left service.

Unregistered 29-10-2020 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148264)
Sorry ah. Mai kan chiong. You focus on getting confirmation first. In your first few years, the most important thing to do is to display a willingness to learn and the willingness to apply what you have learnt and reflect on areas for improvement.

TSL doesn't enjoy much in the way of "automatic" or "given" advantages over others. You will have to work for it.

True. Only education merit scholarship and psc scholarship are automatic and given provided thr basics are in place. Saw some CMI MOE teaching scholars and teaching awards.

The worst thing is they publicly announced that they are moe teaching scholars but cmi.

Unregistered 29-10-2020 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148289)
True. Only education merit scholarship and psc scholarship are automatic and given provided thr basics are in place. Saw some CMI MOE teaching scholars and teaching awards.

The worst thing is they publicly announced that they are moe teaching scholars but cmi.

What is the CEP assigned to EMS or PSC scholars? Is it smth like P6/SEO2 or much higher?

Unregistered 29-10-2020 03:07 PM

Hi all, I'm recently out of NS but havent applied to unis yet. So if I do start uni, itll be a while until I start.

Considered teaching when I was younger but I ended up chasing another type of career in poly. Recently while doing some life planning, I'm realising that teaching seems to be a much more viable option. However I have some concerns.

If I apply for the MOE scholarship, how much allowance can I expect to get? I'm trying not to burden my parents so much and studying for 4 years whilst not getting full time pay (?) does not give me confidence that I can be self reliant.

Also, I have always wanted to get tattoos (full back/chest/basically most places that would not show when you wear clothing). The common impression is that teachers must present themselves well and I am not sure if that would hinder my career/career progression if I do get it.

Many thanks for anyone that helps :)

Unregistered 30-10-2020 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148310)
Hi all, I'm recently out of NS but havent applied to unis yet. So if I do start uni, itll be a while until I start.

Considered teaching when I was younger but I ended up chasing another type of career in poly. Recently while doing some life planning, I'm realising that teaching seems to be a much more viable option. However I have some concerns.

If I apply for the MOE scholarship, how much allowance can I expect to get? I'm trying not to burden my parents so much and studying for 4 years whilst not getting full time pay (?) does not give me confidence that I can be self reliant.

Also, I have always wanted to get tattoos (full back/chest/basically most places that would not show when you wear clothing). The common impression is that teachers must present themselves well and I am not sure if that would hinder my career/career progression if I do get it.

Many thanks for anyone that helps :)

Allowance is only going to be enough for your personal upkeep. It was about 1k a month in my time, but today a realistic ballpark figure would be around 1.2-1.3k a month. You should be self-sufficient on the allowance since you would not have any other financial burdens related to your studies.

Nobody is going to check underneath your clothing for tattoos. If you have tattoos but they are completely hidden by your clothing, I don't see a problem.

Unregistered 30-10-2020 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 148310)
Hi all, I'm recently out of NS but havent applied to unis yet. So if I do start uni, itll be a while until I start.

Considered teaching when I was younger but I ended up chasing another type of career in poly. Recently while doing some life planning, I'm realising that teaching seems to be a much more viable option. However I have some concerns.

If I apply for the MOE scholarship, how much allowance can I expect to get? I'm trying not to burden my parents so much and studying for 4 years whilst not getting full time pay (?) does not give me confidence that I can be self reliant.

Also, I have always wanted to get tattoos (full back/chest/basically most places that would not show when you wear clothing). The common impression is that teachers must present themselves well and I am not sure if that would hinder my career/career progression if I do get it.

Many thanks for anyone that helps :)

When I was a scholarship holder a few years ago, I received an allowance of $1000 a month, together with allowance for hostel and an overseas exchange. There are some optional funds you can apply for for external/non-academic activities.

As for tattoos, i personally know of some colleagues that have tattoos who have good character/professional. If it is hidden, then it's not an issue. I doubt there will ever be a situation where you will need to expose your torso.


All times are GMT +8. The time now is 05:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2