Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 19-08-2020, 06:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i am a current GEO 3, 5 years in service. Graduated straight from NIE BA/BSc programme and teaching non examinable subject (single subject) in a secondary school. Served NS, early 30s currently.

have been doing some projects in my school (low to high stake) but has been getting only a "C" for PB since in service.

Starting from this year, i have been appointed overall IC for my CCA (is this considered high stake position?) and have made it clear to my RO that I would like to take up some KP position starting 2021.

My SLs are not really young (late 40s to 50s) and my school culture is really good (happy to stay in my school).

However, I have been thinking about transferring school (or to HQ branch) to progress further in my career. But I have enjoyed teaching in my school and enjoyed good relationship with students and colleagues to the extent that we have regular meet up outside of school. I have heard of many political stories elsewhere and sometimes i have been told to "count my blessing" by many friends and seniors teaching in other schools.

I would like to progress up the rank (raising to SEO grade) in my career. I understand that being in my early 30s and still at GEO 3 means my progression is really slow. (maybe low CEP?)

Would like to seek the almighty forumers who can give me advice. Should i leave my current school (sacrifice the good office culture and relationship with students/colleague) for a better shot at SEO grade?
Can demand to take up KP position one meh? If you are good, the school would have offered or groomed you internally. What subject are you teaching that is only 1 and non exam one? Music??

Early 30s, still GEO 3. Means your CEP is really low. In another words, not suitable for KP positions. I have seen teachers hitting GEO 4 in their 4th year. Not scholar but B graders. Less than 30 years old.

If you like to cheong, good for you. You remind me of teachers who openly declared that they want to take up ST ship but then they are really not competent strong teachers in their cirriculum leadership.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 19-08-2020, 06:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sorry, forgot to mention that I was promoted to GEO 3 in 2016. Have been at GEO 3 since then.
Your GEO 3 promotion in 2016 is a cohort promotion. Meant for guys with NS who doesn't screw up. I have seen male teachers who screwed up and didn't even get their geo 3 promotion neven after working for a few years..

Old 19-08-2020, 07:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
i am a current GEO 3, 5 years in service. Graduated straight from NIE BA/BSc programme and teaching non examinable subject (single subject) in a secondary school. Served NS, early 30s currently.

have been doing some projects in my school (low to high stake) but has been getting only a "C" for PB since in service.

Starting from this year, i have been appointed overall IC for my CCA (is this considered high stake position?) and have made it clear to my RO that I would like to take up some KP position starting 2021.

My SLs are not really young (late 40s to 50s) and my school culture is really good (happy to stay in my school).

However, I have been thinking about transferring school (or to HQ branch) to progress further in my career. But I have enjoyed teaching in my school and enjoyed good relationship with students and colleagues to the extent that we have regular meet up outside of school. I have heard of many political stories elsewhere and sometimes i have been told to "count my blessing" by many friends and seniors teaching in other schools.

I would like to progress up the rank (raising to SEO grade) in my career. I understand that being in my early 30s and still at GEO 3 means my progression is really slow. (maybe low CEP?)

Would like to seek the almighty forumers who can give me advice. Should i leave my current school (sacrifice the good office culture and relationship with students/colleague) for a better shot at SEO grade?

Hope to shed some light on your queries. I am not a scholar, just a normal degree holder - I dont even hold an honours degree. I got SEO when I was 37 years old and SEO2 3 years later because of my CEP. I was grateful to have a boss who fought tooth and nail for me to raise my CEP when I was a young HOD. CEP for KPs are discussed at cluster level. He raised my CEP to be the highest in the cluster.

Overall IC for CCA is not considered a high-stake position and going to HQ would require you to have a CEP of SEO1 before you are considered. If you are really keen to go HQ, I suggest you have a word with the SLs. In addition, the pasture in other school may not be better since you mentioned you enjoy good relationships with students and colleagues. Lift as an SEO may not be all rosy as well.

