Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Career as Teacher (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/1758-career-teacher.html)

Unregistered 31-07-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 142989)
Is it true that cross-level Teachers (secondary to primary) will be reassessed and not be promoted for three years?

I've a colleague from crossed from JC to Sec last year and got promoted this year.

Unregistered 01-08-2020 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143017)
I'm a recent graduate from a local uni (male, FCH) who was offered 3.8k starting pay for contract teaching

Am I being underpaid? I read in this thread that some are already getting 3.9k with just second upper...

First question: did you factor in NS increment
Second question: is your uni degree one of the core teaching subjects? E.g. sciences, languages, geography, math etc?

Unregistered 01-08-2020 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143075)
First question: did you factor in NS increment
Second question: is your uni degree one of the core teaching subjects? E.g. sciences, languages, geography, math etc?

Yes to both...it already includes NS, and my uni major aligned to my teaching subject (Chemistry)

Unregistered 01-08-2020 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143080)
Yes to both...it already includes NS, and my uni major aligned to my teaching subject (Chemistry)

3.9 is high. I only got a low side of 3k years back when I joined MOE

Unregistered 02-08-2020 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143017)
I'm a recent graduate from a local uni (male, FCH) who was offered 3.8k starting pay for contract teaching

Am I being underpaid? I read in this thread that some are already getting 3.9k with just second upper...

When were you offered and when was the second upper person offered? Look at the economy now. Starting salary takes into account prevailing economic conditions. If you’re not happy with 3.8k, there are many others in line to take your place.

Unregistered 02-08-2020 02:37 AM

I have agreed to take on an SH position. Would value advice from those who have trodden the path before me - what helped you cope, what pitfalls did you meet and what advice would you give to someone taking on a leadership role for the first time?

Grateful for any advice!

Unregistered 02-08-2020 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143126)
I have agreed to take on an SH position. Would value advice from those who have trodden the path before me - what helped you cope, what pitfalls did you meet and what advice would you give to someone taking on a leadership role for the first time?

Grateful for any advice!

Be prepared for more office politics at the higher level. Learn to read your SLs.

Unregistered 02-08-2020 11:05 PM

Quote:

Grateful for any advice!

Can provide a bit more context? Home grown? IP or student develop? When does it start? Your background?

Unregistered 03-08-2020 12:40 AM

Quote:

Grateful for any advice!

Agreed to take on SH position? So you are one now or you have agreed to be groomed to be one?

Unregistered 03-08-2020 09:46 AM

OP here, am grateful for the help and heartened by the support! I understand it will not be easy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143154)
Can provide a bit more context? Home grown? IP or student develop? When does it start? Your background?

I’ll be taking it up in my current school, replacing the current SH who is leaving. It is a primarily IP position but it is expected I will also do dual SH duties for another non-IP portfolio (e.g. Pupil Welfare), as the previous SH did. It will be one year internal appointment first starting next year. As for my background, I would be considered an experienced teacher, but I definitely have less than 10 years in the service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 143156)
Agreed to take on SH position? So you are one now or you have agreed to be groomed to be one?

I will take on the internal SH appointment beginning next year.