The progression pathway now is slower compared to the past where one could rise up the ranks quickly because its congested. HODs cannot move up to be SLs as there are no vacancies available (unless you are a scholar - MOE will have positions for you).

My suggestion is to have a talk with your RO to discuss where you can contribute and where you can improve.

Old 19-08-2020, 09:07 PM
Unregistered

Default KP Ship

Quote:

My personal take.. give that you are earmarked to be CCA IC, it means, the school leaders have confidence in you.. it is a good platform for you to shine... Do something productive to enhance the CCA experience.. ..many CCA ics just focus on doing the basic job required of the CCA... they forget about building pride within the CCA... developing students' self and peer leadership through suitable experiences etc...

Stay for another 2 to 3 years.. if nothing changes.. then consider OPE... by then, you can write in your portfolio as having managed a CCA ..
Old 20-08-2020, 12:06 PM
Unregistered

Male, early 30s. I started in 2013, promoted to GEO 3 in 2014 and was promoted to GEO 4 in 2016. Have been in that scale since. I think initially my previous school was grooming me for leadership positions but I did not hold any posts except for OIC in a committee (wasn’t even OIC for my CCA).

Tbh I am not chasing to be promoted. If it comes it comes. I don’t envy my SHs or HODs. I get to do what I enjoy which is teaching. And going home on time. After changing school, i even have lesser responsibilities (which I am fine with).

For you who intend to take up positions, you need to let your RO know and discuss how they can help you. If there are no developments, most likely the school doesn’t see you in a leadership role. If you sense that, you have to change your school and try again over there.
Old 20-08-2020, 05:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Male, early 30s. I started in 2013, promoted to GEO 3 in 2014 and was promoted to GEO 4 in 2016. Have been in that scale since. I think initially my previous school was grooming me for leadership positions but I did not hold any posts except for OIC in a committee (wasn’t even OIC for my CCA).

Tbh I am not chasing to be promoted. If it comes it comes. I don’t envy my SHs or HODs. I get to do what I enjoy which is teaching. And going home on time. After changing school, i even have lesser responsibilities (which I am fine with).

For you who intend to take up positions, you need to let your RO know and discuss how they can help you. If there are no developments, most likely the school doesn’t see you in a leadership role. If you sense that, you have to change your school and try again over there.
To be promoted to GEO 4 within 3 years of service, your CEP must had been very high to begin with. Definitely a sign that your previous school was grooming you for leadership positions.

From your sharing, can see and feel that you are happy and fine with what you have. Lesser responsibilities and getting to go home on time. To be honest, I am the same. I value personal time and life more. I worked closely with a number of heads, can see and feel their stress level. Even receiving emails from them at midnight and once even at close to 2am.

For those who want to cheong, good for you and go for it if this is really what you want. To be honest, I dun need more responsibilities. Happy with what I have now. Great to see that you enjoy teaching. In my course of teaching, have seen heads in HODs who left due to being overwhelmed. Doesn't help if you have SLs who are constantly on the ball.

Old 20-08-2020, 08:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilkyFloor View Post
it is good to be a teacher
A geo 4/5 teacher who can just focus on teaching. This is really good.

Not involved in office politics, admin and etc.. Envious of KPs? Wait till you see the amount of things they are doing and clearing..
Old 21-08-2020, 02:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Yes, they claimed its confidential. But also on voluntary basis. But you need to login your IAMS account which is basically your NRIC. so its traceable.
Did the old school climate surveys in the past also require IAMS login?
Old 21-08-2020, 06:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Did the old school climate surveys in the past also require IAMS login?
They give you some login and password pregenerated for you. Not IAMS lor. Now it's IAMS super easy to see who you are. Just saying.
Old 22-08-2020, 06:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
They give you some login and password pregenerated for you. Not IAMS lor. Now it's IAMS super easy to see who you are. Just saying.
But it would still be confidential right?